The Student Room Group

Tesco Festive Christmas seasonal job

Hello,
I got the offer of a festive job within a tesco extra, i have my induction on saturday. Any tips on what to do, to increase my luck of getting a permanent position?
I’m balancing it out with college.
Edit: My contract ends on boxing day.

Thanks.
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 1
@Tracey_W incase you can help since i seen you in prior forums.
Reply 2
Original post by Josh0001
Hello,
I got the offer of a festive job within a tesco extra, i have my induction on saturday. Any tips on what to do, to increase my luck of getting a permanent position?

Thanks.

@Josh0001 what did you put on the application to get an offer, I didn’t realise it would be so hard 😭 Like lots of work experience ? Or CV tips? Maybe they just don’t hire 17 year olds ???
Also congrats on the offer 👏
Reply 3
Original post by CCharisse
@Josh0001 what did you put on the application to get an offer, I didn’t realise it would be so hard 😭 Like lots of work experience ? Or CV tips? Maybe they just don’t hire 17 year olds ???

I got a reference from a staff members that worked there, I am 18.
Thank you, it is a big store so they needed a ton of staff.
Reply 4

I just had a look and there is quite few 17 year olds that work here. They do hire 17 year olds, so my advice would just be keep reapplying and try to get into a temporary/seasonal job.
Reply 5

F.Y.Information Tesco employs people from the age of 16 but they do have age 18 restrictions for certain departments.
Although majority of jobs that are advertised states 18 they do not exempt anyone from age of 16 unless it's a particular job for those over 18.
Reply 6
Hello,

Thanks.

Hello Josh 😊😊
Congratulations for getting a job with Tesco.

So the best advice I can give you for a good opportunity to be offered either a extension contract or permanent job offer is :-
1) always be prompt on arriving for your shift starting time - arrive in plenty of time to give yourself a opportunity to perhaps have a cuppa before you start work.

2) always do whatever you are asked to do and avoid perhaps moaning too much about why was something not done prior to you doing it 😞 ( sometimes there's reasons why it was not done - perhaps those who should have done it was called away to do something else as more important).

3) do your best to get on with other staff and of you have any concerns about other colleagues not doing there work and asking you to do it then you should say no and discuss it with your immediate supervisor or team leader and if not satisfy with there response then there's always the on duty manager. Don't tackle them and get yourself in trouble okay.

4) unfortunately with the job only being temporary there's always the risk of you not being kept on after the contract end date but if you show everyone ( team leader, your department supervisor) how good a worker you are then hopefully they will put a word in with the manager about you so that when hopefully you have a review meeting ( roughly a week before your contract finishes) with the manager they will go through everything with you and say to you that they are offering you a extension of another month or two or permanent position. Each store has allocations for some of the temporary Xmas staff to be offered a permanent contract while some will be offered a extension and rest are told sorry 😔 you been let go.
With you working with a big store then there's a good opportunity you could get a permanent job because they are increasing the amount of permanent staff over the coming months so just make sure that you are doing everything as requested and don't take any sick time of as that will go against you.

In the meantime I'll suggest you keep looking at the available job vacancies in the store you are working in and apply nearer time of your contract ending hoping you will get something from either one.

I know that the store I'm in are hoping to keep on around 50 - 75% of the temporary Xmas staff with permanent positions with rest getting a extension of few months before being released 😔.
Reply 7
Original post by Tracey_W
Hello Josh 😊😊
Congratulations for getting a job with Tesco.

So the best advice I can give you for a good opportunity to be offered either a extension contract or permanent job offer is :-
1) always be prompt on arriving for your shift starting time - arrive in plenty of time to give yourself a opportunity to perhaps have a cuppa before you start work.

2) always do whatever you are asked to do and avoid perhaps moaning too much about why was something not done prior to you doing it 😞 ( sometimes there's reasons why it was not done - perhaps those who should have done it was called away to do something else as more important).

3) do your best to get on with other staff and of you have any concerns about other colleagues not doing there work and asking you to do it then you should say no and discuss it with your immediate supervisor or team leader and if not satisfy with there response then there's always the on duty manager. Don't tackle them and get yourself in trouble okay.

4) unfortunately with the job only being temporary there's always the risk of you not being kept on after the contract end date but if you show everyone ( team leader, your department supervisor) how good a worker you are then hopefully they will put a word in with the manager about you so that when hopefully you have a review meeting ( roughly a week before your contract finishes) with the manager they will go through everything with you and say to you that they are offering you a extension of another month or two or permanent position. Each store has allocations for some of the temporary Xmas staff to be offered a permanent contract while some will be offered a extension and rest are told sorry 😔 you been let go.
With you working with a big store then there's a good opportunity you could get a permanent job because they are increasing the amount of permanent staff over the coming months so just make sure that you are doing everything as requested and don't take any sick time of as that will go against you.

In the meantime I'll suggest you keep looking at the available job vacancies in the store you are working in and apply nearer time of your contract ending hoping you will get something from either one.

I know that the store I'm in are hoping to keep on around 50 - 75% of the temporary Xmas staff with permanent positions with rest getting a extension of few months before being released 😔.

Thank you so much for taking the time for such a long response, I'll try my best. Do you know when you get the Tesco shift login details to the app? Would it be a week after your first shift or straight after induction?
Reply 8
Hello,

Thanks.

For your induction this weekend
You will be doing all the necessary paperwork that is required ( Bank details, national insurance, right to work documents, doing your uniform ordering, watching videos about health and safety, also video about the history of how Tesco came to how they are now) and possible do something on the shop floor.

Balancing your college work with working with Tesco - if possible you should have applied for working weekends only to allow you during the week for your college work.
But if you have to do shifts after finishing college then watch what hours you are given.
Reply 9
Thank you so much for taking the time for such a long response, I'll try my best. Do you know when you get the Tesco shift login details to the app? Would it be a week after your first shift or straight after induction?

You are welcome and wasn't any problem okay responding.

Yes that's all you can do is your best.

Usually you won't get that details until you receive your first pay ( next pay day is about 8th December)as you'll need your payroll number plus active email address but you can ask them on Saturday if they are able to give you that information but I don't think so.
Reply 10
Original post by Tracey_W
You are welcome and wasn't any problem okay responding.

Yes that's all you can do is your best.

Usually you won't get that details until you receive your first pay ( next pay day is about 8th December)as you'll need your payroll number plus active email address but you can ask them on Saturday if they are able to give you that information but I don't think so.

Understood, thanks a lot.

Do you think we will have uniform since we are just temporary and on tills? Someone mentioned wearing Christmas jumpers, but wondering what you think?
Reply 11
Understood, thanks a lot.

Do you think we will have uniform since we are just temporary and on tills? Someone mentioned wearing Christmas jumpers, but wondering what you think?

Hi

You might be given the normal uniform even if you are temporary staff but like you said you might also get the Xmas t-shirts and a jumper instead and you won't know until you are given whatever it is when you start.

Each individual store managers has there own opinion on what uniforms staff should wear.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending