The Student Room Group

Choosing A levels

Hey,
I'm in year 11 and am taking my a level options. I know that I want to do maths, geography and chemistry but not sure whether to take further maths or physics. I am thinking about a geography or natural sciences degree for when I leave school, so not sure which subject would be more helpful. Any ideas?
Physics would probably come in more handy, but it's really whether you prefer maths or the application of it (a good judge of it is whether you prefer algebra or geometry, as geometry is more mathematical application, whereas algebra is straight maths)
Reply 2
Thanks I think physics might be the better option as it's different but I do prefer maths :dontknow:. I'm also not sure as I don't know how hard physics will be

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Through friends, I get the impression that physics is much easier than further maths
Reply 4
Original post by Student232
Hey,
I'm in year 11 and am taking my a level options. I know that I want to do maths, geography and chemistry but not sure whether to take further maths or physics. I am thinking about a geography or natural sciences degree for when I leave school, so not sure which subject would be more helpful. Any ideas?

I would definitely take physics because its really important if you want to study natural sciences. Also further maths is more typically taken as a 5th as-level because it is not as well respected... :smile:
same options as me, stick with the Maths Chem Physics and Geog, i hope (defo) gonna take them next year
Reply 6
Original post by Imsophie
I would definitely take physics because its really important if you want to study natural sciences. Also further maths is more typically taken as a 5th as-level because it is not as well respected... :smile:

Further Maths isn't respected? :confused: Might want to rethink that one.
(edited 9 years ago)
Thanks I think physics might be the better option as it's different but I do prefer maths :dontknow:. I'm also not sure as I don't know how hard physics will be

Posted from TSR Mobile

People can only speak from experience. I found AS Physics much harder than I am currently finding AS FM, but then the fact I'm taking AS FM alongside my A2's will skew my view on them both.

You could always take five and make the decision in Year 12? Or you could see if you are able to do what I am and take AS FM in Year 13?
Reply 8
Hey,

For natural sciences you're best off taking Chem, maths, physics and further maths

If you're unsure you could take something like chem maths physics and geography meaning you could go for either when you make up your mind
Reply 9
My school only let us do 4 a levels so need to choose between them but I might be able to change in the first term if I don't like what I choose

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by GitFace93
same options as me, stick with the Maths Chem Physics and Geog, i hope (defo) gonna take them next year

Cool I think that's what im going to do but not sure as I have heard physics is hard at a level :s-smilie:
Reply 11
Original post by TajwarC
For natural sciences you're best off taking Chem, maths, physics and further maths

If you're unsure you could take something like chem maths physics and geography meaning you could go for either when you make up your mind

I like geography so I think I will go with chem maths physics and geography but i like maths so don't know whether further maths would be better than physics
Don't pick geography. It's just glorified general studies! Pick something great like History or engineering or Hairdressing. In short pick literally anything else, perhaps travel and tourism.

Disclaimer: My college's history department vies with geography for budget. I am single-handedly trying to stamp it out as a subject.
I like geography so I think I will go with chem maths physics and geography but i like maths so don't know whether further maths would be better than physics

It depends really. If you're considering Natural Sciences look into the course structure of the degree and choose which ones you're likely to take/enjoy. So if you like the physics stuff then physics is a defo. Also look at the entry requirements, I believe most places ask for maths+2 sciences so with your current set you should be fine for either Geo or nat sci. You can always take an AS in Further Maths in year 13 (that's what I'm doing).

I think try physics but if you don't like it switch to further maths. Do some reading ahead too and look at what you cover in both AS further maths and physics and see which one you prefer. You could ask your teachers to go through some stuff or to read through the AS textbooks
Original post by Darthmixalot
Don't pick geography. It's just glorified general studies! Pick something great like History or engineering or Hairdressing. In short pick literally anything else, perhaps travel and tourism.

Disclaimer: My college's history department vies with geography for budget. I am single-handedly trying to stamp it out as a subject.

Just.No.
Reply 15
Original post by TajwarC
It depends really. If you're considering Natural Sciences look into the course structure of the degree and choose which ones you're likely to take/enjoy. So if you like the physics stuff then physics is a defo. Also look at the entry requirements, I believe most places ask for maths+2 sciences so with your current set you should be fine for either Geo or nat sci. You can always take an AS in Further Maths in year 13 (that's what I'm doing).

I think try physics but if you don't like it switch to further maths. Do some reading ahead too and look at what you cover in both AS further maths and physics and see which one you prefer. You could ask your teachers to go through some stuff or to read through the AS textbooks

Thanks I think that I will go for physics. I will go see my teachers anyway about the courses but they are both really biased towards their subjects lol.
Thanks I think that I will go for physics. I will go see my teachers anyway about the courses but they are both really biased towards their subjects lol.

b-b-but further maths... :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest