The Student Room Group

Foundation Degree or Clearing?

Hey,

I'm struggling to decide between doing a foundation degree at Keele or applying for a different course and, if it all goes wrong, going for clearing;

My predicted grades are BCbee, and I am applying to the following unis;

Goldsmiths: Economics, Politics and Social Policy, ABB/BBB (not much hope, I know :P)
Bangor: Social Policy and Economics, 240-280 points
Hertfordshire: Economics, 240-280 points
Plymouth: Economics with Politics, 260 points
then it's either the Foundation degree or Economics at Swansea (BBC)

You could apply for a foundation year.
Original post by BobertXVI
Hey,

I'm struggling to decide between doing a foundation degree at Keele or applying for a different course and, if it all goes wrong, going for clearing;

Goldsmiths: Economics, Politics and Social Policy, ABB/BBB (not much hope, I know :P)

Can you progress onto a degree at another university after the foundation year? It might be a good option. Then again, Swansea might be a good bet too. They seem to have a very high acceptance rate for most courses.
Hey,

Hello BobertXVI,

Are you looking for any specific information about the Foundation Year at Keele, or indeed life on campus?

Let me know if I can help,

Alistair (Marketing and Communications)
Hey,

I'm not sure if you're already clear on this, but universities don't usually reduce their grades that much in clearing, so if you missed BBC grades, there might not be that much available to you via clearing that's different to what's on offer now. If you want to aim for universities with higher entry requirements, then your best bet might be taking a gap year and retaking some modules.

What grades does the foundation degree ask for, and realistically, what grades are you expecting to get?
Reply 5
The Foundation Degree is asking for 160 UCAS points, which shouldn't be a problem considering I already have 120; I'm expecting an A/B and a C in my A2 subjects, and a C in the AS which is predicted a B.
The Foundation Degree is asking for 160 UCAS points, which shouldn't be a problem considering I already have 120; I'm expecting an A/B and a C in my A2 subjects, and a C in the AS which is predicted a B.

If you expect to achieve considerably more points than they ask for, are you sure the foundation degree will make you an offer? I would suggest you contact Keele directly and discuss this with them.
Reply 7
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
If you expect to achieve considerably more points than they ask for, are you sure the foundation degree will make you an offer? I would suggest you contact Keele directly and discuss this with them.

You can be rejected for doing too well?:eek:
You can be rejected for doing too well?:eek:

Foundation years/degrees are generally aimed at a specific type of student, in order to bridge the gap between level 3 qualifications and uni, or for people who have decided on a change of direction at this time, or for people who are returning to education. There's generally a limit on the number of spaces, and the uni will often want these spaces to go to those who will benefit the most from the course.

It depends a lot on the uni and exactly who they are pitching the course at but yes, certainly at some universities you wouldn't be offered a place because you are doing too well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending