The Student Room Group

Don't know what course to choose at university?

My A Level subjects are as follows; maths, economics and chemistry. So far Maths is my favorite subject but I wouldn't want to consider picking it for university. I really enjoy solving problems and doing practical work.
Furthermore these are my skills
a mixture of creative and practical skills
good computer skills
the ability to work as part of a team

I would appreciate if someone just gave me a list of courses that are best suitable for me and gave a reason why.

Please help

Thanks.
You shouldn't be asking strangers online for such answers.

What degree you want to study should be your own, thoroughly contemplated decision. It's not just a couple of years at university... it's essentially your whole future career.

Deep down you know the answer to your question.
Reply 2
I may be entirely wrong, but that sounds a bit like engineering? It uses maths and it can be hands on
Chemical engineering? From what you've said I'd say engineering of some description, but you don't have physics which rules out most of them. That or, possibly pharmacy or something?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by President Putin
You shouldn't be asking strangers online for such answers.

What degree you want to study should be your own, thoroughly contemplated decision. It's not just a couple of years at university... it's essentially your whole future career.

Deep down you know the answer to your question.

I really have no clue... lol I've actually tried to think for so long but I don't know what I want to do :frown:
I had an idea of computer science but I don't know if I would be interested in any of the careers.... :frown: so I really need help lol
Reply 5
Try ukcoursefinder or similar websites. I had no clue what course I wanted to do, I just did A levels that I did well in and enjoyed at GCSE (Geography, History and Maths) but apart from that, I was stuck. Ukcoursefinder gives you a set of questions and then gives you a list of potential courses and related courses, depending on what answers you give, and then it gives a list of the universities that do those courses. Hope this helps! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by RedSoldiier
I really have no clue... lol I've actually tried to think for so long but I don't know what I want to do :frown:
I had an idea of computer science but I don't know if I would be interested in any of the careers.... :frown: so I really need help lol

Comp Sci has a few different career options. There's software engineering where you're tasked to create software to certain specifications. The research/entrepreneur side where you could develop something brand new or innovative like an AI, something in robotics, etc. Or there's the financial route, as big finance companies are after top compscis for their high mathematical skills.

Quick Reply

Latest