The Student Room Group

Please help, should I drop out of law school ?

Hi, I know it's not really the right place to post this but I'm a law student repeating my first year at uni and I think I may be already screwed because there's a lot of competition and giving that I'm repeating my first year I'm wondering what are my chances to get a job after I graduate...
Also, I'm scared to drop out and start studying an other subject next year because the fact that I spend two years in (the first year of) law school before will look bad on my resume

Do you think I should quit law school ? Was a law degree even worth considering in the first place giving the job market etc ?

Thanks in advance XX
You are asking:

- how will repeating your first year affect your job chances?

I think this depends on how you do, obviously, and also why you are repeating ie is it genuine mitigating circumstances? Either way, it seems a mature decision to take which shows you have foresight and responsibility. You need to get a good degree result in any case to have good job chances. So, I don't know, but you are in a better position having done something about it, that's for sure.

- you might want to change subject, and you are worrying about how 2 years doing law might look on your CV

Well, again, you don't say why you are thinking any of this, but it again could show maturity to fess up and say that law just was not the subject for you, or it wasn't the right thing to do for you to study law - for example, perhaps you made the decision to study law to please someone else - I think a lot of people do that

- is a law degree worth getting

Yes, it really is! I also think it is a great foundation for all sorts of careers but again, you would need a good result in it ie 2.1 - but you know, you don't even need a law degree to be a lawyer so lots of other degrees will also open doors - I think it is about how well you do.

So, it might be an idea to change if you think you could get a better result on another course, or it might be best to stay put if you think you can work hard at law and get a 2.1

Dont be afraid of speaking to your tutor about this - they have probably seen other people go through it

Original post by Emma_ML
Hi, I know it's not really the right place to post this but I'm a law student repeating my first year at uni and I think I may be already screwed because there's a lot of competition and giving that I'm repeating my first year I'm wondering what are my chances to get a job after I graduate...
Also, I'm scared to drop out and start studying an other subject next year because the fact that I spend two years in (the first year of) law school before will look bad on my resume

Do you think I should quit law school ? Was a law degree even worth considering in the first place giving the job market etc ?

Thanks in advance XX
I think you really need to think hard about whether you like law or not.

Do you have to retake your first year because you had mitigating circumstances, e.g. illness, or is it because you didn't try enough to do well? Studying something you don't enjoy will make motivating yourself extremely hard. Is there something else you would find interesting to study? Law is a brilliant subject and a very good degree for various careers not just law, but it isn't for everyone. It can be very dry at times and there's a lot of reading to do in comparison to some other areas, e.g. English/Politics.

Do you like your university and the city you live in? I have a classmate who started law at a different university, also Redbrick, and she didn't like the city at all, had a hard time making friends, didn't like the life there and after she finished her first year exams she transferred to my university and started her first year again.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending