The Student Room Group

Mens health - unable to put on weight.

Okay so I'm 21 years old and my weight fluctuates between 9-10 Stone. I stand 6ft tall. I'm a manual labourer on a farm and have been since the age of 13. If you were to ask anyone of my friends who are all taller and heavier than myself they would say i am very strong. i am pretty strong its really weird because i don't look it. people say about core strength and whatever but yeah. i look like i need a sandwhich. oh yeah i eat LOADS aswell i surprise alot of people with the amount i can shovel down my hole, but it just doesnt go anywhere... i eat healthy good meals aswell. and i also included multivitamins into my daily diet. this is getting to a point now where it is depressing me about how i look.. everyone has said to me over the years there will be a day where you'll just start piling it on.....okay whens that? i cant eat anymore than i already do and im lifting heavy machinery and what not 6 days a week... its pretty ridiculous tbh. is there anyone out there similar to me or anyone with experience of struggling to put on weight? theres alot of help out there for the ''heavier'' kind but not us skinny dudes...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
just too add ive also tried things like junk food binges..didnt work and felt like sh1t! all i want is to be around 11-12st...i must admit im not a gym person but i put 12hour manual shifts 6 days a week lifting 30-60kg hay bails over my head... repetitively and all sorts of other heavy lifting..
Reply 2
also what muscle i do have is very well defined. i must have 0% body fat.. to add aswell. i struggle with circulation problems with hands and feet. also pins and needles daily. this is probably smoking related.
Eat more, eat low satiation foods such as peanut butter, nutella etc

Stop smoking, it reduces appetite as well as the rest of it

Count your calories, aim for 3000 or so to start with, Myfitnesspal is a good one

Working on farms is hard work, I've done a lot of it and it's damn tiring. Eat eat and eat more is the only advice for you
Original post by FCUKISIS
also what muscle i do have is very well defined. i must have 0% body fat.. to add aswell. i struggle with circulation problems with hands and feet. also pins and needles daily. this is probably smoking related.

0% body fat?
Ok m8.
You're not eating as much as you think you are.
If you're very active, aim for ~3000-3500cal /day and you'll gain weight no problem

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
okay so maybe 0% body fat is abit optimistic but believe me it's low. my friend is a fitness instructor and we monitored my calorie intake to be around 2500 to 3000 daily which isnt exactly low. i must also inform that i also smoke around 3-5grams of homegrown cannabis daily and have done for since 17. i am currently trying to cut this amount down as i know this isnt a healthy amount to be smoking. if any amount is? aha. but my cannabis intake is a whole other problem....or maybe it's not...who knows...
Reply 7
Original post by Angry cucumber
Eat more, eat low satiation foods such as peanut butter, nutella etc

Stop smoking, it reduces appetite as well as the rest of it

Count your calories, aim for 3000 or so to start with, Myfitnesspal is a good one

Working on farms is hard work, I've done a lot of it and it's damn tiring. Eat eat and eat more is the only advice for you

Peanut butter and nutella are up there with my favourite foods aha i am a big foodie.
Reply 8
also thanks everyone for your comments. much appreciated.
okay so maybe 0% body fat is abit optimistic but believe me it's low. my friend is a fitness instructor and we monitored my calorie intake to be around 2500 to 3000 daily which isnt exactly low. i must also inform that i also smoke around 3-5grams of homegrown cannabis daily and have done for since 17. i am currently trying to cut this amount down as i know this isnt a healthy amount to be smoking. if any amount is? aha. but my cannabis intake is a whole other problem....or maybe it's not...who knows...

2500-3000 is really not a lot of calories, especially for a 6ft male who works on a farm and does manual labour every day, eat 3000 cals for 2 weeks and track your weight, if it doesn't go up then increase by 200 cals and continue to track until you're gaining 0.5 lbs per week

are you lifting weights aswell? idk what kind of and how much lifting your manual labour entails but if you aren't on a proper weight lifting routine most of the weight you do put on will be fat

edit: just read you're lifting bales and ****, I have no idea what percentage of weight gained will be muscle gain with that tbh
(edited 9 years ago)

Lets put it this way, the number of benefits you're getting from the THC etc in the weed is vastly outweighed by the smoke particles coating your lungs in tar

And to increase your food intake - add 4, 5 pieces of bread with nutella and/or peanut butter thickly applied, you'll gain weight easily
Original post by Greg Jackson
2500-3000 is really not a lot of calories, especially for a 6ft male who works on a farm and does manual labour every day, eat 3000 cals for 2 weeks and track your weight, if it doesn't go up then increase by 200 cals and continue to track until you're gaining 0.5 lbs per week

are you lifting weights aswell? idk what kind of and how much lifting your manual labour entails but if you aren't on a proper weight lifting routine most of the weight you do put on will be fat

He's doing manual labour, he'll make all kinds of gains from that on a surplus

It's why fat(ter) farmers are strong as ****, lifes a strong man competition on farms tbh

Unless you're a contractor sitting in a tractor all day, then fair enough, you'll just get fat

Or you could save yourself that small fortune and drink some milk, have a few PB sandwichws, or hell blend some PB with the milk and a banana etc
I suggest that you're underestimating your intake of food and like others say you might simply want to eat more.

I'd love to be given the advice "eat more" :frown:

If it's not affecting your health. i.e. you simply want to put on weight for aesthetic reasons...enjoy being thin. It's much less fun to be overweight and trying to slim down.
Original post by TimeWalker
I suggest that you're underestimating your intake of food and like others say you might simply want to eat more.

I'd love to be given the advice "eat more" :frown:

If it's not affecting your health. i.e. you simply want to put on weight for aesthetic reasons...enjoy being thin. It's much less fun to be overweight and trying to slim down.

He's 9st at 6ft

Thats underweight, really under weight
12 hour shifts of manual labor 6/days a week and 6ft? I imagine you would need at least 3.5k calories to get your weight moving up, even at such a light weight.
Reply 17
Original post by Angry cucumber
He's doing manual labour, he'll make all kinds of gains from that on a surplus

It's why fat(ter) farmers are strong as ****, lifes a strong man competition on farms tbh

Unless you're a contractor sitting in a tractor all day, then fair enough, you'll just get fat

F-ing contractors right lazy ***** them lot.
Reply 18
Original post by In One Ear
12 hour shifts of manual labor 6/days a week and 6ft? I imagine you would need at least 3.5k calories to get your weight moving up, even at such a light weight.

I must admit this does shock me. But thanks for the advice that go's to everyone who has comment on my thread thanks for taking the time.. I think your probably right my eating at the moment is filling me up 2500 too 3000 calories daily so maybe I need to push it past being full to gain?
Reply 19
Quick update:

Here's a little example of my eating habits.. It's coming up to 10:30 am and unfortunately I'm working today.. Routine wise today.. I woke at half 4 by quarter to 5 I was a couple of Bong hits away to not being able to move aha then I chucked two bowls of granola cereal down me with chopped banana and maple syrup (for judge aha) assisted by two cups of tea one sugar in each. Upon leaving for work at 5 I stopped at our local express supermarket and bought two high protein milkshake drinks (which I buy daily) and two sandwiches for later one being a blt an one being a egg mayonnaise. I also got two bagels who h I ate in the car before I got to work along with a kit kat. Before 9am both milkshakes had gone and the blt.. I'm eating the egg mayo as I type now aha.. Sooo around 12-1 I will be going to get so more to eat probably peanut butter related or something like that followed but snacking on crisps and ****ty things like that.. Il arrive home to a Sunday dinner later il easily throw down 2 mountain potions of that followed by a homemade dessert of some kind and before I settle for bed later on il probably eat a further 2-3 bowls of cereal and a couple of rounds of toast with different toppings.. Depending on my fancy. I must add I've smoked 5 bongs before work today will smoke 2-3 joints whilst working then will finish the day with 2-3 joints at home and most likely 5-10 bowls... (Oops) thanks for all your comments guy has been much appreciated

Quick Reply

Latest