The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Number of hours required in university for full time PhD student?

Dear fellow students

I am considering applying for a Social Anthropology PhD with Durham University, and was just wondering about what exactly full time means in actual hours for a PhD student.

How full time is full time? How many hours are PhD students required to be in the University office per day? Also, as PhD work is predominantly self directed, are these required attendance hours sort of flexitime, or are they rigidly timetabled? Finally, is there the possibility to do some of the required uni hours either on a "working from home" basis as a full time student, or potentially from another university site? I ask this as I am a (very) mature student who lives in York, and it would be great to perhaps do some of my hours at home or on split-site basis at the York University campus. Also, I definitely do not want to go for the Part Time option :smile:.

Sorry for the multi-layered questions......Just a lot of stuff to think about before actually committing :K::K::K::h::h::rolleyes::K: . Thank you all in advance!!
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest