The Student Room Group

Should I give up applying to Oxford?

I’m in Year 13 and really want to go to Oxford especially after going on the UNIQ summer school, but my college’s career advisors are really strongly advising me not to. I’m predicted AAB and want to do Law where I would need AAA, and trying to convince my teacher to predict me an A is taking a while and I’m not sure if they will.
I went to a state secondary school and achieved 887777666 at GCSE, and I’m also from a POLAR4 Quintile 1 postcode. I do think by the end I could achieve at least AAA or even A*AA, but I don’t think two of my teachers think so and my careers advisor said that it’s unrealistic I could get three A’s I’d get the grades since in two of my subjects I only got B’s and C’s in Year 12. My careers advisor also criticised me based on my personal statement draft but I didn’t get chance to explain that I wanted to completely redo it/
already knew it wasn’t the best or what I wanted to actually submit, and wanted help with it, he basically said I’m ‘absolutely not what they’re looking for’ and was very discouraging.
I’m not sure if I should trust the opinion of the career’s advisors since they don’t really know me and didn’t really let me explain my situation, or if I should risk applying and see how it goes. I was also thinking if I do get better grades at the end I could take a gap year and apply with those.
If anyone has any advice I would really appreciate it as I’m really unsure what would be best doing.
Original post by ienjoytoffifee57
I’m in Year 13 and really want to go to Oxford especially after going on the UNIQ summer school, but my college’s career advisors are really strongly advising me not to. I’m predicted AAB and want to do Law where I would need AAA, and trying to convince my teacher to predict me an A is taking a while and I’m not sure if they will.
I went to a state secondary school and achieved 887777666 at GCSE, and I’m also from a POLAR4 Quintile 1 postcode. I do think by the end I could achieve at least AAA or even A*AA, but I don’t think two of my teachers think so and my careers advisor said that it’s unrealistic I could get three A’s I’d get the grades since in two of my subjects I only got B’s and C’s in Year 12. My careers advisor also criticised me based on my personal statement draft but I didn’t get chance to explain that I wanted to completely redo it/
already knew it wasn’t the best or what I wanted to actually submit, and wanted help with it, he basically said I’m ‘absolutely not what they’re looking for’ and was very discouraging.
I’m not sure if I should trust the opinion of the career’s advisors since they don’t really know me and didn’t really let me explain my situation, or if I should risk applying and see how it goes. I was also thinking if I do get better grades at the end I could take a gap year and apply with those.
If anyone has any advice I would really appreciate it as I’m really unsure what would be best doing.

If your predicted grades won’t be raised then your only realistic option is to take a half year and reapply, with achieves grades that meet the entry requirements. They will have more than enough people who meet the minimum requirements applying unfortunately.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Mintkoala
If your predicted grades won’t be raised then your only realistic option is to take a half year and reapply, with achieves grades that meet the entry requirements. They will have more than enough people who meet the minimum requirements applying unfortunately.

Thank you, I was thinking that, it’s just awkward since my teacher who predicted me a B said they’d raise it to an A but didn’t yet so I have no idea if they actually will and it’s getting so close to the deadline

Your careers advisor doesn't sound like a nice person :/ Listen, it's going to be tough but it's not impossible. I think the main factor which will contribute to your success in admission are the admission tests. Get an exceptionally high score and they'll have no choice other than to interview you. Start doing practice papers and work your a** off. If you are not willing to put the work in, I'm afraid there's little to no chance you will get in. Also, make sure you have your personal statement checked by your subject teachers and ask for improvements. You've only got 10 days till the deadline but in the end its your choice if you want to take a gap year; you're still going to have to work hard for those grades. Good luck! Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by Nithu05
Your careers advisor doesn't sound like a nice person :/ Listen, it's going to be tough but it's not impossible. I think the main factor which will contribute to your success in admission are the admission tests. Get an exceptionally high score and they'll have no choice other than to interview you. Start doing practice papers and work your a** off. If you are not willing to put the work in, I'm afraid there's little to no chance you will get in. Also, make sure you have your personal statement checked by your subject teachers and ask for improvements. You've only got 10 days till the deadline but in the end its your choice if you want to take a gap year; you're still going to have to work hard for those grades. Good luck! Hope this helps :smile:

If you’re not predicted the minimum grades (especially for Oxford or Cambridge), then a high score in the admissions tests won’t save you. Your application won’t make it to the point where the test score would matter. You will be screened out before that point.
(edited 1 year ago)

im in year 12 and i have the exact same GSCE grades as you and i want to do law as well. im planning on getting A*A*A predicted and good on the LNAT. May i ask how the LNAT went for you? and where you are applying? im hoping to go into either cambridge/ucl/kcl/durham but i always feel like my GSCE grades arent as good as others( but ive seen someone with similar and worse GSCE get an interview at cambridge for law). Have you considered applying there? however i dont know if the predicited grades will affect you, as the requirement is AAA-A*AA, and more people will have either all A* or A*A*A.
Original post by Mintkoala
If you’re not predicted the minimum grades (especially for Oxford or Cambridge), then a high score in the admissions tests won’t save you. Your application won’t make it to the point where the test score would matter. You will be screened out before that point.

Yeah, you're probably right. It is possible for OP to convince their teacher to predict them an A since it is only one grade higher although I am concerned that they have been getting Bs and Cs throughout year 12.
Edit: Checked your GCSE grades and they're not the best. Would like to point out that Oxford places more emphasis on GCSEs in comparison to Cambridge. If you do meet the entry requirements however, a high admissions test score can definitely give you an edge over the competition
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by springcelti
im in year 12 and i have the exact same GSCE grades as you and i want to do law as well. im planning on getting A*A*A predicted and good on the LNAT. May i ask how the LNAT went for you? and where you are applying? im hoping to go into either cambridge/ucl/kcl/durham but i always feel like my GSCE grades arent as good as others( but ive seen someone with similar and worse GSCE get an interview at cambridge for law). Have you considered applying there? however i dont know if the predicited grades will affect you, as the requirement is AAA-A*AA, and more people will have either all A* or A*A*A.

I haven’t actually taken the LNAT yet, but if it’s helpful the people I know who have have all said it’s challenging but not as stressful as it seems once they had done it. I’m considering applying for Oxford, Bristol, Leeds, UCL and I’m not sure where else (I’m hoping I could get contextual offers for some of them?). I think for Oxbridge there isn’t too much weight on GCSE grades compared to everything else like predicted grades, admission tests, personal statement etc and they’d look at context as well.
Also I think it’s really good you have those aspirations now (I only realised I wanted to apply to Oxford a few months ago so I think that’s kind of set me back a bit in terms of preparation aha)
Good luck :smile:
I haven’t actually taken the LNAT yet, but if it’s helpful the people I know who have have all said it’s challenging but not as stressful as it seems once they had done it. I’m considering applying for Oxford, Bristol, Leeds, UCL and I’m not sure where else (I’m hoping I could get contextual offers for some of them?). I think for Oxbridge there isn’t too much weight on GCSE grades compared to everything else like predicted grades, admission tests, personal statement etc and they’d look at context as well.
Also I think it’s really good you have those aspirations now (I only realised I wanted to apply to Oxford a few months ago so I think that’s kind of set me back a bit in terms of preparation aha)
Good luck :smile:

Thank you! good luck with your application and everything else :smile:

Hi did you end up applying to Oxford? How did it go

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending