The Student Room Group

Being the first in the family to attend uni..

My parents are not originally from this country and have not studied past secondary school and my older sister chose not to continue with further education after a month or two in college..
Throughout my family my older cousins have also had no experience of university, most of them also dropping out of college..
As silly as it may sound I am considered the 'smart' one of our family :colondollar:..

Progressing to secondary school & college was easy because I always had someone to comfort me and inform me about what to expect, but I cant say the same for uni. It makes it more difficult knowing that my entire family is watching and waiting on my progress, the same way my younger cousins are all waiting for me to set an example!
I'm already starting to feel the pressure and anxiety building up and I'm not sure how to deal with it..

I was wondering if anyone is or has been in similar situations and could give me some advice? :s-smilie:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by esraakdag
My parents are not originally from this country and have not studied past secondary school and my older sister chose not to continue with further education after a month or two in college..
Throughout my family my older cousins have also had no experience of university, most of them also dropping out of college..
As silly as it may sound I am considered the 'smart' one of our family :colondollar:..

Progressing to secondary school & college was easy because I always had someone to comfort me and inform me about what to expect, but I cant say the same for uni. It makes it more difficult knowing that my entire family is watching and waiting on my progress, the same way my younger cousins are all waiting for me to set an example!
I'm already starting to feel the pressure and anxiety building up and I'm not sure how to deal with it..

I was wondering if anyone is or has been in similar situations and could give me some advice? :s-smilie:

I'll be the second person in my house to go to university and my parents are like yours. It doesn't sound silly at all, it is quite a real and sometimes quite scary situation to be in because you don't who to turn to for help/advice.

My sister loved her time at uni so I don't think you should worry all that much about it. As long as you're sensible you'll be alright. I'm actually quite looking forward to it :smile:. Just take it easy, relax and tackle one thing at a time just like you've done till now, at first it might seem surreal/hectic. But Remember once you're at uni, everyone is in a similar situation - it's all quite new and liberating for most and so that fact that you are the first to go to uni might not even cross your mind whilst you're there.

Regarding the pressure and stress, I know what that's like and how awful it can be. If your family are supportive then you should just be open about things with them, tell them you're slightly anxious about it all, they may not have been, but they can still offer advice, after all they might notice things that can help you that you might not have.
I'm the first person in my immediate family to go to university, however my father's side of the family are quite close so it doesn't feel that way. (Auntie and both cousins have gone to uni on dad's side, only my grandmother on my mum's side).

Nobody really knows what I'm talking about when I mention grades, I have to put it through a translator (my auntie) for my grandmother and dad to be wow'd by the grades haha. I have to reassure them about my sister's grades.

I don't have that much pressure, but they do expect me to do well. They're very supportive though. :smile:
Reply 3

I'm not considered the smart one, my sister is but she didn't get into medicine and now I go to the better university so maybe I am the smart one now. I would just take things one at a time, at the end of the day they don't know what your going through.

My dad always says anything less that 100% is bad but I'm still happy with the firsts and 2.1's I'm getting.
Reply 4
Original post by Ki Yung Na
I'll be the second person in my house to go to university and my parents are like yours. It doesn't sound silly at all, it is quite a real and sometimes quite scary situation to be in because you don't who to turn to for help/advice.

My sister loved her time at uni so I don't think you should worry all that much about it. As long as you're sensible you'll be alright. I'm actually quite looking forward to it :smile:. Just take it easy, relax and tackle one thing at a time just like you've done till now, at first it might seem surreal/hectic. But Remember once you're at uni, everyone is in a similar situation - it's all quite new and liberating for most and so that fact that you are the first to go to uni might not even cross your mind whilst you're there.

Regarding the pressure and stress, I know what that's like and how awful it can be. If your family are supportive then you should just be open about things with them, tell them you're slightly anxious about it all, they may not have been, but they can still offer advice, after all they might notice things that can help you that you might not have.

I'm also really looking forward to going to university, in fact ive become quite impatient and just want to get sixth form over and done with!
But as ive mentioned before, alongside this I felt like the stress and pressure would become unbearable.. however, after your reply I have felt much more prepared with the thought that I probably wont be the only one in this situation and honestly I agree with your advice that I just need to relaxxx!

My family are also definitely supportive and if the stress carries on I will consider talking to someone about it :smile:

I guess the only thing left to do now is to work hard and get the grades needed to go to my preferred university...

Good luck and thank you for your advice :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Roving Fish
I'm the first person in my immediate family to go to university, however my father's side of the family are quite close so it doesn't feel that way. (Auntie and both cousins have gone to uni on dad's side, only my grandmother on my mum's side).

Nobody really knows what I'm talking about when I mention grades, I have to put it through a translator (my auntie) for my grandmother and dad to be wow'd by the grades haha. I have to reassure them about my sister's grades.

I don't have that much pressure, but they do expect me to do well. They're very supportive though. :smile:

ha ha! I feel exactly the same way about mentioning my grades and having to translate them for anyone in my family to understand that I'm actually doing quite well! But at least they manage to get it in the end :biggrin:

Although my family are also supportive I havent tried to talk to anyone about it because I dont want to let anybody down and show them that I am being 'weak' as I feel like i'm usually expected just to do well and be fine anyway .. But if the situation gets any worse I defo will be talking to my parents about this :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Tbx
I'm not considered the smart one, my sister is but she didn't get into medicine and now I go to the better university so maybe I am the smart one now. I would just take things one at a time, at the end of the day they don't know what your going through.

My dad always says anything less that 100% is bad but I'm still happy with the firsts and 2.1's I'm getting.

My dad also says things like that which is quite annoying, but I try not to take it seriously because like you've said they have noo idea what i'm going through as they have no experience of this level of study. This is why I cant really blame them because even if they tried I know they will never fully understand what its like.. so I just need to take it slow or one at a time as you've said.. :smile: Thank you.
Reply 7
I was the first person in my extended family to go to uni - my mum didn't do any education past school, and my dad went to college to be a mechanic. All my aunts, uncles and grandparents followed roughly the same path as my parents. I am an only child with cousins who are all younger than me, except for one who was born on the same day as me (he is technically older by a few hours, lol!). He went to uni at the same time as me, so the focus wasn't just on me, which probably helped, although my family didn't put any pressure on me at all.

I was obviously nervous because I really had no idea what to expect. To be honest though, pretty much everyone is nervous when they go off to uni, even if they have others in the family who have been to uni. You are still venturing off on your own, meeting new people and learning how to live as an adult!
I understand your position I'm the first to attend uni in my family too and am considered as the smart one. Scary, no?
I was in this position too! I am in 1st year of an engineering degree. However, I do not believe it makes any difference whether or not your parents went to uni or not, you're still in the same situation as everyone else - though maybe have some extra pride for getting this far! :biggrin:
Reply 10
Original post by emmalgale
I was the first person in my extended family to go to uni - my mum didn't do any education past school, and my dad went to college to be a mechanic. All my aunts, uncles and grandparents followed roughly the same path as my parents. I am an only child with cousins who are all younger than me, except for one who was born on the same day as me (he is technically older by a few hours, lol!). He went to uni at the same time as me, so the focus wasn't just on me, which probably helped, although my family didn't put any pressure on me at all.

I was obviously nervous because I really had no idea what to expect. To be honest though, pretty much everyone is nervous when they go off to uni, even if they have others in the family who have been to uni. You are still venturing off on your own, meeting new people and learning how to live as an adult!

My cousin may also be starting uni at the same time as me which is a good thing as it can take the limelight off of me, however it is quiute unlikely that she will get in this year for some personal reasons...

I definitely agree that you dont have to be in this situation to feel nervous but its just like having extra reasons to be extra nervous.. and its another thing going to a uni that none of my friends are going to... I guess I need to focus more ob the idea that its clearly a big step for everyone so its normal for me to feel this way :smile: Thanks
Reply 11
Original post by Safiya122
I understand your position I'm the first to attend uni in my family too and am considered as the smart one. Scary, no?

Very scary, which is why ive struggled with coping with the whole idea! How are you finding it?
Very scary, which is why ive struggled with coping with the whole idea! How are you finding it?

Well I finally got my own laptop cos of it haha, wbu?
Reply 13
Original post by chrisdefish
I was in this position too! I am in 1st year of an engineering degree. However, I do not believe it makes any difference whether or not your parents went to uni or not, you're still in the same situation as everyone else - though maybe have some extra pride for getting this far! :biggrin:

I must admit I do feel prideful but prideful alongside the stress of letting anyone down..

Was it difficult to meet people when you first started because ill also being going to a uni where none of my friends have applied.,
Reply 14
Original post by Safiya122
Well I finally got my own laptop cos of it haha, wbu?

I havent got to the pampering stage yet lol :biggrin: Just verry excited now
Was it difficult to meet people when you first started because ill also being going to a uni where none of my friends have applied.,

The vast majority of people won't have any of their friends at uni with them. Even if they do have friends there already, there is a high chance they won't be living together. It isn't that difficult to meet people - just make sure you are sociable in your halls (buy a door stop - a great way for people to know you are open to chatting when you are in your room). I didn't really get on with anyone in my halls, but I made friends on my course and through societies.
Reply 16
The vast majority of people won't have any of their friends at uni with them. Even if they do have friends there already, there is a high chance they won't be living together. It isn't that difficult to meet people - just make sure you are sociable in your halls (buy a door stop - a great way for people to know you are open to chatting when you are in your room). I didn't really get on with anyone in my halls, but I made friends on my course and through societies.

Unfortunatly I am not moving out, which makes it even more difficult to meet people..
I'm also quite shy, so much that I dont approach people and wont talk to anyone unless they approach me :?
Unfortunatly I am not moving out, which makes it even more difficult to meet people..
I'm also quite shy, so much that I dont approach people and wont talk to anyone unless they approach me :?

Maybe uni is the perfect time to try and get over the shyness a bit. You really won't get far never talking to anyone unless they talk to you first! As you aren't moving out, you will need to try a bit harder to make friends. Join some societies - that is the best way to find like minded people. I found it hard in the first few weeks of uni because I am not someone who enjoys going out partying, so it can be hard initially to find others of a similar mindset.
Reply 18
Maybe uni is the perfect time to try and get over the shyness a bit. You really won't get far never talking to anyone unless they talk to you first! As you aren't moving out, you will need to try a bit harder to make friends. Join some societies - that is the best way to find like minded people. I found it hard in the first few weeks of uni because I am not someone who enjoys going out partying, so it can be hard initially to find others of a similar mindset.

I am definintly willing to take uni as a chance to get over my shyness as this is something I have wanted to do for a veryyyyyy long time :smile: I guess youre right and I'll need to take that step and maybe join some societies too, Ill defo take these into consideration!

Thank you :smile:

I must admit I do feel prideful but prideful alongside the stress of letting anyone down..

Nope, not really. There's everyone on your course, people from societies, and if you're moving out, then flatmates (although, I commute). Most people are going to be quite friendly, and some going as far as to be desperate to make friends. Honestly, you'll be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending