The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

cherrychocolate
That was between 2 of us btw.Not just me!

They were all like 27/28 odd kilos(almost 30,I rounded up...)...

It's 32kg before it gets rejected by the baggage handlers I know that much.I think it gets one of those 'heavy' stickers too....

And yep,they were big suitcases.

I went to America...hellooooo shopping.

One of the suitcases had a wicker basket inside too which is pretty damn heavy.

And yes,I realised how heavy they were.We had to pull them to the check in area ya know!

Yep i was in New York in the last week of AUgust. I had the biggest size suitcase that Virgin Atlantic allows and that only came to under 24kg - it was huge and full of electronics and had 2 of those standy up iron steamer things in for my mum and nan from Macy's. It was packed to the rim and I just cant comprehend someone with 2 30kg suitcases - they would have to be big and wouldn't have fitted in the overhead storage on the train, surely? Moreover, as they were so big, why would the guard make the suggestion? 30kg is a very heavy. lol.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
I don't know why the guard suggested it.I guess he didn't realise how heavy they were but seriously,my friend and I were super puzzled and even questioned him because we were thinking 'that can't be right!'

I'm fully aware of how heavy 30kg(or just under) is.I'm the one who had to pull it!

May I hazard a guess and assume you are a guy?Girls need lots of luggage!I also had the clothes I took out there(pretty much a whole wardrobes worth),about 15 pairs of shoes....etc etc.

I found closing them extremely difficult...I was terrified the TSA would open them and not be able to get them closed again!
cherrychocolate
I don't know why the guard suggested it.I guess he didn't realise how heavy they were but seriously,my friend and I were super puzzled and even questioned him because we were thinking 'that can't be right!'

I'm fully aware of how heavy 30kg(or just under) is.I'm the one who had to pull it!

May I hazard a guess and assume you are a guy?Girls need lots of luggage!I also had the clothes I took out there(pretty much a whole wardrobes worth),about 15 pairs of shoes....etc etc.

I found closing them extremely difficult...I was terrified the TSA would open them and not be able to get them closed again!

lol. you girls and your shopping hey. yeah, i'm a guy :smile:
cherrychocolate

How could you possibly need 15 pairs of shoes?:confused: I have 3, and 1 pair of those is superfluous!
My girlfriend has over 50. She was a good girl this year though, she only took 40 to Norwich.

Although 6 of the ones she left behind were purely because they needed rehealing.
Reply 85
I took one suitcase weighing 20kg to last me 9 months in America.
Reply 86
arkbar
I took one suitcase weighing 20kg to last me 9 months in America.

Yes, but I took one large rucksack weighing 20kg to last me 3 months in America....and I came back with one large rucksack, one small rucksack and one holdall, collectively weighing 36kg lol.

British Airways didn't even mention it (I think it was because the plane was EMPTY - very nice having 3 seats to myself to lie down across!) but then Easyjet from London to Newcastle were arses and were like "erm you know its £5 per kilogram over....which since the limit is 23kg then you've got to pay £65" and I was just so stressed (bad journey, missed flight, etc etc) I was like "I DON'T CARE....I'LL PAY IT - I JUST WANT TO GET HOME - I'VE BEEN AWAKE FOR OVER 24 HOURS NOW AND TRAVELLED ACROSS LONDON AT RUSH HOUR ARRRRGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH" lol so the woman at the check-in desk phoned someone up, then turned to me and said "OK, nevermind, we'll let you off" :biggrin: haha! She really made my day :smile:

Anyway point of the story - Ali I bet you come back with at least twice as much as you took! :biggrin:
Reply 87
Bah, humbug! But it doesn't matter 'cos I'm allowed 2 23kg suitcases if I so wish :cool:
Nooooooooo, just found out today that my parents can't take me back to durham and that i have to go on the train. :eek: :frown:
Reply 89
My parents tried that one on me. They got a hefty smack on the figurative bottom.
Can't blame them really, they have made that journey 11 times now. They promise to bring the rest of my stuff when they visit my sister in Leeds
Reply 91
Itchynscratchy
Can't blame them really, they have made that journey 11 times now. They promise to bring the rest of my stuff when they visit my sister in Leeds

My Dad has travelled from my home to Durham, or the same journey in reverse, over 30 times in the past 2 years....haha.

But then I only live in Newcastle, so it's not that big a deal :biggrin:
Reply 92
Friday will be my Dad's fifth 2 1/2 hr boat and 4 1/2 hour car journey each way to Durham. :biggrin:

At least he has my company on the way over.
Reply 93
My parents and I have to stay at a Travelodge on the way up, because it's too long a journey to do in a day. :redface:
Reply 94
Why can you weaklings not handle trains and insist on making your parents go everywhere?
Is there some magic and incredibly bulky thing that you all brought last year and I didn't?
Reply 95
I want to take my guitar and my keyboard and my taekwon-do sparring equipment, but if I got the train I'm not sure how I'd take any of those things. Granted, the keyboard is less important, but the others matter to me a lot. Besides, I'm a girl, with lots of girly stuff...
Reply 96
arkbar
Why can you weaklings not handle trains and insist on making your parents go everywhere?
Is there some magic and incredibly bulky thing that you all brought last year and I didn't?

Last year I brought a Widescreen TV with TV stand which took up the back seat of our car. It's why my Dad had to make two trips to get all my stuff there, haha :biggrin:

And yes, I brought a TV to Durham - in the year that you live out of college it's perfectly acceptable! Note that now I'm going back into college I won't have a TV :wink:
Reply 97
My dad's driving me up on his birthday.....:rolleyes:
Reply 98
rach, off the point here, but any chance you can tell me whos sharing my flat thingy/kitchen place?

no worry if you cant :smile:
I need 15 pairs of shoes in case I can't find one to match my outfit...with 15 there's bound to be a pair that remotely match!

I'm trying to whittle down my stuff to pack for uni....it's going OK.I cleared out my wardrobes the other day and put the stuff in the charity bag....managed to fill a whole bag!

It's just bags and shoes.I've put loads in a bag which I know I'm never ever going to use but I'm saying to myself 'just in case...' arggghhh!!

Kind of random but how many bath towels/hand towels are people taking?I don't know how many to take.

Poor everyone with their long journeys(apart from you Newcastle people...)....it will take me about 2 hours absolutely tops.Probably less as the person who is driving me there always drives at 100mph down motorways and things....hmm...

It's only 45 minutes or so on the train too.Woo!

Latest