The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by snikutsmullac
someone who got 100% at AS got a B prediction for A2 at my college...

I seriously doubt this is true. And surely the OP would've stated this much earlier on.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Chlorophile
That's absolutely ridiculous. Your predicted grades aren't "What this student could get if a miracle happened", it's "What this student probably will get". The fact that some students make incredible progress doesn't change the fact that most don't. Predicting someone an A when they got a B at AS would raise eyebrows, any lower is absurd unless there genuinely are serious extenuating circumstances.

I'm not sure I agree that predicting someone an A when they got a B would raise eyebrows - it's pretty standard practice to predict people a grade higher at A2 - but you definitely shouldn't be predicted an A if you get anything lower than a mid B.
Original post by paradoxicalme
I'm not sure I agree that predicting someone an A when they got a B would raise eyebrows - it's pretty standard practice to predict people a grade higher at A2 - but you definitely shouldn't be predicted an A if you get anything lower than a mid B.

The fact that it's standard doesn't mean it's right, given that most people aren't going to go up a grade at A2!
Original post by DJC1996
I seriously doubt this is true. And surely the OP would've stated this much earlier on.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I mentioned it on one of the first pages... and it is true.

The fact that it's standard doesn't mean it's right, given that most people aren't going to go up a grade at A2!

I don't think it would have hurt because a lot of universities let you in even if you miss your predictions by a few UMS; you don't necessarily have to get the grade, just the prediction...
[If not getting an A at AS] doesn't justify predicting me an A [at A2] I don't know what will.

How about, er, I don't know, getting an A at AS?
Original post by UpInTheMorning

We've moved on.
We've moved on.

Have we though?

As far as I can see, you're still of the incredibly arrogant opinion that your B entitles you to an A prediction.

Spoiler

I do see your point, however:

-Some people do go up a grade at A2 (retakes, they're more used to sixth form, they get their ass in gear) and it would be a travesty if those capable people didn't get into their chosen unis
-If the predicted grade isn't representative, then they won't make the offer, simple as
-A lot of unis will let you in with a grade lower
Have we though?

As far as I can see, you're still of the incredibly arrogant opinion that your B entitles you to an A prediction.

Spoiler

Have you anything constructive to say, or are you just here to tear a strip out of me for wanting an A prediction? Plenty of people with B grades, or C and D grades for that matter, get A predictions. It's not unreasonable. If I'm not getting one, fine, I'll work my arse off this year (as I already am) to get the A then will rub it in everyones face when I do. As I have already said I have accepted the B prediction and have moved on, as frustrating as it is for me. Don't come on this thread just to give me a hard time. I've done nothing wrong.
Have you anything constructive to say, or are you just here to tear a strip out of me for wanting an A prediction? Plenty of people with B grades, or C and D grades for that matter, get A predictions. It's not unreasonable. If I'm not getting one, fine, I'll work my arse off this year (as I already am) to get the A then will rub it in everyones face when I do. As I have already said I have accepted the B prediction and have moved on, as frustrating as it is for me. Don't come on this thread just to give me a hard time. I've done nothing wrong.

No, I'm not here to tear a strip out of you, and I'm not here to give you a hard time.

It's not unreasonable.

I'm here to say it is unreasonable to expect an A prediction. Regardless of what other people are getting, unfortunately your past grades do not justify an a prediction. Your teacher would be wrong to give it to you, regardless of your intention to work a lot harder this year, because of course everyone who wants a higher predicted grade will claim to have the same intentions.

I'm not sure where this quote comes from, but I think it is worth taking to heart: "We judge ourselves by our intentions and others by their behaviour."

It's good that you've moved on. Although I find it really annoying when you use the fact that other people have been predicted A's from C and D grades at AS as justification for it being reasonable. It is absolutely unreasonable for them to have been predicted A's.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by paradoxicalme

In which case it would be equally standard practice for the universities to deduct a grade from what one is predicted to get the grade one is most likely to achieve.

If I were an admissions tutor and saw that somebody was predicted higher than one might expect I'd look at the record of the school/college and see what their history of over/under predicting was.
Original post by Folion
Grats to you for getting your act together but why did you get low grades in the first place? Lack of ability, mitigating circumstances or lack of motivation?

I think you are what is termed a statistical outlier, the exception that proves the rule etc. ie you are not representative of the norm and the norm is what predictions are based on.

Erm, i guess it was due to one module which i hated and never understood i.e. statistics. But, it wasn't just that. I had i think about 11 exams and I put priority over other subjects more like chemistry which i was struggling a lot. I also didn't study as hard as i studied last year. I wasn't motivated to study either as i felt like i was going to fail anyway.

But why is predictions based on the norm? Surely as a teacher you would know your student's abilities, strengths and weaknesses?

I don't think i would've got into uni if my teacher didn't predict me an A in maths. And the fact that i got the A is like a miracle itself as i feel i don't deserve it.

At As i had BDDU
i was predicted AAA
and at A Levels i had AAAA

Whatever the predictions, i think a teacher should understand a student's situation a bit more. Even though i had crap grades at AS i had to prove myself worthy to get A grade predictions by tests and homework. I don't think AS grades show a persons true ability on a subject tbh.

Sorry about my rambling.

If the unis did check my grades, surely they would be 'eyebrow raising' at my grades right? But they didn't as i got straight offers from all 4 of my unis and i got the chance to reject 1.
(edited 9 years ago)
You are an idiot. There is a reason you are predicted what you are predicted. What's the point in a teacher prediction if you can change it. If your teacher changed it, it's not fair on those of us who trust the teacher judgement.

Man up!

Original post by aqahmed
You are an idiot. There is a reason you are predicted what you are predicted. What's the point in a teacher prediction if you can change it. If your teacher changed it, it's not fair on those of us who trust the teacher judgement.

Man up!

Just opened my results slip to find out I got an A* in A-Level Law, with 95 and 100 percent in module 3 and module 4 respectively.

**** you all. I told you I knew I'd improve.
Just opened my results slip to find out I got an A* in A-Level Law, with 95 and 100 percent in module 3 and module 4 respectively.

With respect mate I never told you you couldn't get an A or better at A2, I just told you that it generally wouldn't make sense to predict you an A based on getting less than that at AS.

Congrats to you for being determined and improving but clearly from a teacher's point of view every fool will claim to do that in September; some will, many won't.

Oh yeah and don't tell me to **** myself, if you do it again I'll report you.

Pics lad?
Reply 137

That's cool getting an A* at an unconventional yet non-recommended A-level subject :smile: You should be very proud of your grades my friend
Original post by Aso816
That's cool getting an A* at an unconventional yet non-recommended A-level subject :smile: You should be very proud of your grades my friend

Gr8 b8 m8
Can someone close this thread? Firstly because it’s very old. Secondly because the OP probably didn’t get the grade hence no pics. It’s funny how many people think lying on the internet is ok. If he’d really got the A then he’d have got an adjustment and been telling everyone about the amazing uni he was now going to etc. And he’d have put the pic up.

Latest

Trending

Trending