The Student Room Group

Is I/GCSE Russian possible through Distance-Learning?

Hello there!

I would love to be fluent in both Russian and Spanish in the future. Last year I took on an IGCSE in Spanish in November through distance learning and sat the exams in May and I achieved an A grade which I was more than happy about because I had no prior knowledge of Spanish.

And so this year.. (or next by the looks of things) I would love to take on a GCSE in Russian because I'm very interested in the culture and would love to know more about the country and learn the language too. But I've had no luck in finding any course providers online. I am from Northern Ireland and there is only one college (which I know of) that offer Russian as a subject, but it's not an accredited course. I would like an accredited course.

I would appreciate any help you guys could give me!
Thanks!!
I don't think distance learning places would offer a Russian distance learning course because, for the exam, you have to learn a whole new alphabet as well as the new language. For example, have a look at this GCSE past reading and writing paper from edexcel:

http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/QP%20Current%20GCSE/June%202010%20-%20QP/5RU03_01_que_20100618.pdf

If you haven't done French or German yet, they would be easier as, like English, they use the Latin alphabet.

I've looked in the past for distance learning (I)GCSE Spanish and can I ask what company did you do your course with?

Good luck!
You could find tutors online which would help you - 1 on 1 tuition on such a complex language is best, IMO.

I took Russian last year (I'm native ahaha) and got A* yay :biggrin:
Reply 3
Sorry about my late response guys!

Thanks for your help! Woahh that past paper looks complicated. I guess that must be why they don't offer it because like you said it's a completely new alphabet and would take longer to learn.

I think I may just take some non-accredited courses or an online tutor. Elliwhi which companies do you use for that? Well done on the Native-ness haha!

Orangeee22 I used this site http://www.ool.co.uk/subject/international-gcse-spanish/

To be honest on first glance the website didn't seem very professional/high-quality to me but they had good reviews hence why I went with them and I would definitely recommend them as opposed with any other company. The materials were easy to follow and you have a skype tutor who marks your work and helps you practice speaking.
Original post by orangeee22
x

Just incase you didn't get tagged^^^

Original post by Lee Belfast
x

UM... You can literally just type in Russian Tutors UK, and there will be a list of tutors. And also you can refine the search to find tutors near you :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest