The Student Room Group

Is it only women that like flat/skinny?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
I've been skinny and was miserable. Truth is, people don't like it when you're skinny as they can't accept that it's not a conscious decision. People assumed I never ate, that I was anorexic, that I was a bitch. I couldn't find clothes to fit... Even my size 6 trousers had to be taken in. Tbh I still got attention from guys, but I felt very unattractive - constantly bombarded with 'men like real women' and I certainly did not feel like a real woman.

I've gained weight since then and grew hips and a bum and generally got a more womanly shape. I'm still slim but not skinny like I'll break if you bump into me (clothes still have to be altered though! Can't win!). I feel a lot more confident and attractive, but I am aware that I don't want to gain much more weight. I think slim and curvy is fine, just because someone had shape it doesn't mean they can't be slim.

I think girls and guys need to stop pitting body types against each other. It's pointless, no one will ever agree because everyone has preferences.

This is absolutely my experience too and I couldn't have put it better myself.

When I was sixteen, my prom dress was a size zero. I spent forever being told I 'had no features / no ass / no breasts' etc., etc. I then went totally the other way, gained a ****e tonne of weight and was forever being told 'skinny is prettier, you're too fat'. I'm now a size fourteen and for my height and composition, finally at a size I'm happy with.
Original post by Freudian Slip
This is absolutely my experience too and I couldn't have put it better myself.

When I was sixteen, my prom dress was a size zero. I spent forever being told I 'had no features / no ass / no breasts' etc., etc. I then went totally the other way, gained a ****e tonne of weight and was forever being told 'skinny is prettier, you're too fat'. I'm now a size fourteen and for my height and composition, finally at a size I'm happy with.

Prom was such a minefield for me. I remember going to a dress hire shop and NOTHING fitted me. Then being told by the lady there "I don't think we'll have anything to fit you because you're so skinny, we've mainly got strapless dresses and that wouldn't suit your frame" basically highlighting how flat chested I was! I was so insulted! Imagine if they said to an overweight person "I don't think we have any dresses that will fit you because you're too fat, they wouldn't suit your frame"... I know those sorts of things can be implied but to say it so blatantly... So rude.
I'm slim and curvy, and I'd have it no other way :smile:
I'm quite skinny but I've got 'junk in the right places' and my legs are visibly longer than my torso - rather be this way because any bigger would make me look weird at my height plus I don't even like the bloated feeling after eating so I very much doubt I'd like being curvy.

I've got curvy friends who know just how to shake it and it suits them but I don't think I can pull it off!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
Prom was such a minefield for me. I remember going to a dress hire shop and NOTHING fitted me. Then being told by the lady there "I don't think we'll have anything to fit you because you're so skinny, we've mainly got strapless dresses and that wouldn't suit your frame" basically highlighting how flat chested I was! I was so insulted! Imagine if they said to an overweight person "I don't think we have any dresses that will fit you because you're too fat, they wouldn't suit your frame"... I know those sorts of things can be implied but to say it so blatantly... So rude.

Haha, I got quite the reverse once. I went to Topshop with a friend who wanted a new shirt (when I was larger) and the sales assistant - honest to God - looked me up and down like I'd kicked her dog and said: 'er, love, there's nothing in here that's gonna fit you'. Ouch! I'm almost six foot tall too, which has never helped. :giggle:
Can someone show me a picture of what you mean by skinny?
Original post by Mankytoes
Ha, I like how you are saying we shouldn't compare them, then clearly taking the skinny girl's side. Call it meat, fat, whatever, bottom line is curvy girls are the sexiest to me.

Nope. Both times I'm saying it how it is.
You shouldn't put the body types against each other, and you shouldn't disguise the word 'fat' with 'meat'.

And good for you.
Original post by Strawberry68
Nope. Both times I'm saying it how it is.
You shouldn't put the body types against each other, and you shouldn't disguise the word 'fat' with 'meat'.

And good for you.

Well obviously you think your opinion is "how it is", it's your opinion, it doesn't stop it being biased.

