The Student Room Group

How do you cope with online insults?

I think we've all had them, but I'm wondering how others cope with them? For example when you voice an idea with good intentions with nothing insulting a group, individual or whatever and then someone appears insulting you and basically implying that you are nothing but scum to that community.

I recognise that a lot of people don't know how to criticise without getting personal and a lot of times I can laugh it off and brush things off, but I have to admit at times there are some criticisms that really sting. Being able to brush off some insults and criticisms isn't exactly my strong point. I feel as though the internet is a very cruel place, with Tumblr being the most accepting place IMO. How do you deal with online criticism and insults?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think you have to try to ignore the insults and base it on their insecurities :tongue:
Reply 2
I feel nothing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I never get insulted online.

*Is barraged with insults*
Not really bothered by it. The internet is not real life, I don't really take online insults seriously. If anything facing the wrath of keyboard warriors is a badge of honour.

I did get endless insults on another popular forum when I was about 13 or 14, I reported everything and stopped going on there. Back then I took it a bit too seriously and I was bothered by it, but I guess that was just an age thing.
Reply 5
Original post by RFowler
Not really bothered by it. The internet is not real life, I don't really take online insults seriously. If anything facing the wrath of keyboard warriors is a badge of honour.

I did get endless insults on another popular forum when I was about 13 or 14, I reported everything and stopped going on there. Back then I took it a bit too seriously and I was bothered by it, but I guess that was just an age thing.

I suppose so. Unless people are being racist, sexist, insulting individuals, etc, then it is a bade of honour. People getting shook up and pissed off because 'you dared challenge the ideas and opinions of the community'. It shows how volatile these people can be.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Pretty badly, tbh. Especially if the insult corresponds to a pre-existing insecurity.
i do nothing because i'm use to it but feel sorry for the person throwing the insults
I curl up in a ball and gently cry myself to sleep. Why you no like meh Internetz? :frown:
Ignore it or retort.
Reply 10
Original post by PecurringRattern
Pretty badly, tbh. Especially if the insult corresponds to a pre-existing insecurity.

That's what I hate about the internet. Everyone is a psychologist and thinks they have huge knowledge of mental health (usually just go straight to the conclusion that you are 'butthurt' or a 'hater')

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by datpiff
That's what I hate about the internet. Everyone is a psychologist and thinks they have huge knowledge of mental health (usually just go straight to the conclusion that you are 'butthurt' or a 'hater')

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you can't handle it, don't post on the internet.

Don't take it personally.
Reply 12
Original post by pjm600
If you can't handle it, don't post on the internet.

Don't take it personally.

That's why I think mods are incredibly important. I used to hate mods and think they were pains in the ass, but they are important in ensuring the site doesn't turn into 4Chan

Posted from TSR Mobile
I can insult them back
Usually I can shrug it off and move on, however if I'm in a bad mood I can get VERY angry and often get myself into e-trouble, lol.
It depends if they're justified or not. When people just hurl abuse for no reason then I couldn't care less, if I've been a bit of an idiot and there's actually some substance to it then I might feel a bit bad.
I'd hate to say 'just ignore it' because it's easier said than done. People can be real idiots sometimes, it's amazing how a computer screen increases one's bravery!
I used to get quite hurt sometimes by some peoples remarks but now not so much. I just remind myself they don't really know me so have no true basis on which to judge me and they are most likely just trolling or looking for an argument.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Depends. Online insults only hurt from people who I know somewhat personally.

And usually because they've hit upon an insecurity. I just stop myself before going on a downward cycle of low self esteem thoughts.
Reply 19
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
I'd hate to say 'just ignore it' because it's easier said than done. People can be real idiots sometimes, it's amazing how a computer screen increases one's bravery!

I agree! I think 'idiot' also means failing to realise that its human beings who write posts and human beings have feelings and emotions. People don't realise what impact their online content has. It's easy to say the internet isn't real life but it's human beings interacting with each other so how do we define reality?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest