The Student Room Group

Am I good enough?

I achieved ABDE in my AS levels (English Lit & Lang, Geography, Biology, Chemistry) - hardly spectacular, but that was to be expected. I didn't revise properly, slacked off a bit, treated them like GCSEs... all the usual excuses.

Dropped the E and am also planning to do some resits. My predicted grades are currently A*AC, but I'm in the process of trying to convince my Bio teacher to change it to a B (not going very well so far :rolleyes:). I'm working so much harder than I did last year, though, and I know I'm improving.

I'd like to apply to UCL, KCL, Royal Holloway, Bristol and Nottingham to study Geography. Highest requirement is AAA (UCL) and lowest is ABB (RHUL). My college isn't very high achieving so I suppose that gives me a slight advantage, but my PS isn't really a standout - it just does the job and shows my enthusiasm (I hope).

Please be brutally honest here - am I being too ambitious? I'm mostly drawn to RHUL at the moment, but of course UCL would be a dream (not expecting an offer but I thought I'd try my luck). Is there anyone here who's got into any of these with similar AS grades/predictions? My application's going off next week so this is my last chance to make any changes to my choices.

Thanks! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Unfortunately no.

Sorry
Reply 2
Original post by PILEDRIV3R WALTZ
Unfortunately no.

Sorry

Fair enough haha
Original post by jm9
Fair enough haha

You said the lowest entry requirement is ABB. Some unis might increase their offers by one grade since you're resitting.

You don't want to fall short and get, for example ACC

Good luck
Reply 4
Original post by PILEDRIV3R WALTZ
You said the lowest entry requirement is ABB. Some unis might increase their offers by one grade since you're resitting.

You don't want to fall short and get, for example ACC

Good luck

Really? I'm only resitting one subject and obviously I'm going to do everything I can to prevent that from happening, but that's helpful to know. Might swap one of my choices for a lower end one then, just in case. Thanks!
Applying to your lowest uni of ABB with ABD is risky. If you matched your AS grades at A2 (which can happen), you'd only have 280 ucas points, or BBC. Your lowest uni should fall on that kind of range.
Given your situation, I would personally prepare for a potential gap year and post-A2 application. Your predicted are very high, especially considering you're trying for an A*AB prediction (for context, I have an AAB prediction from ABB achieved)
Reply 6
Original post by loperdoper
Applying to your lowest uni of ABB with ABD is risky. If you matched your AS grades at A2 (which can happen), you'd only have 280 ucas points, or BBC. Your lowest uni should fall on that kind of range.
Given your situation, I would personally prepare for a potential gap year and post-A2 application. Your predicted are very high, especially considering you're trying for an A*AB prediction (for context, I have an AAB prediction from ABB achieved)

Yeah, you're right. I know I'm able to achieve the A* and A (the B was quite high), it's just the D that's letting me down. I know where I went wrong though, and I'm sure I can drag it up over the year if I put the work in - I'm really not keen on the idea of a gap year, I just want to go to uni! Hopefully this'll motivate me enough to work hard. Thanks for the advice :smile:
Reply 7
Have at leasr 2 safe options. UCL and KCL expect you to at least have their minimum entry requirements as predicted grades. UCL is also particularly good for geography.
Reply 8
Also, take a gap year if you think you can grt very good grades. There's also the option of adjustment which UCL participates in.
Reply 9
Unless you know FOR SURE you honestly can, and will get a B in biology after resitting, whilst doing your other A2 subjects - all the unis you've applied for are too ambitious - you'll either maaaaaybe get an offer, or just flat out get rejected from them all. I'd say apply for two max from your list, preferably the ones with the lowest ERs, but for the rest find unis where you meet your actual A-level predictions. Honestly, it's for the best, save yourself the disappointment in August and face the reality now!

I got A*AD in history, English lit and bio and am studying history + Eng lit at Queen Mary, my predicted grades were ABB and my AS grades were ADD. I applied through Extra in February though after getting rejected from all my choices prior. Point is definitel still try, but be realistic and save yourself the stress!

And if you do get A*AB in August remember there is always adjustment in August! Soooo many of my friends are at different unis than they originally had offers for due to their grades!

Good luck! :smile: :smile:
You can try but do so while being prepared for possible straight rejections and having to go through extra/clearing/adjustment in August. I would pick one option with BBB or lower just to be on the safe side of getting an offer though.
Original post by jm9
I achieved ABDE in my AS levels (English Lit & Lang, Geography, Biology, Chemistry) - hardly spectacular, but that was to be expected. I didn't revise properly, slacked off a bit, treated them like GCSEs... all the usual excuses.

Dropped the E and am also planning to do some resits. My predicted grades are currently A*AC, but I'm in the process of trying to convince my Bio teacher to change it to a B (not going very well so far :rolleyes:). I'm working so much harder than I did last year, though, and I know I'm improving.

I'd like to apply to UCL, KCL, Royal Holloway, Bristol and Nottingham to study Geography. Highest requirement is AAA (UCL) and lowest is ABB (RHUL). My college isn't very high achieving so I suppose that gives me a slight advantage, but my PS isn't really a standout - it just does the job and shows my enthusiasm (I hope).

Please be brutally honest here - am I being too ambitious? I'm mostly drawn to RHUL at the moment, but of course UCL would be a dream (not expecting an offer but I thought I'd try my luck). Is there anyone here who's got into any of these with similar AS grades/predictions? My application's going off next week so this is my last chance to make any changes to my choices.

You're taking a massive risk. First off, UCL simply isn't going to happen - you're not even predicted their entry requirements and those predictions will look hugely inflated to any admissions tutor. The fact that the 'lowest' offer you're applying for is ABB is worrying - you should at least apply to one university with the kind of standard of your AS levels (e.g. BBB).
Reply 12
Original post by arminb
Have at leasr 2 safe options. UCL and KCL expect you to at least have their minimum entry requirements as predicted grades. UCL is also particularly good for geography.

Original post by sarsoora
Unless you know FOR SURE you honestly can, and will get a B in biology after resitting, whilst doing your other A2 subjects - all the unis you've applied for are too ambitious - you'll either maaaaaybe get an offer, or just flat out get rejected from them all. I'd say apply for two max from your list, preferably the ones with the lowest ERs, but for the rest find unis where you meet your actual A-level predictions. Honestly, it's for the best, save yourself the disappointment in August and face the reality now!

I got A*AD in history, English lit and bio and am studying history + Eng lit at Queen Mary, my predicted grades were ABB and my AS grades were ADD. I applied through Extra in February though after getting rejected from all my choices prior. Point is definitel still try, but be realistic and save yourself the stress!

And if you do get A*AB in August remember there is always adjustment in August! Soooo many of my friends are at different unis than they originally had offers for due to their grades!

Good luck! :smile: :smile:

Original post by Paralove
You can try but do so while being prepared for possible straight rejections and having to go through extra/clearing/adjustment in August. I would pick one option with BBB or lower just to be on the safe side of getting an offer though.

Original post by Chlorophile
You're taking a massive risk. First off, UCL simply isn't going to happen - you're not even predicted their entry requirements and those predictions will look hugely inflated to any admissions tutor. The fact that the 'lowest' offer you're applying for is ABB is worrying - you should at least apply to one university with the kind of standard of your AS levels (e.g. BBB).

Cheers to everyone for the reality check. I'd have looked a right idiot if I'd have applied without asking this first :colondollar:

I think I'll keep KCL (AAB), Royal Holloway (ABB) and Nottingham (AAB). And UCL's website actually says AAA-AAB, but I'm guessing the chances of getting an offer with the latter are quite low. Never really liked it that much anyway, I think I wanted to apply just because of its reputation. When I went to one of their talks at a University of London open day it seemed a bit full-on and extremely hardworking - I get that, but I want to have fun at uni too!

I guess I'll have to get rid of this obsession with RG unis and start looking at some courses with BBB requirements. Thanks again to everyone :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
Your predictions are too high honestly...
Reply 14
Original post by anonwinner
Your predictions are too high honestly...

I'd rather have them too high than too low. It's quite common to predict one grade above what's achieved at AS - considering I worked at about half my ability last year, I think the C/B is the only unreasonable one I've got there.
From what I've read on here,people usually get rejected if their predicted grades are too optimistic(schools want them to excel obviously).This is called grade inflation.My predicted grades are A* A A.I achieved A and 3 B's at As levels.My maths teacher might change it to an A* since I am doing well and I'll resit the AS modules.I am not sure whether I'll get an offer from UCL etc.But still giving it a go!
OP Still go for it!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jm9

Hey :smile:
Remember you're in control here, and there's no reason why you can't get into university. You can only move forward from the grades that you're not satisfied with.. the best thing you can do is perhaps imrove your personal statement and make sure that you're prepared for your resits. Right?
Reply 17
Original post by jm9

As long as you get your predicted grades one of them might accept you. I know that the number of people applying is declining rapidly. Last year tons of people in my sister's year didn't get their target grades but still got in. Universities are becoming more of a business where as long as you have money and sort of academic ability you should be okay. Keep working hard though! :biggrin:
Reply 18
Original post by jm9

I guess I'll have to get rid of this obsession with RG unis and start looking at some courses with BBB requirements. Thanks again to everyone :biggrin:

Liverpool are an RG and tend to give out offers to those with grades similar to yours, and I've heard they sometimes look past a miss of the grade requirements(ABB) you should have a look :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by Skill Twix
From what I've read on here,people usually get rejected if their predicted grades are too optimistic(schools want them to excel obviously).This is called grade inflation.My predicted grades are A* A A.I achieved A and 3 B's at As levels.My maths teacher might change it to an A* since I am doing well and I'll resit the AS modules.I am not sure whether I'll get an offer from UCL etc.But still giving it a go!
OP Still go for it!

I don't know whether to go for it or not! :s-smilie: But I guess there's no harm in punching above your weight with one choice, especially if there's other ones to fall back on... eh, the worst that can happen is a rejection and an admissions tutor laughing pitifully at me, might as well go for it!

Quick Reply

Latest