The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
ouch! someones a bit "prickly" today. the use of the word prickly is because i can't think of another word, so please no literary lectures on appropriate use of words!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
I'm not particularly prickly today, it's just that when you've seen this (totally open ended, ambiguous and opinionated) thread a zillion times before, it starts to get a little wearing.
If she'd asked something like "What are the pros and cons of choosing Castle over Butler" (two picked for the sake of argument and because they're polar opposites) then it would have been OK, but saying "which college is best" is obviously not going to elicit any helpful responses, as there will be fourteen different answers.
Mattmoy_2000
I'm not particularly prickly today, it's just that when you've seen this (totally open ended, ambiguous and opinionated) thread a zillion times before, it starts to get a little wearing.
If she'd asked something like "What are the pros and cons of choosing Castle over Butler" (two picked for the sake of argument and because they're polar opposites) then it would have been OK, but saying "which college is best" is obviously not going to elicit any helpful responses, as there will be fourteen different answers.

She did make the question more specific in the main body of the text. The title "Which college is the best, considering I like sport and don't like walking" would have beena bit cumbersome, no? Personally I thought the title was meant to give a vague outline and the rest of the information was meant to be held within, like she posted, but I could be wrong.:rolleyes:
Reply 23
Clearly Mildert. End of.
Don't like walking when? Late at night, alone? Choose Bailey. To lectures with your mates? Choose hill. All the colleges do sport to a decent standard so it's pretty irrelevant for choosing, esp as you've got the uni sports teams too. The question is still too vague, in that the original poster hasn't even been bothered to narrow down her choices to less than 14 by doing some research - all the information she might want can be found by using the search function.
Reply 25
I'm agreeing with Mattmoy_2000. People can't tell you which college to choose, you have to do your own research and find out for yourself, or, like me, just stick in an Open Application and hope for the best! I know I ended up in the right place. There'slots of threads on here asking about colleges, go and mill through them and try and narrow your choice down. :smile:
Reply 26
Aceofspades2345
She did make the question more specific in the main body of the text. The title "Which college is the best, considering I like sport and don't like walking" would have beena bit cumbersome, no? Personally I thought the title was meant to give a vague outline and the rest of the information was meant to be held within, like she posted, but I could be wrong.:rolleyes:

Not really.....there are numerous sports you can do at Durham and no one college is "the best" for all sports. Also, whilst they may not like walking, Hild Bede would be good if you're doing a language (all lectures in Elvet Riverside) but not good at all if you're doing Biology (lectures right at the top of the hill!).

You have to be REALLY specific when asking about colleges, as they're all very different (yet all the same in that whichever you choose, you have over 99% chance of loving it!) :smile:
Reply 27
Go for Butler!! it's where all the coolest people are going! :wink: :p:
:cool:
All valid points but there's much better ways to point it out than saying "FFS, read one of the four hundred thousand other threads dedicated to this."
Reply 29
Ps - Hello Dobbs!! been a looooong time!! :biggrin:
Reply 30
goldenbarnes
All valid points but there's much better ways to point it out than saying "FFS, read one of the four hundred thousand other threads dedicated to this."

It's true - I don't mind people asking about it because it gives me a chance to go "CHOOSE TREVS....WE'RE THE BEST! :biggrin:"
Reply 31
Sjay_baby
Ps - Hello Dobbs!! been a looooong time!! :biggrin:

lol yes weirdly enough I just thought "Hey I haven't seen her in a while!!" helloooooooooo! where have you been and how have you been? :smile:
Using the search function is just basic forum ettiquette. Becca even made an FAQ and stickied it, which contains a wide range of information which would be of use to this young lady too.
Reply 33
dobbs
lol yes weirdly enough I just thought "Hey I haven't seen her in a while!!" helloooooooooo! where have you been and how have you been? :smile:

oh you know the usual, hiding under a rock to escape the joys of 4 whole months with the parents!! lol! :biggrin:
I've been fab thanks, and yourself? :smile:
Reply 34
I think it's quite unfair to say that hilliards are 'sporty jocks' when you think of the lacrosse-playing tossers from Bailey colleges...
Reply 35
Aceofspades2345

love u babes!
Reply 36
arkbar
I think it's quite unfair to say that hilliards are 'sporty jocks' when you think of the lacrosse-playing tossers from Bailey colleges...

Matt was putting across the stereotypical view. Just as it's stereotypical to call all bailey dwellers rahs....come on Ali, you're becoming slow....damn Americans! :p:

Sjay - Sounds fun! Yeah I've been good, recently a bit bored, but I'm going back to Durham TOMORROW......WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I'm excited :biggrin:
I was deliberately giving the stereotyped images of the various places, as that is generally what these discussions produce - i.e. a load of blollox.
Reply 38
Mattmoy_2000
I was deliberately giving the stereotyped images of the various places, as that is generally what these discussions produce - i.e. a load of blollox.

Well thats what you WOULD say.....you're from CASTLE....bloody rah! :mad: Go cry to Daddy for some more money why don't you?!!?!?!

:wink:
Reply 39
Aceofspades2345
I like sport and don't like walking

lol. What a wonderful contradiction! :biggrin:

Latest