The Student Room Group

Filming for Media Coursework

Hello! I am filming a TV show opening for my media coursework which would be the first time I have done something like this. It would be shown on E4, features a female and starts with the character running through the woods. Can anyone offer any tips on making it realistic and entertaining. What would you like to see in a drama/fantasy? Please help! Thanks in advance :smile:
In terms of tips for your work, make sure you plan roughly three filming sessions, each with editing in between them. That way, you won't find yourself short of That One Scene that you really actually quite wanted.
Make sure you have more than one take of each scene.
Film the same scene in a couple of different ways, just in case something looks better.
Make sure you have a rough idea of what you want to do before you start the filming session
Have a contingency plan in case something goes wrong over your filming session

When editing, try to stick to a similar colour palette/style in order to make it look as natural as possible.
Reply 2
Thanks much, I'm sure I can use most of those tips. Except the separate filming sessions as my actors are only available once. Everything else is great though, I will get as much footage as possible in case there are certain clips I don't like. Thank you:smile:
Reply 3
Make sure you plan! And keep as close to the brief as possible - that's where mine went wrong last year haha.
Have 2/3 angles for each shot so you can do effective and interesting editing later on.
DO NOT FILM ON A PHONE, people in my class were marked down for this last year, apparently the quality/actual shape of the picture affected their work.

Oh and if you're doing print/e-media platform work too, which I think you probably would as I think you have to do 2 of the 3? Then you must keep your work as close to the "house style" of the research you've looked at, e.g. this year mine is meant to look like a Cosmopolitan magazine so I've tried to use exact fonts, colours, vocabulary and formats.

Good luck, media is such a heavy subject and so much effort goes into coursework so I hope it all goes well for you:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest