The Student Room Group

Will my application be hindered by my situation?

Hi all, I am a 20 year old who has just started my first year of A levels, and so far doing pretty well with all A's predicted, though I hope to increase those to A* at some point.

However, this is not my first time at sixth form as I attended for 2 years when I was 16 coming out with a b in graphics and a c in photography. Unfortunately I wasnt at a great place in my life at that point and entered college unprepared and just chose subjects I thought I would enjoy.

Would this have any bearing on my application for oxbridge? Will they know that Ive been to sixth form twice? Is there a way of just not declaring my grades from my previous years?

Thanks for reading, I look forwards to your replies :smile:
Original post by VIdropout
Hi all, I am a 20 year old who has just started my first year of A levels, and so far doing pretty well with all A's predicted, though I hope to increase those to A* at some point.

However, this is not my first time at sixth form as I attended for 2 years when I was 16 coming out with a b in graphics and a c in photography. Unfortunately I wasnt at a great place in my life at that point and entered college unprepared and just chose subjects I thought I would enjoy.

Would this have any bearing on my application for oxbridge? Will they know that Ive been to sixth form twice? Is there a way of just not declaring my grades from my previous years?

Thanks for reading, I look forwards to your replies :smile:

Well you seem to be doing well in school now, so I don't see why you shouldn't apply to Oxbridge, since you'll never know if you're able to get in if you don't apply. As for your situation, you should approach whoever's writing your recommendations to explain your circumstances in the recommendation, it may be considered under 'extenuating circumstances', so that probably won't hinder your application that much. Good luck with your applications next year :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by perphation
Well you seem to be doing well in school now, so I don't see why you shouldn't apply to Oxbridge, since you'll never know if you're able to get in if you don't apply. As for your situation, you should approach whoever's writing your recommendations to explain your circumstances in the recommendation, it may be considered under 'extenuating circumstances', so that probably won't hinder your application that much. Good luck with your applications next year :smile:

Phew!.. exactly what I was hoping to hear. I heard that they frown upon people who took third years because they failed their course so thought my situation might have an ill effect on my chances. Hopefully the fact that im studying completely different subjects negates that attitude.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending