The Student Room Group

Slug Problem

I was sat in my room last night, and spotted something on the carpet. A slug. It's trail told me that it came up between the carpet and skirting board, which I shoved a bit of kitchen roll in so they can't keep coming in. I dont think I've got all the holes though, and so I might get overrun with slugs :-( so 2 questions really:

Is this something my landlord should sort out for me? Block up holes and stuff??

Whats the best way to prevent this from happening again? Incase the landlords do nothing? I'm on the ground floor,and I've already sprinkled slug pellets outside my room on the floor, I'm not trusting thats enough though!

Any help appreciated :-)
well i personally would contact your landlord and complain. He should then fix it, however, if he does'nt. i would suggest pooring insanely large amounts of slug pellets into the places they are coming from, and then block the holes off, with silicon or somthing equally permanent. :wink:
piiiink
I was sat in my room last night, and spotted something on the carpet. A slug. It's trail told me that it came up between the carpet and skirting board, which I shoved a bit of kitchen roll in so they can't keep coming in. I dont think I've got all the holes though, and so I might get overrun with slugs :-( so 2 questions really:

Is this something my landlord should sort out for me? Block up holes and stuff??

Whats the best way to prevent this from happening again? Incase the landlords do nothing? I'm on the ground floor,and I've already sprinkled slug pellets outside my room on the floor, I'm not trusting thats enough though!

We have that occasionally... or at least slug trails with no signs of slugs. It's probably a sign that you're suffering from damp under the flooring and around the skirting board. Don't put slug pellets down though... seeing as they are poisonous. Salt would be a better bet, and only then if you fancy clearing up dead slugs.

Probably worth at least mentioning to your Landlord though.
Thats nasty.

A few years ago one managed to get into my house, but the heat/salt content on the floor didn't let it get too far
Reply 4
your landlord should sort it out. Thats bad! :frown:
Reply 5
Report it and salt the hole.

...then when you leave, salt the soil outside in the garden too.
Reply 6
urgh, salt the holes, tell your landlord. drop words like 'health risk' and stuff. ewwww.
I can't add any additional help to what's already been mentioned. But I think the fact that you have a slug invasion is quite amusing, and I feel inspired to write about it or something. It shouldn't go to waste. If I make any money from it i'll give you a 10% cut.
Reply 8
I quite often go down into the kitchen and find a slug on the floor by the skirting board thing. I usually throw a load of salt on it, watch it writh, and then throw it in the bin after it's released a load of gunk. I make a huge wall of salt around a hole in the board - that usually does the trick until the salt disappears.
Reply 9
piiiink

Sig.fig. has queried where could He go to buy a snake. You may offer your slug to him. See the link below!
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=290462
:biggrin:
Really, you need to talk to the landlord about it.
This could inspire reams of slug-invasion poetry...

Perhaps you could write a WW2-style poem about it to your landlord. I think it could show how serious and emotional the matter is, and how vital it is that change is promoted.
Reply 11
Salt the floor, Then expanding foam the holes
We have a similar slug problem. And earwigs, woodlice and spiders. Apart from that the house is lovely :rolleyes:
Reply 13
Thankyou for all the advice :-) Shall phone the estate agent tomorrow. I wanted to check it'd be their problem to fix because the guy makes me feel like a proper idiot sometimeseven when I'm complaining about legitimate things! I'malso about to go salt my room :-) Hehe. Thankyouuu, and also yeah, any money you make from my inspiring story, would love a cut of the profits ;-)
Reply 14
SALT SALT SALT, please not i am not for harming animals, just in instances of massive infestations with the potential killing power of a tsr member :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending