The Student Room Group

Next import cheap Polish workers for Xmas jobs before even advertising them in the UK

Scroll to see replies

Why don't companies give the option for native workers to accept the lower level of wages that they will be offering to migrants?
Personally I see no issue with this, these are warehouse jobs that the Polish will gladly take as they actually understand the value of hard work despite the apparent low (to us) wages. I'd hire anyone that would do the job for minimum wage, it just so happens that they're Polish.
Not sure where all this Brits are lazy has come from. It's utter bs.
Original post by DErasmus

Try spending some time in industry and you'll realise
Original post by MatureStudent36
Try spending some time in industry and you'll realise

Your opinions on everything from climate change to politics in general are ludicrous so i'm not trusting your distorted experiences in industry.
Your opinions on everything from climate change to politics in general are ludicrous so i'm not trusting your distorted experiences in industry.

Have I hit a nerve?

ok then. Here's some empirical evidence.

UK productivity levels. 100.4

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/united-kingdom/productivity

Polish productivity levels. 128.7

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/poland/productivity

conclusion. Polish workers are more effective than British workers.

now, building on that, I also added my personal experience of managing both British and Polish workers. Poles work better than local labour.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Jammy Duel
Only reason is that a Tory peer is at the top of Next, consequently the Mirror will insist that he alone is responsible for this coz dirty tory

Wolfson isn't just any old Tory peer - he's a major donor to the party and a backbone of Cameron's policy formation and political schemes.

All rather gives the lie to the Big Tory Plan to control EU migration doesn't it?
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Wolfson isn't just any old Tory peer - he's a major donor to the party and a backbone of Cameron's policy formation and political schemes.

All rather gives the lie to the Big Tory Plan to control EU migration doesn't it?

But it' still very much "big nasty tory is near the top, they alone are responsible for all bad things that happen coz we're the mirror"
Original post by Ace123
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/next-christmas-jobs-offered-polish-4709994

Next have been found to be importing Polish workers from Poland to fill their Christmas jobs before the jobs were ven advertised in the UK & this is in an area of very high unemployment. Tory Peer who runs Next has imported 7,000 Polish workers by the bus load.

Thoughts?

Well even if that's true, they're not under an obligation to hire local people...
Original post by silverbolt
hes taking british jobs from the immigrants in britain derp derp

least its not a daily mail link

Are you going to reply to his point, or just act an idiot?

Well- do you think its a good idea more British people are kept on benefits?
Original post by Alfissti
Absolutely nothing wrong with this.

Most who are unemployed tend to be unemployable scum and there is absolutely nothing worse than giving these scumbags a job at a busy time of the year only to find they either can't hack it or don't bother showing up with the latter being the norm.

Original post by MatureStudent36
Business already realises that there's huge difficulties employing the unemployed. In most cases people are financially better off on benefits.

Save the hassle and get people who will want to work

X,000 extra people means extra demand on housing, extra demand on the NHS, if they bring family with them, extra demand on schools.....

Need I continue?

Oh and their minimum wage jobs wont be contributing enough tax to fund the above before I hear that comeback! Plus even if they did- I don't want the countryside resembling lewisham just to have more Polish here!
Original post by democracyforum
I hate to say I agree.

Most unemployed people, not all, just some, are unemployable. I personally believe there is a massive under-diagnosis of mental illness in the unemployed, but that's a different subject.

What we need to really do is show these people tolerance, respect, and show them that work will actually mean something.

As someone who has spoken to many unemployed people, they seem to think every job is "boring", "depressing" or they live in a depressing environment/home that makes them feel work is pointless, or they feel overwhelmed by society and tax and bills etc. They want to be "appreciated" for the work, instead of ignored, which is how they feel.

You can laugh at that, but that's how some unemployed people think.

And I have to agree, some work is pointless. What we need are jobs where people would say
" I am proud I contributed to that".

Lowering tax and raising the minimum wage for big companies, is the solution. Many small companies cannot pay above minimum wage, which is understandable.

Bet they'd soon work/change their views if they had no food on the table.....
Original post by Jemner01
If it's an option of hard-working employees that accept minimum wage or less hard-working employees that are less likely to accept minimum wage, it makes sense to employ the former group and not the latter.

Employees who are desperate over employees who stand up for their rights?

Sounds like a good deal for the company. So is paying no tax. Can't blame them, but that doesn't mean it's ethical, or shouldn't be frowned upon or stopped.
Original post by Smack
Why don't companies give the option for native workers to accept the lower level of wages that they will be offering to migrants?

Well that would be the ethical thing to do.

People wouldn't be interested in that though, they're far more interested in pushing the 'Brits are lazy' agenda.

Anti-British, self-loathing idiots.

I think it's come from the fact that workers here expect a decent standard of living. They feel more 'entitled' to things like not starving.

Take someone from an 18th century cotton mill, and tell them they can have weekends and evenings off, regular breaks, a pension, a union, and enough money to live in their own, clean, room, and they will bite your hand off and probably be your best worker. Take a modern British worker and give them the same, and they might also ask for enough money to feed their two children and buy a few luxuries. Apparently this translates as 'being lazy'.

They get attacked from both sides. The Polish workers think the British are entitled because they already have better conditions than the Polish, and the head of Next thinks the British are entitled because there's someone else more desperate.

The reason this story is unethical is that it's impossible to uphold living standards and rights for British workers when there's competition from people so desperate they don't care about rights. There will always be people worse off in the world - that doesn't mean our base line should be lowered to theirs.
Original post by billydisco
Are you going to reply to his point, or just act an idiot?

Well- do you think its a good idea more British people are kept on benefits?

It's entirely up to the people themselves if they want to get "free money" rather than accept a job and end up financially worse-off.

X,000 extra people means extra demand on housing, extra demand on the NHS, if they bring family with them, extra demand on schools.....

Need I continue?

Oh and their minimum wage jobs wont be contributing enough tax to fund the above before I hear that comeback! Plus even if they did- I don't want the countryside resembling lewisham just to have more Polish here!

The first point you make is undeniably true. Yes immigration will put more demand on social infrastructure where supply is already being tested. If you want to blame someone, blame those who have the power to stop immigration. Blame those who spend tens, if not hundreds of billions of pounds of public TAXPAYER MONEY on covering for the losses of the financial sector. What the poles cost the people is a fraction compared to the con-game of 2008.

The poles aren't here to take your jobs, they're here to make a quick and decent amount of money (more than they would in Poland for these types of jobs) for themselves and their families.

Also with regards to your comment to democracyforum, you seem like quite a sick and sadistic kind of person if you're willing to cut another's bread.
Original post by 6Jesus6Christ6
It's entirely up to the people themselves if they want to get "free money" rather than accept a job and end up financially worse-off.

The first point you make is undeniably true. Yes immigration will put more demand on social infrastructure where supply is already being tested. If you want to blame someone, blame those who have the power to stop immigration. Blame those who spend tens, if not hundreds of billions of pounds of public TAXPAYER MONEY on covering for the losses of the financial sector. What the poles cost the people is a fraction compared to the con-game of 2008.

The poles aren't here to take your jobs, they're here to make a quick and decent amount of money (more than they would in Poland for these types of jobs) for themselves and their families.

Soooooooo I was correct- immigrants coming here will cost the taxpayer in terms of increased public services spending and demand on housing? :rolleyes:

Original post by 6Jesus6Christ6
Also with regards to your comment to democracyforum, you seem like quite a sick and sadistic kind of person if you're willing to cut another's bread.

Do you not even see the problem you are justifying?

You keep inviting more immigrants in to this country and you will increase the number of British people kept on the benefits "heap". How is this any good for our country? The best thing for our country is 100% employment. So if we have jobs available- it would be better for Britain these jobs went to people on benefits, which would reduce the benefits bill and the anti-social problems these scum cause.

Otherwise, the population of the underclass will keep increasing, which means social security will keep increasing and crime will keep increasing.

Oh and what did you get from this? The ability to smile that you admitted some Polish people? :rolleyes:
Original post by Octohedral
Employees who are desperate over employees who stand up for their rights?

Sounds like a good deal for the company. So is paying no tax. Can't blame them, but that doesn't mean it's ethical, or shouldn't be frowned upon or stopped.

I didn't say less than minimum wage, I said less likely to accept minimum wage. The right to minimum wage (the actual min wage being another issue entirely) isn't what I'm arguing for. The fact that harder workers than will work for cheaper (as in, min wage and not above min wage) are being imported by companies is beneficial to the company. I can see the problems that might arise with increasing the population by importing workers whilst not employing the already unemployed. But i can't blame the business for their initiative- I'd do the same.

Need I continue?

Couldn't agree more.

But when you have X million pond life sucking from the tit of public expenditure you do what you can do and then import the labour you need
Soooooooo I was correct- immigrants coming here will cost the taxpayer in terms of increased public services spending and demand on housing? :rolleyes:

It's not about being correct. It's about being truthful. Please learn the difference and I promise you, your life will skyrocket to new highs.

Do you not even see the problem you are justifying?

You keep inviting more immigrants in to this country and you will increase the number of British people kept on the benefits "heap". How is this any good for our country? The best thing for our country is 100% employment. So if we have jobs available- it would be better for Britain these jobs went to people on benefits, which would reduce the benefits bill and the anti-social problems these scum cause.

Otherwise, the population of the underclass will keep increasing, which means social security will keep increasing and crime will keep increasing.

Oh and what did you get from this? The ability to smile that you admitted some Polish people? :rolleyes:

I'm not justifying anything, I'm simply stating what is and isn't true.

Again, you didn't respond to the question of WHICH ENTITY allows unlimited immigration. You would rather blame powerless people over the British government, which again confirms you for a sadist and an authority worshipper.

You may be correct in saying 100% employment is the best thing for Britain, but what happens when everyone is employed and there is literally no one to take on? Businesses will need immigrants to make up the numbers.

And while you herald 100% employment as a figure to be strived for, you must also consider that you cannot force people into work. As I said, which you failed to address, why should Johnny English give up his benefits to take on a job which will leave him financially worse off? Where's the incentive to get employed if he's getting money from the government to sit around and pretend to look for jobs? And the solution is not to simply "cut the benefits", since that would result in huge civil unrest.

What do you believe the reasons are for the increasing numbers of the "Underclass"?

Please don't allow yourself to be divided for petty reasons. We can all see the problems, perhaps we disagree on the solutions, but we should be centred in the most logical and truthful way to resolve these problems rather than let our love for having our opinions regurgitated to us over-ride striving to see reality clearly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending