The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Coffeetime
I know of someone on here that received an offer a few days ago. She's international as well. Not sure if I've asked, but where are you from?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm from Boston in the US! I'm trying (and failing) to be patient.
Original post by lan_before_time

I'm from DC! You're the first person I've seen who's also from the Northeast!

I got an offer from Edinburgh about a week after I applied in Physics. Just hang on! I guess you're applying to another school, so it could be different, but still, you'll be fine!
Reply 1982
Original post by Iridann
*Checks email obsessively for word from imperial*

Imperial has just acknowledged that I exist...:biggrin:
What course are you applying for?
Original post by bestsnow

I got an offer from Edinburgh about a week after I applied in Physics. Just hang on! I guess you're applying to another school, so it could be different, but still, you'll be fine!

Omg there are so many Americans haha! I'm from Cleveland and I got an offer from Edinburgh for economics and mathematics about 3 weeks after I sent my application. Good luck! :smile:
Original post by ak2015
Omg there are so many Americans haha! I'm from Cleveland and I got an offer from Edinburgh for economics and mathematics about 3 weeks after I sent my application. Good luck! :smile:

Thanks! Econ and Math sounds really cool!

I've seen a lot of Americans, but not many from the West Coast. I wonder why that is... Surely it's not just because it's farther for them? Part of the reason why I'm applying to the UK is *because* it's so far from home.
Thanks! Econ and Math sounds really cool!

I've seen a lot of Americans, but not many from the West Coast. I wonder why that is... Surely it's not just because it's farther for them? Part of the reason why I'm applying to the UK is *because* it's so far from home.

I think it's just not as prevalent there. Here, we have college fairs British Universities visit, and we have them visiting our schools themselves. I thin distance honestly is a big part of it. The difference between someone from the northeast going to the UK and someone from Cali going to the UK is huge. I mean, that's a tremendous distance, and plane tickets would be extremely expensive. Part of my agreement with my parents is that I would only visit home once a year because of travel costs, and I'm nowhere near as far away as someone from the West Coast.

I'm another northeastern baby, NYC. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rachu
The wait is so depressing :mad:

I agree! Manchester emailed me asking for my transcripts. I'm not sure if that's good though.

Original post by lan_before_time

I'm from NC. Well originally upstate NY. I completely understand the patience dilemma.
Reply 1988
Original post by Coffeetime
I agree! Manchester emailed me asking for my transcripts. I'm not sure if that's good though.

I'm from NC. Well originally upstate NY. I completely understand the patience dilemma.

I would consider any news that is not a rejection to be good :smile:
Original post by robthehero
I'm another northeastern baby, NYC. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I remember you! :smile: Did you get any offers from the universities that you applied to?

I'm in northern New Jersey! :tongue:

It seems like this thread is being taken over by Americans. I'm quite surprised there are so many applicants from the US. People have given me the most wildest looks when I tell them that I applied to universities in UK.
Original post by bloodoranges
I'm in northern New Jersey! :tongue:

It seems like this thread is being taken over by Americans. I'm quite surprised there are so many applicants from the US. People have given me the most wildest looks when I tell them that I applied to universities in UK.

Haha, same here. They just find it so weird for some reason...
Reply 1992
Original post by Alex347_
Yes I was so impressed :biggrin:. Politics. You?

Haha, same! They seemed pretty keen for me to put them as my firm too, it made my day! :biggrin: Ooo, interesting. I'm applying for Linguistics. :smile:
Haha, same here. They just find it so weird for some reason...

Same here loll!! All these random people keep telling me that I shouldn't go to university abroad in the UK and that I'm crazy or insane, but I'm like LOLOLOL BYEEEEEEE
Original post by ak2015
Same here loll!! All these random people keep telling me that I shouldn't go to university abroad in the UK and that I'm crazy or insane, but I'm like LOLOLOL BYEEEEEEE

Excusing my ignorance but why is studying in the UK so popular/appealing to overseas applicants? Just curious :smile:
Since i have had my application sent off yesterday, i have checked track ATLEAST 6 times im going insane.To any offer holders, did you get a email from ucas saying you have a offer or do you just randomly log on ucas track??
Original post by TheMagican
Since i have had my application sent off yesterday, i have checked track ATLEAST 6 times im going insane.To any offer holders, did you get a email from ucas saying you have a offer or do you just randomly log on ucas track??

With Sheffield and Newcastle I got an email from UCAS saying my track had updated but with Leeds I got an email from the university and then my track didn't update for a few days! So if I were you I'd just wait for an email instead of panicking yourself with track :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by AmyPilot
Excusing my ignorance but why is studying in the UK so popular/appealing to overseas applicants? Just curious :smile:

It's not. I go to an international school with IB classes, so people tend to gravitate towards the UK (they appreciate IB better).

But, other than that, people think you're crazy and most people don't think of it. It must just be a coincidence that there are so many Americans on this thread.

Studying in Scotland is slightly more popular because the admissions officers do tours across the country to get people to apply.
It's not. I go to an international school with IB classes, so people tend to gravitate towards the UK (they appreciate IB better).

But, other than that, people think you're crazy and most people don't think of it. It must just be a coincidence that there are so many Americans on this thread.

Studying in Scotland is slightly more popular because the admissions officers do tours across the country to get people to apply.

So do you get to apply for 5 UK courses and then American ones too?
Original post by Pollllllllllllly
So do you get to apply for 5 UK courses and then American ones too?

Yup, I'm applying to a couple of Ivies and state schools as well.

Latest

Trending

Trending