The Student Room Group

Which A Levels to take?

Hi, I am currently in Year 11 and want to become a chartered accountant. What would be the best a levels to take?
Also, I want to do something related to finance/accountancy at university but have heard you can do things like chemistry?

I'm predicted A* in most subjects at GCSE.

I was thinking, Maths, Economics, Chemistry, French.
Would I benefit from doing Further Maths?

Thanks in advance.
Reply 1
Need an answer because I'm applying tonight, please answer.
Original post by Appul
Hi, I am currently in Year 11 and want to become a chartered accountant. What would be the best a levels to take?
Also, I want to do something related to finance/accountancy at university but have heard you can do things like chemistry?

I'm predicted A* in most subjects at GCSE.

I was thinking, Maths, Economics, Chemistry, French.
Would I benefit from doing Further Maths?

Thanks in advance.

It might be worth looking up the courses on the unis websites to see if they require any specific subjects.
Those subjects sound pretty good though. You might benefit from doing further maths as well.
Further maths can only compliment your application but also don't over do it, if you were thinking of doing it in addition to the other you've already picked.

Unis won't think any more of you for doing 5 As than 4 and it would be better to get 3 great A2s than 4 mediocre A2s because you couldn't cope with the workload- and you don't want to stress yourself out unnecessarily either.

I would do a bit of research and look at the requirements for the courses you'd like to do. If it was me I would switch chemistry for further maths because I think that it is more relevant and you've already got French as an alternative subject (which shows that you are rounded and potentially opens up opportunities for a career abroad) :smile:
I think as long as you have Maths, you're fine, because Accounting has its own qualifications.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
I'm changing my mind every two seconds :angry:

I've decided I don't want to do French because it seems extremely hard and people who have grown up in french families struggle to get a 'C'. I will self teach it.

Also, I would prefer to do physics over chemistry. However, I don't want to do FM and I want to know if physics is hard if you don't do FM?

3 A2: Maths, Economics, Physics.
1 AS: ?
What should I do?

I was talking to a careers adviser today and he suggested it would be better doing my a levels and then doing an apprenticeship if I want to be a chartered accountant. University will also put me in a lot of debt so now I don't know whether to go?
Reply 6
Thanks for the replies as well.
Reply 7
I think I will do
A2: Maths, Economics, Physics.
AS: Geography

Argh! Geography or further maths?
Geography will be more rounded but FM more beneficial.

Quick Reply

Latest