Well if you want to be that literal, athletic people are still covered in fat. And when people talk about liking curvy girls they are usually talking about naturally large tits and arse, not just fat girls who have those parts fat too. Breasts are actually a gland, and the arse is a muscle. Or you could accept non literal speech.

I assume people say meat instead of fat because of basic manners...
I'm skinny and I like being skinny. I have to say, I can't stand the thought of receiving leering comments about my figure. I've had guys literally point and gape at my friends boobs on a night out and it creeps me out.
I just don't do the whole really sexy thing, I would feel uncomfortable if guys just stared at my figure.

And I still get attention yeah, but when I get it it tends to be about my look as a whole not just my ass or whatever. I rather that, I like being slim, I feel elegant with it.

And if some guys don't like me because I'm not very curvy then I honestly don't care. Because I am skinny, that's the way I am and if he doesn't like me for it then it's not much of a loss.
Well obviously you think your opinion is "how it is", it's your opinion, it doesn't stop it being biased.

Well if you want to be that literal, athletic people are still covered in fat. And when people talk about liking curvy girls they are usually talking about naturally large tits and arse, not just fat girls who have those parts fat too. Breasts are actually a gland, and the arse is a muscle. Or you could accept non literal speech.

I assume people say meat instead of fat because of basic manners...

Umm actually, differences in breast size is due to differences in fatty tissue...

And you need to distinguish between 'fat' as in the noun, the macronutrient, and 'fat' as an adjective. Fat in the context of 'I am fat' is not the same semantically as 'the % of fat in an individual is...'

Although they are related, they aren't the same. Noun vs adjective.
Well clothing in the high street shops are made to suit flat-chested women better (despite the average boob size in the UK being a 34D) meaning I have to buy larger sizes in clothing which doesn't always look flattering.
However I do believe the media is changing things and I know a few of my friends want a bum (one does squats often and various other exercises to keep her bum) and another of my friends is 6 foot and skinny - she eats so much chocolate and never gains a pound - but she hates it because her height means that she has to buy larger sized clothes which don't fit her properly because of how skinny she is.

Personally I find different shapes work better on different people, some look amazing being skinny or some look amazing being curvy. Honestly as long as you healthy you shouldn't get to hung up on how your body should be shaped in order to look sexy and just let it be the shape it naturally is!
Original post by Sophie0:)
Well clothing in the high street shops are made to suit flat-chested women better (despite the average boob size in the UK being a 34D) meaning I have to buy larger sizes in clothing which doesn't always look flattering.
However I do believe the media is changing things and I know a few of my friends want a bum (one does squats often and various other exercises to keep her bum) and another of my friends is 6 foot and skinny - she eats so much chocolate and never gains a pound - but she hates it because her height means that she has to buy larger sized clothes which don't fit her properly because of how skinny she is.

Personally I find different shapes work better on different people, some look amazing being skinny or some look amazing being curvy. Honestly as long as you healthy you shouldn't get to hung up on how your body should be shaped in order to look sexy and just let it be the shape it naturally is!

Primark are the worst for selling such odd shaped clothes. I have a playsuit in my size which I can't actually get on because it won't go over my bum, despite fitting loose everywhere else.. And it's not as if my bum is massive. Plus sometimes their dresses flatten my boobs down and I've only got bee stings to begin with! Not to mention their high waisted jeans having no room for hips and thighs and having to get a size larger and take in the waist. Shops like that would have been a blessing when I was a 15 year old beanpole... Not so much now!
Probably because girls are sexually attractive to guys, but not to other girls?

What each gender finds attractive is obviously going to be different.
Original post by TolerantBeing
Umm actually, differences in breast size is due to differences in fatty tissue...

And you need to distinguish between 'fat' as in the noun, the macronutrient, and 'fat' as an adjective. Fat in the context of 'I am fat' is not the same semantically as 'the % of fat in an individual is...'

Although they are related, they aren't the same. Noun vs adjective.

Or you could just accept it is totally acceptable to speak non literally in the English language!
Or you could just accept it is totally acceptable to speak non literally in the English language!

Oh yes I do completely agree with that. :tongue:
Original post by heyheyeh
skinny feels nicer and more petite, but i think curvy feels sexier. i rather be curvy

Every body type is beautiful

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending