The Student Room Group

Should I apply to just one uni?

I was going to apply for Hull Uni and York St John, but really I only want to go to Hull and wouldn't wanna go to uni at all if I didn't get in there.

Should I apply for both just in case or apply to just Hull? :confused::confused:
Original post by fieldy_xo
I was going to apply for Hull Uni and York St John, but really I only want to go to Hull and wouldn't wanna go to uni at all if I didn't get in there.

Should I apply for both just in case or apply to just Hull? :confused::confused:

Well, you've clearly answered your own question there. You can always add more later if you change your mind, but if that's how you feel, why waste everyone's time?
Reply 2
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Well, you've clearly answered your own question there. You can always add more later if you change your mind, but if that's how you feel, why waste everyone's time?

I thought that in order to add more later, you had to apply to two Institutes initially?

Could be wrong here, but just wanted to flag up in case.
Reply 3
It is possible to add a second (and more) choice, but you have to pay an extra processing fee. Whereas if you pay the higher fee to start with by applying to two or more institutions, the extra choices are free.
Original post by vimto39
I thought that in order to add more later, you had to apply to two Institutes initially?

Could be wrong here, but just wanted to flag up in case.

No, you can add more later, but will have to pay the increased fee if only one choice was on the initial application.
Original post by nerdcake
It is possible to add a second (and more) choice, but you have to pay an extra processing fee. Whereas if you pay the higher fee to start with by applying to two or more institutions, the extra choices are free.

Completely untrue.

You just call UCAS and pay the remaining amount (£11 or £12, I'm not sure).
Reply 6
I only applied for one for the same reasons you are. I'm now studying at that university. My only advice is if you do go down the one uni path, make sure you can get the grades unless you want to go through clearing. The purpose of an insurance choice is to have a fall back option but you won't have that.
(edited 9 years ago)
If you apply for one course in the first instance, you pay a fee of £12. If you put in applications for 2, 3, 4, or 5 courses, you pay £23. If you change your mind after applying to only one course, you can pay the remaining £11 and add them later. If you applied for 2 courses to start with, you will have paid £23 and the remaining choices can be added later at no additional charge because you have paid for up to 5 already.

Let's get this clear:

1. Pay your application fee. £12 for one course, or £23 for multiple courses and applications sent after 30 June. Your school, college or centre will let you know either to pay them so they can pay us, or for you to pay direct online by credit/debit card.

Reply 8
Original post by Mindless Behavior
Completely untrue.

That's... What I said?
To add extra choices you have to pay an extra fee unless you paid the higher one already.
Original post by nerdcake
That's... What I said?
To add extra choices you have to pay an extra fee unless you paid the higher one already.

Your wording didn't make it clear that you only have to pay the difference. I got the impression that you were saying it's more expensive to add other choices later, my bad!
Reply 10
Completely untrue.

Your wording didn't make it clear that you only have to pay the difference. I got the impression that you were saying it's more expensive to add other choices later, my bad!

It was perfectly clear...
Original post by alow
It was perfectly clear...

Not to me...
Not to me...

"Pay the remaining amount" - completely clear to me
Original post by Olympiad
"Pay the remaining amount" - completely clear to me

He didn't say that though. He said 'pay an extra processing fee' which is probably why I got confused. I have read his post again and I can see what he meant now.

Edit: Both of the post's alow quoted were by me.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending