The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

online or not online?

I am considering doing these courses next year:
An Introduction to the Humanities & Ouverture - A Fresh Start in French. Both are offered as online courses or just as "regular" courses.

Which would you recommend? Online or regular? What are *you* personally doing? (It doesn't need to be in these subject areas!) Do you think you get better tuition by going to the face-to-face tutorials?
dreamheavy
I am considering doing these courses next year:
An Introduction to the Humanities & Ouverture - A Fresh Start in French. Both are offered as online courses or just as "regular" courses.

Which would you recommend? Online or regular? What are *you* personally doing? (It doesn't need to be in these subject areas!) Do you think you get better tuition by going to the face-to-face tutorials?

It's down to personal preference imo dreamheavy - I'm assuming for A103 you mean there's an option to go for online tutorials? If your other commitments mean you'd find it hard to attend face-to-face tutorials (or you prefer not to for any reason) then the online option would be a good one. I'm in my second year with the OU (studying 120 points) and tbh I haven't bothered with many tutorials so far, but then I like getting on with it by myself! Your tutor will be contactable by email/phone if you need guidance, and there are social opportunities via FirstClass (the OU conferencing system) or through OUSA.

Regarding the French course, this is a different matter. The OU use software called "Lyceum" for language students taking the online option - it's a virtual classroom as far as I understand it. My instinct would be to opt for face-to-face tutorials for a language because practice is so important but I started beginners' spanish last year (face-to-face option) and tutorials were only once a month :eek:

In my opinion that's just not enough interaction for a beginners language course! I dropped the course (wasn't keen on the materials either) but you may well find the online option is better for giving more plentiful interaction opportunities.

To end on a positive note - I'm hugely enjoying studying with the OU and would recommend it to anyone :smile:
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
I didn't do my course online, but sometimes wish I had because you can send your assignments electronically, which may give you an extra day or two. Good if you're like me and leave it til the last minute!

Latest