The Student Room Group

23 and never had a boyfriend.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Ye well, I'm 22 and never had a girlfriend. Life goes on.

Yeah life goes on, obviously, but I feel sad about it.
Original post by djpailo
Have you put yourself in enough social environments to at least meet people you might be attracted to?
Have you asked anyone out? This is a common one for some girls - they expect guys to do everything (in terms of asking people out). Guys aren't mind readers and body language can be difficult to read, so don't be shy in asking people out for coffee etc to test the waters.

I do not know any men to ask out. I know I will be rejected anyway. Guys want a perfect girl who wears make-up and dresses up and I do none of those things.
Original post by Anonymous
Yeah life goes on, obviously, but I feel sad about it.

Join the club.
Reply 23
I do not know any men to ask out. I know I will be rejected anyway. Guys want a perfect girl who wears make-up and dresses up and I do none of those things.

Well there we've immediately identified part of your problems.

You lack self-confidence which is crucial for any line of work, not just meeting people. You need to start feeling attractive. in many cases, girls put on too much makeup on. There are plenty of girls out there who don't need much, if any, make up on and still look attractive.

You've got to start asking people out. You've accepted defeat without even trying first. All your experiencing our doubts, when in reality, a guy would either say yes, no, maybe or whatever.

Perfect how?
Yes and no I haven't considered internet dating. I have heard some bad stories and I just don't like the concept.

Oh well. If you go to uni have you joined any societies or do you go to any social events, try that hopefully you'll find the right one. Don't need to worry honestly. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Join the club.
But why don't you ask a girl out? I just don't understand how guys can also be in this position. I can't explain myself properly online but it's the norm for a guy to ask a girl out, so why don't you? I know plenty of girls also 'approach' guys but they hardly ask a guy out clearly and explicitly. They flirt and make eye contact and smile. Generally the girls who do this are the ones into makeup, being girly, dressing up, etc. I am just not one of those girls. I am shy, awkward, weird, different. It just doesn't go with my personality. I want a guy to just ask me out. I don't care how he looks as I don't care about looks in a guy.
I don't think you'd be interested if you actually met me. People tell me I am weird. Why haven't you had a girlfriend though? I mean, guys may not like what I'm going to say but I really think it's easier for guys. Guys think any girl can get a bf and it is just not true. I am proof of that.

look don't listen to anyone i am sure u r a pretty girl and deserve a great guy.

my case is totally different, contact me i will tell u if you are interested :wink:
Original post by djpailo
Well there we've immediately identified part of your problems.

You lack self-confidence which is crucial for any line of work, not just meeting people. You need to start feeling attractive. in many cases, girls put on too much makeup on. There are plenty of girls out there who don't need much, if any, make up on and still look attractive.

You've got to start asking people out. You've accepted defeat without even trying first. All your experiencing our doubts, when in reality, a guy would either say yes, no, maybe or whatever.

Lol if I asked a guy out my mum would think I was mental. She already thinks it's weird that I've never had a boyfriend and she thinks it's weird for a female to approach a male. She is old fashioned. Everyone in my family is. They just wouldn't understand. They'd think I was desperate and that the guy was doing me a favour. I come from a close family too so I couldn't keep it a secret either. It would embarrass me. Also, one of my friends was in my position. She finally asked out a friend she liked but it turns out he only agreed to go out with her because he didn't have a girlfriend and wanted one, not because he actually liked her. I know many guys do this until they can find someone better. I will not let myself go through that. Women hardly go out with men just for the fun of it.
Perfect how?

Well, I live in London so I'm talking about the ones who walk around in high heels all day, their make-up looks perfect because they carry around their make-up products in their handbag to re-apply throughout the day, their hair looks perfect, they're into fashion and shopping, and you notice other men staring at them in the tube.
the only logical reason I can think you'd post that statement on tsr anomalously, is that you're feeling insecure and want reassurance from online strangers that you're not ugly and will eventually find the right person
Original post by theconsciousindian
the only logical reason I can think you'd post that statement on tsr anomalously, is that you're feeling insecure and want reassurance from online strangers that you're not ugly and will eventually find the right person

Oh really? So does that mean if I wasn't anonymous it would change your opinion? I am still technically anonymous as no one here knows how I look. So what exactly is your point? Notice that nowhere in my post did I mention my looks. I don't care if people think I am ugly. Maybe I am since people say if you are an attractive female you will get asked out. I do not, so I probably am not attractive. I don't need to be told that I am just to make me feel better. It won't change the fact that I am single and that's what upsets me. Not my looks. Fyi, I am average looking imo.
But why don't you ask a girl out? I just don't understand how guys can also be in this position. I can't explain myself properly online but it's the norm for a guy to ask a girl out, so why don't you? I know plenty of girls also 'approach' guys but they hardly ask a guy out clearly and explicitly. They flirt and make eye contact and smile. Generally the girls who do this are the ones into makeup, being girly, dressing up, etc. I am just not one of those girls. I am shy, awkward, weird, different. It just doesn't go with my personality. I want a guy to just ask me out. I don't care how he looks as I don't care about looks in a guy.

I have asked women out. I've been rejected in one way or another every time.

I think you are putting to much in supposed gender norms. If there is a guy you like just go ask him. Also a recent interest for me was a quite and shy girl I met volunteering during the summer. Being shy or awkward doesn't mean no one will like you. If anything it is worse to be like that as a guy, I've had shy girls tell me they are looking for someone who is confident. As a shy and awkward guy I feel useless.
Reply 33
Lol if I asked a guy out my mum would think I was mental. She already thinks it's weird that I've never had a boyfriend and she thinks it's weird for a female to approach a male. She is old fashioned. Everyone in my family is. They just wouldn't understand. They'd think I was desperate and that the guy was doing me a favour. I come from a close family too so I couldn't keep it a secret either. It would embarrass me. Also, one of my friends was in my position. She finally asked out a friend she liked but it turns out he only agreed to go out with her because he didn't have a girlfriend and wanted one, not because he actually liked her. I know many guys do this until they can find someone better. I will not let myself go through that. Women hardly go out with men just for the fun of it.

You can't let one experience predetermine the outcome of all potential future dates. Secondly, if religion is not involved, it's not up to your parents to be involved in who asks who out. Be firm and confident with your parents and don't let them dictate how you deal with situations.

I feel you are too bounded by your beliefs and your not willing to put any effort in. I'm sorry it sounds harsh but that's the feeling I get albeit unintentionally.
Well, I live in London so I'm talking about the ones who walk around in high heels all day, their make-up looks perfect because they carry around their make-up products in their handbag to re-apply throughout the day, their hair looks perfect, they're into fashion and shopping, and you notice other men staring at them in the tube.

Perfect doesn't exist. There a many factors that come into play.

Personally providing they are of a certain threshold or above in physical attractiveness I am more concerned with how they are with me, what there interests are, how compatible are personalities are etc.

The girls you are describing I probably have an inbuilt prejudice against. I do not look for a women who spends all day readjusted her makeup (not that there is anything wrong with that) I would much rather be with someone who just wears some cheap eye liner and will do things like rock climbing or mountain biking where wearing heavy makeup is impractical.
I have asked women out. I've been rejected in one way or another every time.

I think you are putting to much in supposed gender norms. If there is a guy you like just go ask him. Also a recent interest for me was a quite and shy girl I met volunteering during the summer. Being shy or awkward doesn't mean no one will like you. If anything it is worse to be like that as a guy, I've had shy girls tell me they are looking for someone who is confident. As a shy and awkward guy I feel useless.

Yeah I can understand that. That's sad, sorry. I don't think I'm putting to much in supposed gender norms by just wanting a guy to ask me out first which is pretty normal for a girl to want.
Perfect doesn't exist. There a many factors that come into play.

Personally providing they are of a certain threshold or above in physical attractiveness I am more concerned with how they are with me, what there interests are, how compatible are personalities are etc.

The girls you are describing I probably have an inbuilt prejudice against. I do not look for a women who spends all day readjusted her makeup (not that there is anything wrong with that) I would much rather be with someone who just wears some cheap eye liner and will do things like rock climbing or mountain biking where wearing heavy makeup is impractical.
Maybe you don't, which is nice, but many other men want a woman like this. Though they also say they like natural women. I guess they don't know what they want lol. I don't really think I need the make-up as I have nice skin but I look messy lol. My hair is always a mess and I don't really care to do anything about it. I like the way I am and don't want to change myself but it's getting to a point where I feel I need to be like those women to fit in and get a date. That's why I am so confused about what to do. Can I really find a guy just being myself? It hasn't work until now. This is the question I ask myself all the time. People say be yourself, but when you come online posting questions like I did, people tell you to go to a hairdresser, wear some make-up, get a new style, etc. LOL.
Yeah I can understand that. That's sad, sorry. I don't think I'm putting to much in supposed gender norms by just wanting a guy to ask me out first which is pretty normal for a girl to want.

But you just said you are crap at flirting and all that jazz.

Guys normally don't ask out someone who appears to have no interest in them. Unless you can learn to flirt etc and have way to subtle show you like someone actually asking them may be the best option you have.

Also the potential to find someone who you may spend the rest fo your life with is more important than some petty desire to be asked out :rolleyes:
Original post by djpailo
You can't let one experience predetermine the outcome of all potential future dates. Secondly, if religion is not involved, it's not up to your parents to be involved in who asks who out. Be firm and confident with your parents and don't let them dictate how you deal with situations.

I feel you are too bounded by your beliefs and your not willing to put any effort in. I'm sorry it sounds harsh but that's the feeling I get albeit unintentionally.

Yeah, that is true, but it is hard not to have that fear. I think females fear this always because guys tend to be a lot more relaxed with who they go out with. I may not get rejected, but how will I know he is actually interested in ME. Not just the concept of having a girlfriend? Even if I found out after a few weeks, just knowing I spent time with someone who didn't even like me for a few weeks and wasted my time would make me feel bad especially since I already know that it can happen. My family is not religious but they are old-fashioned. My mom and all her sisters. They would never stop talking about it if they found out asked out a guy. If I did get a boyfriend this way, they probably wouldn't even consider him a real boyfriend for me. I think guys are kind of weird anyway. I have noticed some flirting with my friends and then acting cold the next day.
Maybe you don't, which is nice, but many other men want a woman like this. Though they also say they like natural women. I guess they don't know what they want lol. I don't really think I need the make-up as I have nice skin but I look messy lol. My hair is always a mess and I don't really care to do anything about it. I like the way I am and don't want to change myself but it's getting to a point where I feel I need to be like those women to fit in and get a date. That's why I am so confused about what to do. Can I really find a guy just being myself? It hasn't work until now. This is the question I ask myself all the time. People say be yourself, but when you come online posting questions like I did, people tell you to go to a hairdresser, wear some make-up, get a new style, etc. LOL.

I dunno. I'm not the best person to ask anyway.

At the end of the day the whole getting a partner thing is about trying to find the most suited mate to spread your genes with. You got to make some kind of effort.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending