The Student Room Group

Can I still study medicine?

So I did my first year of AS in bio chem and maths but I didn't do great so I moved to another college and now I am doing them all over again. I have been told that no matter how good of grades I achieve this time around I will never be able to study medicine. Please confirm.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shekibii
So I did my first year of AS in bio chem and maths but I didn't do great so I moved to another college and now I am doing them all over again. I have been told that no matter how good of grades I achieve this time around I will never be able to study medicine. Please confirm.

You've taken your a levels over 3 years so that is a problem for many many universities. You can try through graduate routes instead so medicine is not completely out of the window but yes, it does make things tricky for undergrad applications :sadnod:.
Original post by Neostigmine
You've taken your a levels over 3 years so that is a problem for many many universities. You can try through graduate routes instead so medicine is not completely out of the window but yes, it does make things tricky for undergrad applications :sadnod:.

I agree completely. You have almost certainly ruled out applications for undergrad entry.

Sorry. But maybe look into Dentistry instead...? You will be ruled out by many Universities. I dont know anyone who went into graduate entry with 3 years of A Levels
Original post by RoughWritings
Sorry. But maybe look into Dentistry instead...? You will be ruled out by many Universities. I dont know anyone who went into graduate entry with 3 years of A Levels

A levels are far less important when it comes to graduate entry :yes:
Reply 5

Because they're basically the same, right?
Reply 6
I am applying for medicine 2015 entry, I have a 640 UKCAT and 4 A2s maths (A), Chemistry(A), Biology(A), Physics (B).
I was wondering If anyone could suggest any Universities that I should Apply to?
I would be very grateful for any help :smile:

May i ask why do universities care or frown upon whether it took someone 3 yeras to complete their A levels? I a mean some people take a lot more. Is it because they want to distinguish between people?

Did you have any extenuating circumstances?

Original post by mirm
I am applying for medicine 2015 entry, I have a 640 UKCAT and 4 A2s maths (A), Chemistry(A), Biology(A), Physics (B).
I was wondering If anyone could suggest any Universities that I should Apply to?
I would be very grateful for any help :smile:

Don't hijack someone else's thread, it's beyond rude. Post here instead:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2112295
nah apply to dentist u can probs make that or pharmacy
Reply 10
sorry didn't realise
Original post by 08Mercyf
May i ask why do universities care or frown upon whether it took someone 3 yeras to complete their A levels? I a mean some people take a lot more. Is it because they want to distinguish between people?

Because they have plenty of applicants who complete their A levels in the "normal" two years of sixth form or college. A levels are designed as 2 year courses. They want to ensure that people can cope with the stress etc and not do several resits.
Original post by russellwallace
Because they have plenty of applicants who complete their A levels in the "normal" two years of sixth form or college. A levels are designed as 2 year courses. They want to ensure that people can cope with the stress etc and not do several resits.

:smile:
What if I resit the Biology A Level (A the first time) as a EU (non-UK) student? I have not studied A Levels in school (did high school in foreign language), only independently. How do they count the years I took to study the A levels in this situation?
Original post by the.leyton
What if I resit the Biology A Level (A the first time) as a EU (non-UK) student? I have not studied A Levels in school (did high school in foreign language), only independently. How do they count the years I took to study the A levels in this situation?

If you sat it before it's a resit. Why did you/would you do that? You may have stuffed up big time unless there is a lot more to your academic record than we can see here. You have to own up to the exams you have done. If they find out otherwise it's academic fraud and you will probably get turfed out.
Original post by russellwallace
If you sat it before it's a resit. Why did you/would you do that? You may have stuffed up big time unless there is a lot more to your academic record than we can see here. You have to own up to the exams you have done. If they find out otherwise it's academic fraud and you will probably get turfed out.

Oh, I'm not thinking about lying. I just wanted to show the unis that I want to improve (or more probably, that the A did not represent my actual knowledge). Though it's a bit late for that, as I started a Medicine course in my country and apparently they don't like that at all.
Oh, I'm not thinking about lying. I just wanted to show the unis that I want to improve (or more probably, that the A did not represent my actual knowledge). Though it's a bit late for that, as I started a Medicine course in my country and apparently they don't like that at all.

No, they do not like transfers at all. If you have a place on a course they look at that as being fine. To transfer you would be taking a place from some one else who does not have a place. Having done that I think you have just about destroyed any chance of getting a place in a UK Med school. Since I assume the school you are at is in the EU, why would you want to move?
Reply 17

Did they call you for interview,even if you are studying medicine in another country?
Original post by danu08
Did they call you for interview,even if you are studying medicine in another country?

Yes, Cambridge did. Gonville and Caius said they were ok with it.
Reply 19
Yes, Cambridge did. Gonville and Caius said they were ok with it.

Only Cambridge or are you waiting for other replies?Thank you:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending