The Student Room Group

Can I apply to Oxford, LSE etc..

Can apply to Oxford, LSE, Durham etc.. for LAW with predicted AAB orA*AB (not contextual). I didn't really study much and my teacher won't move up my B. They are telling me to apply to random unis that accept ABB or AAB but I don't want to. What do I do? I'm not sure how I feel about a gap year
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by politiczzgirl
Can apply to Oxford, LSE, Durham etc.. with predicted AAB orA*AB (not contextual). I didn't really study much and my teacher won't move up my B. They are telling me to apply to random unis that accept ABB or AAB but I don't want to. What do I do? I'm not sure how I feel about a gap year

You can but there would be competition. I wont advise you to apply to all top unis like Oxford, LSE and Durham. Maybe aim for Oxford and Durham and use the other 3 choices for reasonable options. It would also depend on the course.

I would suggest the following uni selection approach:

Oxford
Durham
Surrey
Southampton
Newcastle

Good luck
My first question would be if you don’t study much, have you considered whether Oxford, LSE, Durham etc. would be a good fit?

You shouldn’t be applying for random unis, but they should be broadly in line with your predictions, (with one or two aspirational choices).
Reply 3
Original post by Admit-One
My first question would be if you don’t study much, have you considered whether Oxford, LSE, Durham etc. would be a good fit?

You shouldn’t be applying for random unis, but they should be broadly in line with your predictions, (with one or two aspirational choices).

I usually study a lot and I enjoy studying.. I just had some difficulties during summer so I did not have much time to revise :frown: Because I based all the stuff I did during year 12 so i could apply to oxford, but one of my teachers just won't move it up
I usually study a lot and I enjoy studying.. I just had some difficulties during summer so I did not have much time to revise :frown: Because I based all the stuff I did during year 12 so i could apply to oxford, but one of my teachers just won't move it up

Your teachers can only base predictions on what you’ve demonstrated to them. Are they aware of the circumstances that affected you?

I’d discuss your hopes with them and ask what you can do to improve your predictions. If they won’t change before you submit your app, then you either need to submit a risky choice or two, or smash your results and apply with achieved grades next year.
Reply 5
Original post by Admit-One
Your teachers can only base predictions on what you’ve demonstrated to them. Are they aware of the circumstances that affected you?

I’d discuss your hopes with them and ask what you can do to improve your predictions. If they won’t change before you submit your app, then you either need to submit a risky choice or two, or smash your results and apply with achieved grades next year.

I told them, but they don't care. No hope in changing my grade tbh, so now I do not know what to do since I don't want to apply to 'realistic' unis since I know I can achieve more than that so it is not fair
Reply 6
Original post by Wired_1800
You can but there would be competition. I wont advise you to apply to all top unis like Oxford, LSE and Durham. Maybe aim for Oxford and Durham and use the other 3 choices for reasonable options. It would also depend on the course.

I would suggest the following uni selection approach:

Oxford
Durham
Surrey
Southampton
Newcastle

Good luck

do you think it would be less likely that I would be accepted.. for example if my LNAT was good and my PS was good, but my grades are AAB/A*AB would that bring me down?
do you think it would be less likely that I would be accepted.. for example if my LNAT was good and my PS was good, but my grades are AAB/A*AB would that bring me down?

One of the benefits of law applications is that universities have the LNAT results alongside predicted and achieved grades to make decisions.

If you think you can exceed your predictions and that you'll do well in the LNAT then apply to aspirational choices. If you don't get offers in the spring then you can make contingency plans for what to do next year based on what grades you get in the summer (either to go to a university with lower requirements if you don't do as well as hoped or to take a gap year and reapply if you do exceed your predictions).

Don't just put any old universities on your application. If you're not sure where to apply then just apply early to 2 or 3 of your top choices and add the rest in January when you've had more time to research.
Original post by PQ
One of the benefits of law applications is that universities have the LNAT results alongside predicted and achieved grades to make decisions.

If you think you can exceed your predictions and that you'll do well in the LNAT then apply to aspirational choices. If you don't get offers in the spring then you can make contingency plans for what to do next year based on what grades you get in the summer (either to go to a university with lower requirements if you don't do as well as hoped or to take a gap year and reapply if you do exceed your predictions).

Don't just put any old universities on your application. If you're not sure where to apply then just apply early to 2 or 3 of your top choices and add the rest in January when you've had more time to research.

This, do all of this :smile:

Applications are reviewed holistically, so it is possible that you could be accepted if the other parts of your application are strong. However, you would need them to be super strong.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending