The Student Room Group

Does anyone else find feeding themselves a grossly miserable experience?

I went through uni mainly on microwave and takeaway meals but now I work and work out and so try and eat healthily and save some money.

I find feeding myself a grossly miserable and time consuming experience. I'm supposed to eat a certain amount of calories, proteins, fats etc per day. But I rarely eat well. I often run out of things to eat, or the things left I have no appetite for because I've already eaten it consecutively at every meal for the past 5 days. So quite often I walk around the supermarket desperately trying to find something good value and not crap to eat. Today, I spent over an hour driving to two supermarkets and back trying to see if there was anything in either that took my fancy and I was starving before then so I didn't even go to the gym. I can't really cook either, so it's difficult to find something I can reasonably do without it tasting totally ****.

Soylent Green seems to be a godsend, but it's not available in the UK yet and it's still quite expensive.

I also found a website, which gives you a meal plan and how to cook them and you can filter by calories and macro nutrients. Or you can take a 2000kcl meal plan and say make every portion 1.5x bigger. I'm thinking something like that would be helpful in cutting down the massive amount of time and mental energy I waste every day trying to decide what to eat, and you can do the entire weeks shopping in one go and list everything on an Excel sheet.

Haven'ted tried the above website yet, but if you know something better, please do pip up.

If you're wondering how I managed to stay alive, well I used to live with my parents and they cooked.
(edited 9 years ago)
Do you have a freezer?

A freezer is a godsend. Get loads of microwaveable plastic tubs from Poundland, and spend a day cooking massive meals - curry is a good one, or ratatouille, or Shepherds' Pie, or anything you can literally just microwave.

You have to keep an eye on the health and safety aspect (I've never poisoned myself yet), but they can be pretty nutritious, and you can plan weeks in advance without thinking about it. Supplement with Porridge / cereal for breakfast, and sandwiches or soup (soup is good for nutrition) for lunch, and fruit during the day, and you have a pretty health, easy diet. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
I thought for years that eating healthily was misery and expensive and in the past year or so I've discovered that not to be the case. I'm eating like 7 different veg and fruit every day these days and loving it. I do the same thing of just having the same thing every night, this week I'm having:

made with 100 ml milk, 10g margerine, 1 onion, 1 green pepper, a bunch of broccoli & cauliflower and a few cloves of garlic, all in one pan for a few minutes, piece of piss. That's a pile of delicious food for less than 2 quid.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Octohedral
Do you have a freezer?

A freezer is a godsend. Get loads of microwaveable plastic tubs from Poundland, and spend a day cooking massive meals - curry is a good one, or ratatouille, or Shepherds' Pie, or anything you can literally just microwave.

You have to keep an eye on the health and safety aspect (I've never poisoned myself yet), but they can be pretty nutritious, and you can plan weeks in advance without thinking about it. Supplement with Porridge / cereal for breakfast, and sandwiches or soup (soup is good for nutrition) for lunch, and fruit during the day, and you have a pretty health, easy diet. :smile:

Yeah I have a freezer. I can't cook any of the things you've just mentioned. cooking for me is microwaving something, flipping things over twice in a frying pan, boiling something to a timer, opening a tin with a tin opener and putting things in the oven to a timer.
Original post by thisistheend
Yeah I have a freezer. I can't cook any of the things you've just mentioned. cooking for me is microwaving something, flipping things over twice in a frying pan, boiling something to a timer, opening a tin with a tin opener and putting things in the oven to a timer.

Well learn then. It's not like currys, chillis, shepards pie, spag Bol, fajitas etc are hard to cook. Cook 3-4 times as much as you can eat. Freeze it into portions. Jobs a good'un!

Pasta carbonara is always a good easy cool or runs pasta bake.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Loat
Massive batches and the freezer. You only have to cook once a week, and yet there's always a choice when you get in from work. For even more ease, buy a slow cooker.

Planning is the key here.

do you have a link to a good weekly recipe that i can follow like a bible? just knowing i have to do something like that still doesn't get me there. i wrote my thesis on the metaphysical possibilities of time travel but i just cannot deal with these little things.

Quick Reply

Latest