The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

CompSci Admissions Day: 29/11/2014

I was invited (via e-mail today) to the Computer Science admissions day, all expenses paid up to £100(Fancy that, eh?) but UCAS is not telling me they have made me an offer.

Why would they send me this or is UCAS lagging behind? (I don't understand why they'd subsidise an 'applicant' for up to £100)

Anyone else had this, for any course?
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by El-Presidente
I was invited (via e-mail today) to the Computer Science admissions day, all expenses paid up to £100(Fancy that, eh?) but UCAS is not telling me they have made me an offer.

Why would they send me this or is UCAS lagging behind?

Anyone else had this, for any course?

Was this admissions day following a formal acceptance? If not then you wouldn't have UCAS telling you that they've made you an offer :no:
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Is this for Newcastle? I received one today, along with one from Sheffield. Is it essential that I go, or will I miss out on something?
Reply 3
Original post by nouht
Is this for Newcastle? I received one today, along with one from Sheffield. Is it essential that I go, or will I miss out on something?

Newcastle, aye.
I've got an invite to an applicant day too (29th of November). My thinking is that if they are prepared to reimburse £100 is that they are likely to give an offer if you attend the visit day.

Wishful thinking perhaps!
Reply 5
Original post by Guy from t'North
I've got an invite to an applicant day too (29th of November). My thinking is that if they are prepared to reimburse £100 is that they are likely to give an offer if you attend the visit day.

Wishful thinking perhaps!

Computer Science, I trust?

Should be great fun! I've noticed other people who seem to be getting these admissions day invites are 21+? I hope I'm not the only one who is 17 ._.

Should be great fun! I've noticed other people who seem to be getting these admissions day invites are 21+? I hope I'm not the only one who is 17 ._.

Yeah, I've applied to Computer Science with a year in industry :smile:

I'm 22 years old... what's your problem with older students? :P
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Guy from t'North
Yeah, I've applied to Computer Science with a year in industry :smile:

I'm 22 years old... what's your problem with older students? :P

You're all 90s kids!
(edited 9 years ago)
I got this email about a week ago, also for Computer Science (I'm 17 btw as it seems you don't like older people :wink:). I emailed them asking them if this meant I had got an offer, they replied saying that this doesn't necessarily mean you have got an offer. I believe it isn't essential to attend but I am attending anyway. Not entirely sure what to wear? Don't want to go too smart (smart shirt, smart trousers) or like smart-casual (smart-ish shirt, dark jeans)?
Reply 9
Original post by simpletech668
I got this email about a week ago, also for Computer Science (I'm 17 btw as it seems you don't like older people :wink:). I emailed them asking them if this meant I had got an offer, they replied saying that this doesn't necessarily mean you have got an offer. I believe it isn't essential to attend but I am attending anyway. Not entirely sure what to wear? Don't want to go too smart (smart shirt, smart trousers) or like smart-casual (smart-ish shirt, dark jeans)?

I don't mind older students, it's just a bit of um banter? #:cool:

Go in whatever you would usually wear at a weekend, jeans and a shirt!
Original post by simpletech668

Smart casual!
Bring a coat... I made the mistake of not wearing one for my admissions day and I was freezing when we went on the tour of the campus!
Reply 11
So... who's going to this tomorrow?
Reply 12
How can I get myself on one of these admissions days? Does every course do it? I have an offer but no admissions day thing...
Reply 13
Original post by JoshZ
How can I get myself on one of these admissions days? Does every course do it? I have an offer but no admissions day thing...

Computer Science is the only one I know about :frown:

No youre not the only one but yes you're a minority.
Reply 15
Original post by NerdyMeg
No youre not the only one but yes you're a minority.

Hm do a lot of people do gap years then or something?
Reply 16
Well... that was a fun day. Dat interview. What did people talk about in their interviews?

Also, loved the 'icebreaker' group I was with, none of us talked to each other. CompSci stereotypes are too true! I was in group D, while I still remember, anyone else in that?

Finally - Gl to everyone waiting for offers next week!
(edited 9 years ago)
Hm do a lot of people do gap years then or something?

I dont think so. Well it actually depends on the person.
Well... that was a fun day. Dat interview. What did people talk about in their interviews?

Also, loved the 'icebreaker' group I was with, none of us talked to each other. CompSci stereotypes are too true! I was in group D, while I still remember, anyone else in that?

Finally - Gl to everyone waiting for offers next week!

The interview was nowhere near as bad as I thought it was going to be, it was just a relaxed chat really.

I was in group F and apart from me and another guy nobody else would talk to each other or the student ambassadors!

I really hope they hurry up with these offers... I want to firm Newcastle! (assuming they let me in...)
Reply 19
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending