The Student Room Group

9K University fees which degrees are worth it?!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Okorange
If you look at your own link only one degree Creative Arts and Design for Males makes you worse off. All the others still have net positives.

I agree perhaps that if you are studying an arts degree at an ex-poly you are probably better off doing something else though... Its just a fact that the world doesn't need as many arts grads as they need stem grads, the top arts grads will always have a job but the ones at the bottom, might as well just do something employable.

Graduates have to earn £80,000 more in their lifetimes compared to none graduates to make degrees financially worthwhile. Very few none STEM graduates will do that from the data in the link.
Original post by Maker
Graduates have to earn £80,000 more in their lifetimes compared to none graduates to make degrees financially worthwhile. Very few none STEM graduates will do that from the data in the link.

Wait but i'm pretty sure the graph would've included the cost of tuition, living and lost earnings...
Reply 22
STEM
Economics
Languages
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Some Tories have been talking about it :erm:

I'm just seeing what it's like on the winning side for once.

I am hugging you Gerald
Original post by Pomum96
I am hugging you Gerald

Who the hell is Gerald?
Who the hell is Gerald?

I dont ****ing know, can't you just play along and hug me?
Reply 26
Nick Clegg needs to be put down :colonhash:
Original post by Gax
Nick Clegg needs to be put down :colonhash:

He has a nice last name
Original post by Pomum96
I dont ****ing know, can't you just play along and hug me?

Can I get a kiss? :tongue:
Can I get a kiss? :tongue:

You may have one on your chin.
Reply 31
Wait but i'm pretty sure the graph would've included the cost of tuition, living and lost earnings...

No
Original post by Maker
No

Where does it say that? Show me, because It's natural to assume they would include that.
mixed answers so far!
Where does it say that? Show me, because It's natural to assume they would include that.

He isn't right. The underlying data comes from here.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/higher-education-qualifications-returns-and-benefits

Read page 55 and the definition of net graduate premium on page 9.

I should add that this is "old fees" data

There is one thing that none of these statistics control for which is willingness/ability to perform manual labour. The low graduate premium for men in many fields is due to the number of relatively high paying non-graduate jobs for men and their scarcity for women. Many of those jobs involve heavy physical work, risk or unsocial hours. The lad who becomes a bricklayer or plumber isn't likely to be the same lad agonising over whether to do the degree in history, but nothing in the statistics exposes that.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 35

Why would you assume that? Where does it say anything about tuition and other costs already been taken into account?
Original post by lozasaurus99
I've met so many unemployed graduates where I work part time at Amazon! ! It's sad to see ..

Posted from TSR Mobile

From which unis/courses out of interest? :smile:
Original post by Maker
Why would you assume that? Where does it say anything about tuition and other costs already been taken into account?

Nulli Tertius already proved you wrong. If the website said we calculated extra lifetime earnings most people can assume that they actually did what they said. Subtracting an extra 80,000 from their calculations doesn't make any sense.
Reply 38
Nulli Tertius already proved you wrong. If the website said we calculated extra lifetime earnings most people can assume that they actually did what they said. Subtracting an extra 80,000 from their calculations doesn't make any sense.

I hope you are not thinking of working in finance.
Original post by Maker
I hope you are not thinking of working in finance.

I hope you wouldn't get so butthurt that you can't prove your own point.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending