The Student Room Group

TSR PhotoSoc (and post your gear thread)

Scroll to see replies

Final meet though :sad:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by greeneyedgirl
Final meet though :sad:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know :erm: This one should be really good though, so we'll have to make sure it's extra awesome :h:

(the other guys in this thread are going to be really confused if they don't know what "meet" is referring to, when they come back to the thread :ahee:)
I'm only confused about the 'final meet' thing - any of you moving to the Moon soon? And you've got no idea about all the snow in Namibia - saw a cheetah chasing down a springbok on skis. What a sight!
Original post by Sir Fox
I'm only confused about the 'final meet' thing - any of you moving to the Moon soon? And you've got no idea about all the snow in Namibia - saw a cheetah chasing down a springbok on skis. What a sight!

Nobody's moving, but we're talking about the annual moderator meets and GEG's stepping down after this one.

Sounds amazing :tongue:
Original post by Sir Fox

Ha ha no not the moon. Just real world job and all the tax paying jazz etc.

We will indeed make it extra awesome.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 385
And there I was thinking you two were dating!

May be going camping in Dorset this week, unfortunately the forecast is for enough rain to defeat even the biggest of Noah's arks. Anyone got a waterproof camera I can borrow? :tongue:
Original post by dhr90
Anyone got a waterproof camera I can borrow? :tongue:

Sorry, I need my K3 :tongue: It's not technically 'waterproof', but I have rinsed it off under the shower, so I guess it would take the rain.
Reply 387
Original post by Sir Fox
Sorry, I need my K3 :tongue: It's not technically 'waterproof', but I have rinsed it off under the shower, so I guess it would take the rain.

So is my 7D. But the forecast suggests something good under 10m or so of water :frown: (I realise digitalrev have shown the 7D to be bulletproof, but I'm not sure I'd risk that with my own camera!) Campsite has already cancelled a bunch of people due to water logging but we have begged them to find space for us. I may end up finding a hotel for myself tbh.

Beer, pizza and an evening with lightroom :biggrin:
Original post by dhr90

May be going camping in Dorset this week, unfortunately the forecast is for enough rain to defeat even the biggest of Noah's arks. Anyone got a waterproof camera I can borrow? :tongue:

Nope, just good friends :smile:

Your weather sealed gear would stand up better than mine (well my 70D is weather sealed but I don't have any sealed lenses) :ahee:

Original post by dhr90
So is my 7D. But the forecast suggests something good under 10m or so of water :frown: (I realise digitalrev have shown the 7D to be bulletproof, but I'm not sure I'd risk that with my own camera!) Campsite has already cancelled a bunch of people due to water logging but we have begged them to find space for us. I may end up finding a hotel for myself tbh.

Beer, pizza and an evening with lightroom :biggrin:

I quite like camping, I hate camping in the rain. Sucks that you've got so much rain predicted :erm: Maybe pick up a waterproof cover off Amazon in case you decide to go out shooting in the rain?
Reply 389
Awesome. We never did have a TSR Photo Soc meet up...

I love the reassurance of weather sealing, although I do try to avoid the weather. The amount of rain forecast on monday means my camera won't see the light of day! I will likely go on tuesday and let my parents suffer on their own for a couple of days :ninja:
Original post by dhr90

Like you I've got a 7D. Although my 1100D did get totally drenched when I went to iguasu falls and it and the lens survived. There was a scary moment when thought had killed it...but actually had just slightly unscrewed the lens hence inability to focus lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 391
Original post by greeneyedgirl
Like you I've got a 7D. Although my 1100D did get totally drenched when I went to iguasu falls and it and the lens survived. There was a scary moment when thought had killed it...but actually had just slightly unscrewed the lens hence inability to focus lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh god, things like that, or your camera strap suddenly going light because the camera is supported on something else really make the bottom fall out of my stomach!
Original post by dhr90
Oh god, things like that, or your camera strap suddenly going light because the camera is supported on something else really make the bottom fall out of my stomach!

Yep there was so much fear. Especially as we were only half way through our month of travelling...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anybody been out photographing tonight's moon? I was out for an hour or so trying to shoot it but the digital magnification of my 70D proved virtually useless once the moon started approaching total eclipse, so I've had to trust in the lens' AF and hope for the best. I'll probably give editing them a go tomorrow when I'm a little less sleep deprived :ahee:
I stood outside my front door and took a few photos with my 75-300 mm telephoto zoom. The results were really disappointing. There wasn't enough light coming from the moon to see anything without really turning up the ISO and increasing exposure time. At 1/25 seconds at full zoom (f/5.4) I can only just hold the camera steady enough to get a non-blurred shot and with ISO at 6400 there was too much noise. I *could* have gone back inside to fetch my tripod but I wasn't too bothered.

I did, however, take these shots a few weeks back during a meteor shower. Annoyingly in between one of the shots a meteor appeared in my field of view immediately after I said "I'll do the next exposure in a minute" to my friend as it wasn't properly dark yet.

There seems to be quite a lot of compression on the first one - it's a lot better when viewing the original rather than an upload!
Original post by Manitude
I stood outside my front door and took a few photos with my 75-300 mm telephoto zoom. The results were really disappointing. There wasn't enough light coming from the moon to see anything without really turning up the ISO and increasing exposure time. At 1/25 seconds at full zoom (f/5.4) I can only just hold the camera steady enough to get a non-blurred shot and with ISO at 6400 there was too much noise. I *could* have gone back inside to fetch my tripod but I wasn't too bothered.

I did, however, take these shots a few weeks back during a meteor shower. Annoyingly in between one of the shots a meteor appeared in my field of view immediately after I said "I'll do the next exposure in a minute" to my friend as it wasn't properly dark yet.

Nice shots :yy:

I wasn't able to get anything particularly great in the end, all my shots were either a little too soft or have too much noise by the time I'd brought the exposure up in post. This was probably the best one I got after a quick bit of editing, although I may spend some more time later trying to get something better out of the low ISO shots I took.

Blood by Adam Higgs, on Flickr
Thanks - that one you did is rather better than anything I got! I *might* have been able to get something like that with extended exposure so I can lower the ISO but I suspect that the lens quality isn't up to getting sharp images at full zoom.
My flatmate and I wanted to watch it from the roof, and a friend wanted to come over to take pictures. We all set our alarm to 3:15 am, but I only fell asleep shortly before 3, so when the alarm went I thought "SCREW this!", and just turned around. Next morning I wanted to apologise to my friend, but he had done exactly the same. My insomniac flatmate who didn't sleep the whole night said the moon was never clearly visible, always behind clouds, so it seems I didn't even miss anything :colone:
Reply 398
I've finally gotten around to finishing going through photos from the most recent airshow I went to. Here is a few I'm happy with :smile:

RAF Red Arrows by Matt, on Flickr

RAF Red Arrows by Matt, on Flickr

3. Not sure I have ever seen so many Spitfires in one formation. It was an amazing sight and noise!

Spitfire formation by Matt, on Flickr

B17 - Sally B by Matt, on Flickr

5. Not planes, Just a shot I took of a farmers field between displays.

Cornfield by Matt, on Flickr
Original post by dhr90
I've finally gotten around to finishing going through photos from the most recent airshow I went to. Here is a few I'm happy with :smile:

Particularly like the first one - well done!

I went out to the Highlands again on Sunday and snapped a couple of pictures in Glencoe. The second one is a great example of how to screw up an otherwise really nice image - it's a panorama of two images shot handheld (I don't carry my big tripod into the mountains, and others would be annoyed waiting for me anyway). The right half was shot at 1/25th sec., the left one at 1/15th sec. Left one clearly shows very low contrast and sharpness, probably due to motion blur. I really liked that picture for its lighting and dramatic clouds, but I ruined it with a rookie mistake :banghead: :mad2:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending