The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Medical Science 2015 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lau85
Oh I am old.
I did two years of a biology degree seven years ago. My partner and I then thought it would be a fab idea to have a baby (it was a fab idea)! However, my partner left us when my son was two, so it's taken me a little longer to get back into education. I'm 29, currently doing an Access course as it's been longer than six years since I last studied. Ideally would have loved to do medicine, but financially and realistically impossible as a single parent.
I think I'd like to go into childhood cancer or immunology research. Definitely paediatrics though x

Ah okay, that's cool that you have decided to come back and study again :smile: sounds good! I hope you get your offer :smile: Would exeter be your top choice?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 41
Yes definitely.
Bristol is my second and UWE my back up 😉

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 42
I received my offer for B100 Medical Science this evening. Firmed it straight away. Relieved and ecstatic.
Have you heard yet? X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 43
Have you heard yet Emily? X
Original post by Lau85
Have you heard yet Emily? X

Well done! Yeah I got an offer just over a week ago :smile: Really happy although I'm having a hard time choosing between exeter and manchester now haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 45
Oh well done!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 46
Where are you from, are you closer to either of your favourite uni's?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm from Stroud in Gloucestershire, so it's quicker to get to Exeter as I'm already in the southwest, but manchester isn't too bad to get to. I've got a few questions about Exeter's course so might ring them up and try to speak to someone :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 48
Ah ok, not too far from me. I'm in Somerset. What are your ultimate plans post study?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 49
If you have had an offer for medical science at the university of exeter and putting it as your firm choice, please join the "Exeter University Medical Science Freshers 2015-2016" Facebook page. Questions are welcome :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 50
Original post by ceafyh
If you have had an offer for medical science at the university of exeter and putting it as your firm choice, please join the "Exeter University Medical Science Freshers 2015-2016" Facebook page. Questions are welcome :smile:

Are you a current student doing the medical sciences course? Just have a few questions if you are :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lau85
Ah ok, not too far from me. I'm in Somerset. What are your ultimate plans post study?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm really not sure at the moment to be honest! I think I'd enjoy going into research though :smile: how about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 53
Original post by emily0211
Are you a current student doing the medical sciences course? Just have a few questions if you are :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes I am, I'm currently a first year. Please do ask if you want to know anything
Original post by ceafyh
Yes I am, I'm currently a first year. Please do ask if you want to know anything

Ah great thanks :smile: I'm still deciding between manchester and exeter so trying to find out as much as I can!

The website describing modules seems a bit vague, can I ask what you've studied this year generally, like what areas of biology do the modules cover?
Also do you know anything about the pathways? I'm interested in neuroscience but not sure if I want to focus on just that, do you know how the pathway degrees are set out, as in is the degree from year 2 onwards completely focused on neuroscience or are you able to do a bit of some other areas of biology too on the side?

Thank you!!
Reply 55
Original post by emily0211
Ah great thanks :smile: I'm still deciding between manchester and exeter so trying to find out as much as I can!

The website describing modules seems a bit vague, can I ask what you've studied this year generally, like what areas of biology do the modules cover?
Also do you know anything about the pathways? I'm interested in neuroscience but not sure if I want to focus on just that, do you know how the pathway degrees are set out, as in is the degree from year 2 onwards completely focused on neuroscience or are you able to do a bit of some other areas of biology too on the side?

Thank you!!

This new academic year will be the first time these pathways are introduced, so i have no idea how they work as i am not doing that. But you won't just be doing neuroscience in your second year, you will also be taking other modules. But what you will be having is introductory modules in "genetics and biochemistry", and "cells and microbiology". We also studied things like the reproductive system, the digestive system, neuroscience,... Basically going over everything you did at A-level in a bit more depth to make sure everyone is at the same level (as everyone had done different exam boards)
Neuroscience is really fun, i find it the most interesting, and we got to dissect sheeps brains which was fun. Medical science is quite a small course, which means you get to know most people and the course. This, i think, is the best thing about it, you just get very close to people. There is loads of group work, which is very enjoyable. Most people tend to really like the course. Manchester would be a lot bigger, a lot more students.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 56
Ah very exciting to find this thread!I'm a mature applicant from Glasgow.Exeter is my firm choice and just applied for accommodation.I really hope I get accepted,not sure about meeting my conditions though😔.The campus looks lovely and the course sounds interesting.Can anyone advise if Exeter considers you if you don't quiet meet your conditions ? X
Original post by yayradee
I got an offer yesterday but with professional training. ABB, soooo happy! :smile: Anyone else?

Can you still transfer to medicine after year 1 if you apply to the medical sciences course with the professional training year?
Reply 58
Hey guys, I got an offer for Medical Sciences (neuroscience) starting in 2016. But I don't know which one to firm, Sussex or Exeter, so to make up my mind I would have liked to know what sort of modules Exeter has for neuroscience. Anyone already doing it and is kind enough to share the experience? :smile:
I got an offer for sport and exercise medical sciences which is a cross between medical sciences and sport and exercise science! I think it's a new course this year! Has anyone else applied to this course?

I applied to do sport and exercise science at all my other uni so I am quite excited about this one as it has the medical component too!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending