The Student Room Group

OCR Core 3 integrating "e" question

Hi, I'm doing a 3 part question, and I've done the first two parts fine. This had led me to a (confirmed correct) question:

Show that between a and 0 the integral of (2 -e^(-x) -x)dx =1 +a -0.5a^2.

I did:

integrate the equation: [2x + e^-x -0.5x^2](a_0)

Sub in values of x: [2a + e^-a -0.5a^2]-[0+e^0 -0]

Which gave me: 2a + e^-a -0.5a^2 -1.

Clearly, this must have gone wrong at some point, since it barely even has any resemblance to
1 +a -0.5a^2. Could I possibly have some help?

(Apologies, I tried to use LaTeX, but it spat out a lot of code for colours and things I couldn't fix :frown: )
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Azurefeline
Hi, I'm doing a 3 part question, and I've done the first two parts fine. This had led me to a (confirmed correct) question:

Show that between a and 0 the integral of (2 -e^(x) -x)dx =1 +a -0.5a^2.

I did:

Clearly, this must have gone wrong at some point, since it barely even has any resemblance to

(Apologies, I tried to use LaTeX, but it spat out a lot of code for colours and things I couldn't fix :frown: )

post a photo of your workings so we can tell you if we can see where you have gone wrong
Reply 2

Show that between a and 0 the integral of (2 -e^(x) -x)dx =1 +a -0.5a^2.

I did:

CAn you post a picture of the original question?

You're not going to get the answer shown by integrating that function because as you've spotted you need an e^a or e^-a somewhere (not sure if you are integrating e^x or e^-x!)
Reply 3
Original post by TeeEm
post a photo of your workings so we can tell you if we can see where you have gone wrong

Original post by davros
CAn you post a picture of the original question?

You're not going to get the answer shown by integrating that function because as you've spotted you need an e^a or e^-a somewhere (not sure if you are integrating e^x or e^-x!)
(Sorry, I can't type! I've edited my question.

Reply 4
(Sorry, I can't type! I've edited my question.

I can't see how that is true in general - unless there is an earlier part to the question where you showed that a satisfies some other equation which you can use to get rid of the exponential term you get when integrating!
Reply 5
Original post by davros
I can't see how that is true in general - unless there is an earlier part to the question where you showed that a satisfies some other equation which you can use to get rid of the exponential term you get when integrating!

Ok, maybe it isn't just me then. This is the full question: Question 12. What do you think?
Answers are

a) 2 -e^-a = a
b) the integral at the start of my working.
Sub in 2-a for e^-a
Reply 7
Original post by Super199
Sub in 2-a for e^-a

:eek:

Oh yeah! I'm so dumb sometimes. wow. Thank you so much

Quick Reply

Latest