The Student Room Group

I like him so much but he says he doesn't want a relationship.

Scroll to see replies

Honestly, she has put herself in quite a predicament. And my only reply is SOME boys are stupid, therefore, do stupid things which will gain the likes of attracting them :smile:
Reply 21
sounds almost exactly how me and my partner were. all the characteristics of a relationship without the title. thank god she went on with it and carried on pestering me (looking back i have no idea why, i was a total dick and i am so lucky she did continue with it), we have since travelled the world together, she got me to go to university and are very happy ever after!

cant say this will be the same for your situation. hope it works out though..
Reply 22
I was the other side of this - and yes sounds like he's been honest. The game changer for me was when my now partner said he'd had enough and needed to stay away from me. I was distraught and just went for it.

Maybe that will happen with him? Can't predict but the fright of losing someone I was fond of made me confront my insecurity and try what was right there rather than hoping "something better" would come along.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anonymous
I haven't known him too long but we've spent numerous hours talking and getting to know each other. He seems like a genuinely nice person which makes a change because I usually like all the ones that are dicks.

We've kissed and done other stuff and agreed that it would be a one time thing (never went all the way though.) He asked me if I had feelings for him and I denied it so he said ''good'' so I questioned why it would be a good thing and he said because he didn't want a relationship. My heart sunk and he noticed because he asked me if I was okay and I brushed it off and was like yeah why wouldn't I be. Anyway he asked me again later on and I said I did a little bit. When we're together he's always hugging me and when we lay together we cuddle and hold hands. He was even willing to spend £25 to come with me somewhere if I wanted to (how sweet?!) I catch him looking at me a lot too but the only people I've seen give me this look are people that I've been with. He said he was confused about his feelings with someone but never mentioned if that person was me or not. I really want to ask but at the same time I'm scared to hear the answer because he makes me feel so happy when I'm around him and when he's gone I miss him.

Does it sound like he likes me? Should I see if it really was just a two time thing (yes a two time thing even though we agreed a one time thing the week before) by waiting it out and see if it happens again or just try and get over him and move on?

Sounds like a player, who wants to be "just a little bit pregnant". " I will go out with you, how sweet, and we'll have something, but it's one time thing, but then, maybe not, I am confused". Don't get involved, you'll get hurt.
Original post by Mimir
I was the other side of this - and yes sounds like he's been honest. The game changer for me was when my now partner said he'd had enough and needed to stay away from me. I was distraught and just went for it.

Maybe that will happen with him? Can't predict but the fright of losing someone I was fond of made me confront my insecurity and try what was right there rather than hoping "something better" would come along.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So you ended up together?

Original post by namename
Sounds like a player, who wants to be "just a little bit pregnant". " I will go out with you, how sweet, and we'll have something, but it's one time thing, but then, maybe not, I am confused". Don't get involved, you'll get hurt.

What does being pregnant have to do with anything?

It's an expression, "he/she wants to be a little bit pregnant", meaning, to sit on two chairs at once, to have the best from the both situations and never do anything in return, not committing fully, because you can't be "just a little bit pregnant", you are either are, or not. Applies to both males and females.
Original post by Rock Fan
If you like someone that much surely it is better to be honest, doesn't matter who makes a move surely?
Of course it does, if you want to end up with "but I didn't want anything, it was you who made the first move and I went with the flow", especially after being warned about not wanting to have a relationship.
Sometimes people like the feeling of being with someone, but don't want a relationship. I was like this after I'd broken up with my ex, and I made it explicitly clear to the guy I didn't want a relationship, he said that was fine and he didn't either. Later it transpired he expected more to come from it, just when I sort of lost interest in the whole thing...

If he changes his mind, then great, but if he doesn't, you can't get too annoyed or upset. He's told you he doesn't want it, therefore that's what you've got to go with. Either accept it and enjoy it while it lasts, or cut your losses and move on.
Reply 28

We did and we, but your chappy sounds a bit more childish than I...

And being 'a little bit pregnant' is essentially saying someone wants something they can't have. Can you face being a couple but not quite? There comes a point you need to look for fulfillment for yourself.
Original post by Mimir
We did and we, but your chappy sounds a bit more childish than I...

And being 'a little bit pregnant' is essentially saying someone wants something they can't have. Can you face being a couple but not quite? There comes a point you need to look for fulfillment for yourself.

Yeah maybe he is, more grown up than others his age though.

For now I could as long as I knew how he felt.
Throwing a flat party in my flat and inviting him in hopes he will show up and I can spend more time with him!
Original post by snailsareslimy
Later it transpired he expected more to come from it, just when I sort of lost interest in the whole thing...

Do you think if you'd had a bit of a longer break after your ex things could have transpired differently with that second guy?
I haven't known him too long but we've spent numerous hours talking and getting to know each other. He seems like a genuinely nice person which makes a change because I usually like all the ones that are dicks.

We've kissed and done other stuff and agreed that it would be a one time thing (never went all the way though.) He asked me if I had feelings for him and I denied it so he said ''good'' so I questioned why it would be a good thing and he said because he didn't want a relationship. My heart sunk and he noticed because he asked me if I was okay and I brushed it off and was like yeah why wouldn't I be. Anyway he asked me again later on and I said I did a little bit. When we're together he's always hugging me and when we lay together we cuddle and hold hands. He was even willing to spend £25 to come with me somewhere if I wanted to (how sweet?!) I catch him looking at me a lot too but the only people I've seen give me this look are people that I've been with. He said he was confused about his feelings with someone but never mentioned if that person was me or not. I really want to ask but at the same time I'm scared to hear the answer because he makes me feel so happy when I'm around him and when he's gone I miss him.

Does it sound like he likes me? Should I see if it really was just a two time thing (yes a two time thing even though we agreed a one time thing the week before) by waiting it out and see if it happens again or just try and get over him and move on?

Ask him! :biggrin:

You'll regret it if you don't :cookie:
Original post by MarleyZ
Ask him! :biggrin:

You'll regret it if you don't :cookie:

I'm going to. I know I will regret it if I don't,
I'm going to. I know I will regret it if I don't,

:smile: xo
From past experience, if he's not drunk and whatever when he's doing stuff/being nice to you then he likes you...

now he either is
a. enjoying the thrill of having you trying to chase for him (or can sense that you like him, but likes that you're trying)
b. genuinely isn't sure what he wants

but in my opinion he does like you, speaking from past experiences.

good luck
Original post by Philosoraptor
Do you think if you'd had a bit of a longer break after your ex things could have transpired differently with that second guy?

No, because it transpired that he was pretty childish and immature, which is what I was trying to avoid. However, I've now been with my boyfriend a month and I wasn't even that sure with him if I wanted to take it further, but we both liked each other, it felt right, so it just happened.

I guess it just depends on who it is and the circumstances :smile:
Reply 37
Look this might be harsh to say, but the guy has already said to you that he isn't looking for a relationship. I think you should just believe his words and move on. He has already spared you a lot of heartache and time by being upfront and honest to you. In that sense, he is a good guy. Just because he likes to cuddle and hold hands with you that doesn't mean anything more. He has told you that he doesn't want to have the commitment of a relationship. If you have bigger expectations you are potentially going to get hurt.

I don't understand why some girls think that even when a guy say he isn't interested in a relationship that he might be confused or that by showing him how brilliant a girl you are he might change his mind. I think you should personally tell him that it seems you both want different things and so it'd be best to part ways to not overcomplicated matters. See how he responds to that, it may push him into making the next step, but don't chase after him, don't wait around and don't coerce him into changing his mind.
Reply 38

Everyone around you want to sleep with you just to satisfy their horniness. There's nothing like true love in real therefore all relationships are bound to end soon. And spending £25 for you.. Come on, I can spend £50 just for a good friend.

I'm sorry if you find my reply offensive or unhelpful but this is the truth.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 39
Original post by Emily.97
If he doesn't want to be in a relationship, I don't understand why he's being that affectionate with you. Surely he would know how that would make you feel, and the thoughts it would bring in to your mind, and the fact that its misleading?

Well, I am perhaps too cynical, but I think that he wants a **** buddy and knows OP is more likely to put out if she has feelings for him in the hope of "making him have feelings for her". DO NOT GO THERE OP. Tell him you want a relationship. If he doesn't, then stop the cuddling.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending