The Student Room Group

Bench press - paused or TnG

So I'm planning to enter a PL comp in the next few months and I currently bench touch n go. Should I carry on as I am and just do a bit of pausing nearer the time or actually switch to pausing all my bench presses now? Will it make much of a difference? My bench is piss weak anyway.

Cheers

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would start trying out pause benching now because there is (in my opinion) a big difference.

count while you pause to ensure that you are pausing for long enough
You must practice your sport if you want to succeed in your sport so you must practice paused benching. You also have to bear in mind that you will bench after squatting.
Makes a big difference. See if you can get someone to do the calls for you as well.

It's a skill, it takes practise and you risk coming unstuck on the day if you're not used to it.
Seems fairly conclusive, I guess I will start pausing as of tomorrow! Cheers gents.

On a side note, would you say pausing presses as well would have better carryover or is it not worth bothering?
Original post by Implication
Seems fairly conclusive, I guess I will start pausing as of tomorrow! Cheers gents.

On a side note, would you say pausing presses as well would have better carryover or is it not worth bothering?

Presses are an accessory movement, for strength. Do them however you feel strongest IMO, the specifics of technique won't have a huge carryover.

The bench is the lift you're going to be judged on. They feel very different when you pause them, you need to get used to that.

Definitely pause your benches.

Press doesn't matter as it's only an accessory so you can do it how you like.

Posted from TSR Mobile
This is like asking: vaginal or anal sex?

Why not both?
Original post by Michael XYZ
This is like asking: vaginal or anal sex?

Why not both?

What's the advantage of doing both (tng and paused) though haha?
What's the advantage of doing both (tng and paused) though haha?

It is not good to be too specific. Specificity in the sport is required, but you can benefit from close variations too.
Original post by Michael XYZ
It is not good to be too specific. Specificity in the sport is required, but you can benefit from close variations too.

Right, but variation for it's own sake? For example, I already do four pressing variations - bench, press, db press and cgbp. If I want to add in more I'd better have an explicit reason for doing so!
(edited 9 years ago)
Variations are fine so long as they are picked properly and the competition lifts are where most of the effort is concentrated. How much specificity you need is dependent upon where you are in your training cycle. Remember that the number of reps you do will also have large impact on specificity. The competition bench press should be given the highest priority. If you want to judge the carryover an exercise you have to look at how closely it mimics the movement pattern of whatever it is you want to get better at and take a look at where toughest part of the movement is.
Ultimately, science or not, it's just trial and error. Try a few things and see what you enjoy/make most progress.

Many, many strong powerlifters do touch and go as well as pause. Probably something to it.

Quick Reply

Latest