The Student Room Group

Do people think I am gay?

I started a new job and on my first day was speaking to my buddy by sitting next to him. I then had a brief conversation with my buddys colleague sitting next to me. It was then 5pm when work finished. I was going in the elevator with my buddy's colleague and there was a girl who smiled at me but I did not smile back as I just blanked her.

Subsequently I then hit the gym where my buddy's colleague was also working out. I was pushing weights at the front of the gym by the mirror however moved back due to shyness to the back of the gym and I could see my colleagues buddy watching me in the corner of his eye.

I also was going to the toilet whereby he came out the next toilet and then I turned back and pretended to wash my hands.

Does he think I am gay?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Saqua
I was going in the elevator with my buddy's colleague and there was a girl who smiled at me but I did not smile back as I just blanked her.

Well aren't you polite.
Reply 2
Your thread title and post content do not follow.
Original post by Harvey Dent
Well aren't you polite.

What else can I do? I cannot get into a relationship with a girl due to my religion and expectation of arranged marriage. I did not even realise she was smiling at me.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ilem
Your thread title and post content do not follow.

Hi I have made changes to the post, hope it follows now.
Original post by Saqua
I started a new job and on my first day was speaking to my buddy by sitting next to him. I then had a brief conversation with my buddys colleague sitting next to me. It was then 5pm when work finished. I was going in the elevator with my buddy's colleague and there was a girl who smiled at me but I did not smile back as I just blanked her.

Subsequently I then hit the gym where my buddy's colleague was also working out. I was pushing weights at the front of the gym by the mirror however moved back due to shyness to the back of the gym and I could see my colleagues buddy watching me in the corner of his eye.

I also was going to the toilet whereby he came out the next toilet and then I turned back and pretended to wash my hands.

Does he think I am gay?

Meh. Join the club - but for me I reckon it's more that I get on with girls quite well, and because my accent isn't the same as the people in my town it's "gay" :biggrin:

(Also,not giving a ****, that I like Taylor Swift. Hell yeah I like her :biggrin: )

So.. yeah

From what you described, it doesnt look like people are calling you gay??
Original post by The_Internet
Meh. Join the club - but for me I reckon it's more that I get on with girls quite well, and because my accent isn't the same as the people in my town it's "gay" :biggrin:

(Also,not giving a ****, that I like Taylor Swift. Hell yeah I like her :biggrin: )

So.. yeah

From what you described, it doesnt look like people are calling you gay??

No they're not calling me gay but surely they would base opinions on whether I am gay.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Saqua
What else can I do? I cannot get into a relationship with a girl due to my religion and expectation of arranged marriage.

You could, I dunno, smile back at her?? It's called "Common Courtesy", I hear it was all the rage back in the day.
It doesn't sound like it. Perhaps he swings that way, and just thinks you're nice to look at. Take it as a compliment!
You could, I dunno, smile back at her?? It's called "Common Courtesy", I hear it was all the rage back in the day.

What do you mean by rage back in the day?
Original post by Saqua
No they're not calling me gay but surely they would base opinions on whether I am gay.

SO what if they do? If they do, screw em (But not literally ofc!!)
Original post by Saqua

I believe he was being sarcastic. Anyway, it's my view that you're over-thinking it. Plus, who cares?
I'm a little bit self conscious as I have 0 friends so that's why I over think things too much.
Original post by High Stakes
I believe he was being sarcastic. Anyway, it's my view that you're over-thinking it. Plus, who cares?

Me but I have come to the realisation not everybody is going to have the perfect opinion of you.
Original post by Saqua
Me but I have come to the realisation not everybody is going to have the perfect opinion of you.

I think we all need to come to this realisation. You can't stop people from thinking negatively of you, but you can stop caring about their opinions. I think someone once said: "what other people think of me, is none of my business".

It's understandable if you're shy and insecure, but trust me, you have to build your confidence and your character. Get out there, and meet new people. And those that you appreciate, and in return appreciate you - are your friends. :smile:
No offence but that was really difficult to read.
Original post by Saqua

It means that it used to be widely-used.
The basic message is this: You shouldn't ignore people who are friendly towards you. You don't have to bone her just because she smiled at you, but it is rude not to return the gesture. Instead of worrying about people misreading your sexuality, I'd be more worried about people thinking you're a dick to your colleagues.
Original post by High Stakes
I think we all need to come to this realisation. You can't stop people from thinking negatively of you, but you can stop caring about their opinions. I think someone once said: "what other people think of me, is none of my business".

It's understandable if you're shy and insecure, but trust me, you have to build your confidence and your character. Get out there, and meet new people. And those that you appreciate, and in return appreciate you - are your friends. :smile:

Thanks for the advice really appreciate it because it is difficult for me to get people's perspective due to having 0 friends.
It means that it used to be widely-used.
The basic message is this: You shouldn't ignore people who are friendly towards you. You don't have to bone her just because she smiled at you, but it is rude not to return the gesture. Instead of worrying about people misreading your sexuality, I'd be more worried about people thinking you're a dick to your colleagues.

Understood thanks would like your post but can't as have reached my maximum likes today.
Reply 19
Original post by Saqua

Yeah, but even if you personally aren't gay, there's nothing wrong with people being gay...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending