The Student Room Group

Holding a firm conditional offer but looking to change course

Hi, I have a firm conditional offer at Exeter. I’ve seen my course in clearing before they closed it with reduced requirements (my offer is AAB, clearing says BBC) so I’m fairly confident that I’ll be accepted.

I’d prefer to switch to a different course at Exeter (History which did not appear in clearing). As it’s now so close to results day now, should I ask them to consider before Thursday or wait until I have my results?

Thanks!
Original post by sunnydaytoday
Hi, I have a firm conditional offer at Exeter. I’ve seen my course in clearing before they closed it with reduced requirements (my offer is AAB, clearing says BBC) so I’m fairly confident that I’ll be accepted.

I’d prefer to switch to a different course at Exeter (History which did not appear in clearing). As it’s now so close to results day now, should I ask them to consider before Thursday or wait until I have my results?

Thanks!

Hey @sunnydaytoday,

Firstly, congratulations for getting an offer from university - I hope you are excited (and a bit nervous for results day)!

I personally think, if you are certain that you would like to change your course - its a good idea to start the process ASAP by contacting them now. This way you can get some more LATEST information to help your decision and also because most admissions teams are very active during the clearing time so they will most likely get back to you sooner now rather than on results day.

There is no harm in seeing what they say - you can always contact them again after results.

Shaheer (Lancaster Student Ambassador)

Thanks!

If a course doesnt end up in clearing it will be full. It would be unlikely they will accept you.
Reply 3
Original post by swanseajack1
If a course doesnt end up in clearing it will be full. It would be unlikely they will accept you.

Yep, fully aware of that but if I don’t ask then I’ll never know. Question was more about whether I should contact them now or wait until Thursday morning. And they’ve shut clearing so no idea if History will be in clearing or not.

Thanks both. If any admissions people have thoughts, would love some advice.
Send them an email today requesting the switch (make it clear what you want to happen if their answer is no - or if they can only offer you a switch if you move to Cornwall campus (I don’t know if they offer history in penryn)).

There’s no harm in asking and the earlier you ask the more likely they’ll be able to help you
Yep, fully aware of that but if I don’t ask then I’ll never know. Question was more about whether I should contact them now or wait until Thursday morning. And they’ve shut clearing so no idea if History will be in clearing or not.

Thanks both. If any admissions people have thoughts, would love some advice.

I was about to raise the same point about Penryn as @PQ above. If they offer you History there, be very aware that the course is very, very different. Whether you like the options there, which are much more limited, is up to you.
Reply 6
Thanks very much, I definitely don’t want to go to Penryn so I’ll make that clear. Really appreciate your help!
Original post by ageshallnot
I was about to raise the same point about Penryn as @PQ above. If they offer you History there, be very aware that the course is very, very different. Whether you like the options there, which are much more limited, is up to you.

The problem with Penry is its location. It is miles from any major city. It is 3 hours by train from Exeter, a further hour from Bristol and 2 hours more from London and more from elsewhere. It is also a very small place. It has less than 10,000 population and there isnt much there. My son did his PhD there and went we visited he decided to stay in Falmouth. It was nicer and has more but even that doesnt fit with other students cities like Bath or Exeter or even larger cities. It might suit some but not most. This is why Exeter has difficulty filling places there.
Original post by swanseajack1
The problem with Penry is its location. It is miles from any major city. It is 3 hours by train from Exeter, a further hour from Bristol and 2 hours more from London and more from elsewhere. It is also a very small place. It has less than 10,000 population and there isnt much there. My son did his PhD there and went we visited he decided to stay in Falmouth. It was nicer and has more but even that doesnt fit with other students cities like Bath or Exeter or even larger cities. It might suit some but not most. This is why Exeter has difficulty filling places there.

In my view, never having been there, the main problem with Penryn's courses is their limited choices. From that perspective, joint honours there are a better bet because the limitations are less important.
Original post by ageshallnot
In my view, never having been there, the main problem with Penryn's courses is their limited choices. From that perspective, joint honours there are a better bet because the limitations are less important.

Having been there I realize how limited it is and how far it is from everywhere. I am not surprised Exeter has difficulty filling places. The reason for the lack of choices is the very small numbers going there

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending