The Student Room Group

Edexcel FP2 June 2015 - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by imyimy
thanks! and something like this

http://www.examsolutions.net/a-level-maths-papers/Edexcel/Further-Maths/Further-Maths-FP2/2011-June/questions/q6.gif

like if you had to find the area of the triangle and something else, in cartesian coord systems you'd just do 1/2 base x height or similar, but I'm not sure what you would do in polar. thanks!

You would do the same thing.

1. Work out the area of the sector.

2. Work out the lengths of the sides of the triangle. You do this by using the fact that x=rcosθ x=rcos\theta and y=rsinθ y = rsin\theta, because you have r and theta.

3. Use 1/2 base x height to calculate the area of the triangle

4. Area of R = Area of sector - Area of triangle

:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 41
Original post by kingaaran
You would do the same thing.

1. Work out the area of the sector.

2. Work out the lengths of the sides of the triangle. You do this by using the fact that x=rcosθ x=rcos\theta and y=rsinθ y = rsin\theta, because you have r and theta.

3. Use 1/2 base x height to calculate the area of the triangle

4. Area of R = Area of sector - Area of triangle

:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh okay! I didn't realise you could do the x and y thing, thank you!
for practice paper A, question 1, why have they continued to give values of theta >pi i thought
Hi guys in the june 2011 paper question 5c you had to keep use the method of w=x+iy . Was just wondering if there was a way of recognizing which method you had to use in a certain question of loci because i used the method to rearrange for z and got the answer wrong. thanks in advance
Reply 44
Original post by darkdrifter10
Hi guys in the june 2011 paper question 5c you had to keep use the method of w=x+iy . Was just wondering if there was a way of recognizing which method you had to use in a certain question of loci because i used the method to rearrange for z and got the answer wrong. thanks in advance

I think that when you are finding the point that it is transformed into you rearrange for z, while if you are finding what it is transformed from you swap them out for their real and imaginary parts. This is my weakest part of FP2 so I could be wrong but this is all I can think of for the two differences between the styles of the questions that require the methods
Original post by darkdrifter10

When you have z and you want w, you make z the subject and sub w= u+ iv into your equation (if you choose to do it using the component method).

If you have w and you want z, you keep w as your subject and sub z= x + iy into your equation (if you choose to do it using the component method).

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 46
Does anyone have any harder exam style questions or know where to find some since there doesn't seem to be any gold papers?
Reply 47
guys how to transfere y=-2x=5 from cartesian into the complex plain?

cheers!
When you have z and you want w, you make z the subject and sub w= u+ iv into your equation (if you choose to do it using the component method).

If you have w and you want z, you keep w as your subject and sub z= x + iy into your equation (if you choose to do it using the component method).

Posted from TSR Mobile

if there's modulus are you always supposed to try and rearrange it, and if it doesn't work then sub x + iy?
Reply 49
Original post by mmms95
if there's modulus are you always supposed to try and rearrange it, and if it doesn't work then sub x + iy?

Seems like it, but the transformations can get a bit dogdy. Also some of the answers in Ex.3H differ from the ones in the solution bank, like Q14b. I think the book is right
Original post by FN510
Seems like it, but the transformations can get a bit dogdy. Also some of the answers in Ex.3H differ from the ones in the solution bank, like Q14b. I think the book is right

are you also doing the questions from the book to revise? or just past papers? there's a lot more questions for the years before 2009 (like about 13 questions per year)
Original post by mmms95

Depends on what you're trying to achieve. If you are given two moduli, then you should sub x + iy in and apply Pythagoras, because it's well faster, but if not, then you can either use the component method or the perpendicular bisector method, depending on which you prefer. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 52
Original post by mmms95
are you also doing the questions from the book to revise? or just past papers? there's a lot more questions for the years before 2009 (like about 13 questions per year)

If there's a topic I'm not too good with then I'll qickly work through the exercises, but otherwise I do exam qs from http://www.stgeorges-community.org.uk/images/Fp2_Sample_Questions_V2.pdf + 2009 onwards + practice papers.
Are you ready??
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by FN510
If there's a topic I'm not too good with then I'll qickly work through the exercises, but otherwise I do exam qs from http://www.stgeorges-community.org.uk/images/Fp2_Sample_Questions_V2.pdf + 2009 onwards + practice papers.
Are you ready??

yeah im doing those questions aswell then im gonna move on to June 2009 + onwards past papers, are you finding the older years questions more lengthy btw/complicated (some) like especially when they ask you to draw a graph? (the trig ones)

Depends on what you're trying to achieve. If you are given two moduli, then you should sub x + iy in and apply Pythagoras, because it's well faster, but if not, then you can either use the component method or the perpendicular bisector method, depending on which you prefer. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

so in transformations there's basically two methods, but the component method always works? sorry i keep asking silly questions ahah i just get confused sometimes on what to do
Reply 54
Original post by mmms95
yeah im doing those questions aswell then im gonna move on to June 2009 + onwards past papers, are you finding the older years questions more lengthy btw/complicated (some) like especially when they ask you to draw a graph? (the trig ones)

so in transformations there's basically two methods, but the component method always works? sorry i keep asking silly questions ahah i just get confused sometimes on what to do

Correct, components will always give you a solution in any FP2 question. It is also very helpful if you need to state the Cartesian equation afterwards.

Mod(z) substitution should only be used when the question explicitly tells you some information about the transformation, such as: it's a circle, it's a line or it lies on the real axis.
Reply 55
Original post by mmms95

For the graphs, I just use the table mode on my calc to help me get the shape :colone:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 56
Original post by Alex:
Mod(z) substitution should only be used when the question explicitly tells you some information about the transformation, such as: it's a circle, it's a line or it lies on the real axis.

It seems like you can rearrange to get different loci?? Is that why they specifically state the type?
Original post by FN510
For the graphs, I just use the table mode on my calc to help me get the shape :colone:

same! is that the only method though?
Reply 59
Original post by mmms95
for practice paper A, question 1, why have they continued to give values of theta >pi i thought

What paper are you referring to?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending