The Student Room Group

5 AS/A-Levels?

I'm in Year 11 and applying for Sixth Form, there's 5 subjects that I really like the look of: Art, Biology, English Literature, Psychology and Theatre Studies. I can't decide on 1 to drop, I was thinking of doing the 5 and whichever I get the lowest at AS level, dropping that subject. Anyone thats doing any of the subjects, do you enjoy them? and Are 5 AS Levels difficult?
(edited 9 years ago)
If you want to take 5 A levels it should be fine however you will need to be aware of the amount of work you need to do. I don't do any of the subjects you have chosen however I have couple of friends who do. Art is known to be very time consuming. therefore if you want to take 5 subjects and art is one of them you will find quiet difficult to balance the work for each subject. I hope this helps you.
Original post by octopus21
I'm in Year 11 and applying for Sixth Form, there's 5 subjects that I really like the look of: Art, Biology, English Literature, Psychology and Theatre Studies. I can't decide on 1 to drop, I was thinking of doing the 5 and whichever I get the lowest at AS level, dropping that subject. Anyone thats doing any of the subjects, do you enjoy them? and Are 5 AS Levels difficult?

You also need to be aware that you wont be able to drop certain subjects from 2015 onwards as A-levels are going linear.
Reply 3
I am starting year 13 now and have done 6 AS levels (all 90%+) including Maths further maths chemistry physics spanish and extended project and have had no problem at all throughout the course. You should be able of coping with them 5 if you believe in yourself.

Good luck!!!
I wouldn't recommend it, especially with Art and Drama.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Art is time consuming, and you might have to commit quite a few hours to Theatre Studies. No experience with theatre myself but i'm gathering there's a practical side, which will probably involve rehearsal hours. In terms of the theory, I don't know how much crossover there would be with Eng Lit (which might satisfy your needs enough). I'd drop one of those two (art/theatre), as to be honest, you can continue them as a hobby in your free time, either by continuing art or getting involved with an amateur dramatics group. Depends exactly on your motivations/what you want to achieve as to what's best for you. If you want to do well, your time is better focused on four than five, especially where creative subjects are involved.

Also, what are your GCSEs like? It's silly to put yourself under extra pressure by taking an additional subject you don't need if you're already going to face a lot of work ahead of you.

Best way to judge it would be to try it for a few weeks, and decide then which to drop. You should have an idea of what's expected to you, time/work-wise and whether or not you think you'll enjoy it. It might surprise you that you don't end up liking one of them as much as you thought you might.
Reply 6
Original post by Nymthae
Art is time consuming, and you might have to commit quite a few hours to Theatre Studies. No experience with theatre myself but i'm gathering there's a practical side, which will probably involve rehearsal hours. In terms of the theory, I don't know how much crossover there would be with Eng Lit (which might satisfy your needs enough). I'd drop one of those two (art/theatre), as to be honest, you can continue them as a hobby in your free time, either by continuing art or getting involved with an amateur dramatics group. Depends exactly on your motivations/what you want to achieve as to what's best for you. If you want to do well, your time is better focused on four than five, especially where creative subjects are involved.

Also, what are your GCSEs like? It's silly to put yourself under extra pressure by taking an additional subject you don't need if you're already going to face a lot of work ahead of you.

Best way to judge it would be to try it for a few weeks, and decide then which to drop. You should have an idea of what's expected to you, time/work-wise and whether or not you think you'll enjoy it. It might surprise you that you don't end up liking one of them as much as you thought you might.

I chose Art, Drama, German and History alongside the compulsory English Literature & Language, Maths and Double Science, I got a B in Core Science, and I'm predicted 6A's and 2B's in the other subjects.
Original post by octopus21
I chose Art, Drama, German and History alongside the compulsory English Literature & Language, Maths and Double Science, I got a B in Core Science, and I'm predicted 6A's and 2B's in the other subjects.

To be honest.. looking at the GCSEs that you are doing I wouldn't recommend doing 5 A-levels. I did 13 GCSEs and got pretty good grades, and I'm doing 5 A-levels now. I'm not doing art or drama, but the 3 sciences, Psychology and Maths. It is not easy at all- and don't compare A-level to GCSE coz it is a completely different situation. You get a huge amount of work and you are expected to work a lot harder in A-level. Especially art and drama at A-level is extremely time-consuming, so I suggest only choosing 4 A-levels if you really want to do either art or drama, so you will have free periods to get on with your work.
Original post by tifftiffli
To be honest.. looking at the GCSEs that you are doing I wouldn't recommend doing 5 A-levels. I did 13 GCSEs and got pretty good grades, and I'm doing 5 A-levels now. I'm not doing art or drama, but the 3 sciences, Psychology and Maths. It is not easy at all- and don't compare A-level to GCSE coz it is a completely different situation. You get a huge amount of work and you are expected to work a lot harder in A-level. Especially art and drama at A-level is extremely time-consuming, so I suggest only choosing 4 A-levels if you really want to do either art or drama, so you will have free periods to get on with your work.

I agree
Reply 9
Okay thanks for your advice everyone, I've decided out of Art & Theatre Studies to drop Theatre Studies, its not really relevant for what I want to do in the future, it was purely because I liked the subject that I was going to continue to A-Level with it.

Quick Reply

Latest