The Student Room Group

Can I get into Oxford with these predicted grades?

I want to study Geography at Oxford (Keble) and I'm predicted AAA in Geography, English and Drama. I achieved AAB at AS and the B was in English Literature. The entry requirements are A*AA, do I have a chance of getting an offer or even an interview if my predicted grades are below the requirements?
When I asked Wadham about extenuating circumstances this is what in my reply " If you are predicted anything less than the minimum A-Level requirement for Oriental Studies (AAA), you would be at a disadvantage in a strong field of applicants."

Fortunately I am predicted AAA, I know it is a different course but Geography is more competitive (I think)

Have you applied? The Oxbridge deadline was at 6pm today.
I doubt you will get invited to interview with an AAA prediction, if an A* is needed :frown:
Original post by drewsalexia
I want to study Geography at Oxford (Keble) and I'm predicted AAA in Geography, English and Drama. I achieved AAB at AS and the B was in English Literature. The entry requirements are A*AA, do I have a chance of getting an offer or even an interview if my predicted grades are below the requirements?

If the prediction was AAA for a course that requires A*AA, then probably not. You could've asked them to move up a prediction, no?
Reply 4
Original post by JamesJones777
When I asked Wadham about extenuating circumstances this is what in my reply " If you are predicted anything less than the minimum A-Level requirement for Oriental Studies (AAA), you would be at a disadvantage in a strong field of applicants."

Fortunately I am predicted AAA, I know it is a different course but Geography is more competitive (I think)

Have you applied? The Oxbridge deadline was at 6pm today.

I'm suddenly beginning to think that I haven't got much of a chance. And yes my application was sent off on Monday!
Reply 5
Original post by TheTechN1304
If the prediction was AAA for a course that requires A*AA, then probably not. You could've asked them to move up a prediction, no?

I tried but they wouldn't, even though my UMS is nearly 100% in one of my subjects
Reply 6
I'm suddenly beginning to think that I haven't got much of a chance. And yes my application was sent off on Monday!

I wouldn't worry then and just focusing on any interview prep. If you don't make the cut, then you'll still have learned a lot and refined your interview technique, which will come in useful regardless of what you do in the future.

Best of luck!
Reply 7
Original post by Ja-m-ie
I wouldn't worry then and just focusing on any interview prep. If you don't make the cut, then you'll still have learned a lot and refined your interview technique, which will come in useful regardless of what you do in the future.

Best of luck!

Thank you!
I tried but they wouldn't, even though my UMS is nearly 100% in one of my subjects

Have you mentioned this in your PS? I imagine they take predicted grades with a pinch of salt (though unfortunately this means they will also see your B). Schools are really unfair in this area, and plenty will up predictions unrealistically.

Are there any entrance tests for Geography, or work to be submitted? If so, this is what they will base your interview invite on. Also, what kind of school do you go to?

From speaking to admissions tutors, the interview, PS and entrance tests are the major deciding factor, so long as you meet the minimum grades. I'd say that if you get to interview you have a chance of convincing them, but you have to really be an outstanding candidate. Make sure you've read a lot and researched interview style questions. Make them remember you (for the right reasons).

You have a chance, but just remember there is a huge pool of very good candidates, so if it doesn't work out this time that's just the nature of the competition. Good luck. :smile:
Hi,

I have applied to Oxford for Biochemistry. I got 4A's at AS and am predicted A*A*A in Maths, Biology and Chemistry. The typical offer is A*AA. Does being above the typical offer make it highly likely to get an interview?
Original post by lilypadrobber
Hi,

I have applied to Oxford for Biochemistry. I got 4A's at AS and am predicted A*A*A in Maths, Biology and Chemistry. The typical offer is A*AA. Does being above the typical offer make it highly likely to get an interview?

no, because the vast majority of applicants will have the same grades as you, if not higher. So you might actually be disadvantaged. Besides, A level predictions are only one of the things oxford look at
Original post by hukdealz
no, because the vast majority of applicants will have the same grades as you, if not higher. So you might actually be disadvantaged. Besides, A level predictions are only one of the things oxford look at

Would you say it would be harsh not to get an interview?
Original post by lilypadrobber
Would you say it would be harsh not to get an interview?

not at all, [as we all know] oxford is an competitive place. I'd say 3 out of 5 applicants will have your predicted grades or higher- Oxford can't interview all of these

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending