The Student Room Group

TSR PhotoSoc (and post your gear thread)

Scroll to see replies

I took out 100 Swiss Franc in early January - in any normal country the ATM would spit out something along the lines of 50, 20, 20, 10, or 20, 20, 20, 20, 10, 10. Not in Switzerland, no, it gave me one shiny new 100 Franc note, as if to imply that no one would bother getting out anything less anyway :colone:
Original post by Sir Fox
I took out 100 Swiss Franc in early January - in any normal country the ATM would spit out something along the lines of 50, 20, 20, 10, or 20, 20, 20, 20, 10, 10. Not in Switzerland, no, it gave me one shiny new 100 Franc note, as if to imply that no one would bother getting out anything less anyway :colone:

That sounds about right, since 20 fr gets you nothing! I got a round of four drinks in the pub in Bern and it cost me more than the three course Michelin star lunch I had in London the day before.
Reply 582
I can imagine that being a shock!
Hey is anyone here into mobile photography? :smile:
Reply 584
Original post by StrawbAri
Hey is anyone here into mobile photography? :smile:

I'm sure we all use our phones to take photos at times. I find mine perfect for a spur of the moment shot of my niece!
Original post by dhr90
I'm sure we all use our phones to take photos at times. I find mine perfect for a spur of the moment shot of my niece!

Aha I asked becasue there's a large community online with people that believe mobile photography is on the same level with (and probably better than) photography with DSLRs
Reply 586
Aha I asked becasue there's a large community online with people that believe mobile photography is on the same level with (and probably better than) photography with DSLRs

Better than? Elaborate?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RobML
Better than? Elaborate?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Never said it was my opinion :tongue:
I just wanted to see if the Iphoneography craze had gotten to Tsr too.
(edited 8 years ago)

Well, that's total nonsense then. It is true that modern phones have cameras with amazing image quality and it is actually possible to take decent enough images with them, but they are still trashed by DSLRs by a wide margin on every single aspect but portability.

As above, that's pretty much nonsense. Smartphone cameras are really great these days, but to say it is at the "same level" as DSLRs indicates a painful misunderstanding of photography. From a technical perspective it's not even remotely feasible for a smartphone to be as good or better than a DSLR-calibre camera, from an artistic perspective it's entirely down to the person holding the camera or phone at the time, but DSLRs have infinitely more flexibility and functionality to achieve any artistic vision while smartphones are very restricted in their capabilities in comparison.
Original post by Sir Fox
Well, that's total nonsense then. It is true that modern phones have cameras with amazing image quality and it is actually possible to take decent enough images with them, but they are still trashed by DSLRs by a wide margin on every single aspect but portability.

I don't know if it's quite that cut and dry, the usability of a phone camera is arguably greater for someone not interested in understanding the more technical side of photography. There's also additional functionality, such as instantly uploading or editing a photo.

That said, if I'm taking a photo I care about I'll use my EOS 70D or EOS M. I was surprised at how well some photos I took on my iPhone 6S came out though.
On an unrelated note, has anyone tried any aerial photography? Any tips?
Original post by CurlyBen
I don't know if it's quite that cut and dry, the usability of a phone camera is arguably greater for someone not interested in understanding the more technical side of photography.

I'm currently out in Switzerland with a friend who's brought her eight year old DSLR that she never learned to use to begin with. She's only ever shot in auto and still favours it over her phone, but her eyes lit up when I showed her what could be a achieved with a basic long exposure and other rudimentary manual processes, now today is becoming a teaching day :yep:
Reply 593
On an unrelated note, has anyone tried any aerial photography? Any tips?

Shooting birds/planes from the ground? Or shooting the ground from a plane/balloon/glider?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh I don't doubt that at all, but she must have some interest in photography. For every one person like her, there are probably two or three who just want to be able to snap a picture of the beach/club/friend and capture a memory. Creativity might extend to applying a filter on Instagram... but that's about the limit of their ambition. There's nothing wrong with that, but I'd suggest that for that kind of thing a phone is a better device than a dSLR. Not least of which because the best camera for a situation is always going to be the one you've got with you!

Original post by dhr90
Shooting birds/planes from the ground? Or shooting the ground from a plane/balloon/glider?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The latter - from helicopters specifically
I generally agree with you but... I was reading the blog of a fairly popular photographer and he mentioned that he hardly ever uses his DSLR anymore and he finds himself using his iPhone for everything :lol:

Anyway, I really want to get an entry level DSLR but they're all so expensive. :eek: I've been using my phone and point and shoot cameras for a while now and would really like to get serious with photography.
Any recommendations?

I was surprised at how well some photos I took on my iPhone 6S came out though.

You'd be even more surprised at the amazing compositions some of the Iphoneography bloggers come out with using just an iPhone 4s/5s.
It's amazing what some people can do with just a bit of creativity and very good photo editing skills :lol:
Reply 596

The latter - from helicopters specifically

If they have some sort of open window/flap bit for cameras, use it. Otherwise you're liable to get reflections of the interior of the chopper in the glass. Aside from that, fast shutter speed and IS would be useful I expect.

I generally agree with you but... I was reading the blog of a fairly popular photographer and he mentioned that he hardly ever uses his DSLR anymore and he finds himself using his iPhone for everything :lol:

Anyway, I really want to get an entry level DSLR but they're all so expensive. :eek: I've been using my phone and point and shoot cameras for a while now and would really like to get serious with photography.
Any recommendations?

You'd be even more surprised at the amazing compositions some of the Iphoneography bloggers come out with using just an iPhone 4s/5s.
It's amazing what some people can do with just a bit of creativity and very good photo editing skills :lol:

It depends what is being shot though really, try taking photos for motorsport, birds in flight, air shows and you're going to end up with a zoomed in blurry mess or a zoomed out spec in the sky! OR no spec at all if you haven't been able to compensate for shutter lag. A cameraphone will never replace the ability to zoom on a DSLR in my opinion.

Do you have a budget?
Original post by dhr90
If they have some sort of open window/flap bit for cameras, use it. Otherwise you're liable to get reflections of the interior of the chopper in the glass. Aside from that, fast shutter speed and IS would be useful I expect.

It depends what is being shot though really, try taking photos for motorsport, birds in flight, air shows and you're going to end up with a zoomed in blurry mess or a zoomed out spec in the sky! OR no spec at all if you haven't been able to compensate for shutter lag. A cameraphone will never replace the ability to zoom on a DSLR in my opinion.

Do you have a budget?

Yeah you're right that's a huge disadvantage :sadnod:
And digital zoom just reduces the image quality.
Though I have been able to take a picture of a bird in flight with my iPhone. It was just a bit of luck really.

Anything under £500 really :redface:
Reply 598
Yeah you're right that's a huge disadvantage :sadnod:
And digital zoom just reduces the image quality.
Though I have been able to take a picture of a bird in flight with my iPhone. It was just a bit of luck really.

Anything under £500 really :redface:

https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/used-equipment/used-photo-and-video/used-compact-system-cameras/used-sony-compact-system-cameras/sony-alpha-nex-7/sku-605772/
+
http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-sony-18-55mm-f3-5-5-6-oss-lens/p1520698
Original post by dhr90

An added bonus of flying somewhere warm is we generally don't have the doors on, so windows aren't an issue :biggrin: Only had one chance to use a camera airborne though, and that was my EOS M - unfortunately the light was too bright to really see the screen and there's no viewfinder!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending