The Student Room Group

A-level choices...

Basically I am going back to college to do my A-levels (I'm 19) and I have three in mind that I want to do and was wondering if people could maybe give me an idea of what they're like to study first hand-Psychology, English Lit and Law.Also I'm thinking of doing a Law degree and read that A-level law does not matter at all for this, is that true? Lastly, suggestions for a fourth as level would be great, one thats fun and relevant.Thanks
I'm in my second year of A levels studying english lit and psychology, they're both amazing subjects! I've decided during A level to study english at uni. English is a lot of work, but it's so useful and it can be approached from so many different angles.
Psychology is fascinating, in the first year you broadly cover all areas of psychology, and in the second year there are less topics but in more detail. I'm finding the second year a lot more interesting than the first, but I've enjoyed both a lot.
I've also heard that Law is not actually necessary for doing Law at uni, but obviously I haven't done a lot of research because I don't want to study it myself - it might be worth contacting some universities?
As for another subject, maybe something like maths or a science to balance your other subjects?

Hope this helps a little, good luck with your application! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
I do English Lit, I'm in my second year and honestly for me I think it depends on your teacher, my first year was AMAZING, I totally loved it, but now I have a new teacher and I'm not too sure.
About the course itself, it's quite interesting and it's taught me so much about other cultures and issues, such as feminism and conflict in the East. It's extremely useful for writing in other subjects, I can work to deadlines more efficiently, and I now know how to correctly lay out a critical essay and footnote properly.
I've found it easier to pick up marks in coursework and the exam that my other subjects and theres much more variety due to the wide range of reading you have to do, last year I studied Pride and Prejudice, The Duchess of Malfi, Othello, The Yellow Wallpaper and lots of unseen poems, this year I've been looking at The Go Between, A Doll's House, 100 Anti-war poems, The Kite Runner and again unseen poems on a number of topics.

As for fourth subjects, I'd suggest business as that can be really fun and would link in with psychology and law, but also has elements which English would help with. With Law at A Level/Uni, I've actually heard that they prefer if you don't do it/They don't particularly care if you do as you're learning new things anyway.

Good luck(:

Quick Reply

Latest