The Student Room Group

History Degree. Am I aiming too high?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Hi everyone! Just an update! Got an offer from Queens, Belfast and Kings College, London! Just waiting on the other 3 now :smile:
Original post by geoking
You may find it insulting, but it's up to you to prove how your actions are not childish - ironically taking umbrage and not explaining why my assertion was wrong is, well, childish.

If you can't see why your arguments are fallacies you have a hell of a lot to learn before you'll pass first year let alone do a PhD.

You go study History and Politics. I'll pursue something that can pay me upwards of £450 a day.

She will be making a good investment by studying History and Politics IF she knows what she wants to do. She then needs to be proactive and get work experience, so she can secure a job when she graduates. The sad truth is that most 'professional' jobs these days require a degree.
Original post by geoking
And what would you do after the masters?

Point is, get into one of the universities and then change course to something that is more career orientated.

Ignore him, go to uni because you have passion for a subject. You will have to face this subject for 3 + years, don't study a course just because of career paths. If History (which is a very high academic subject) is right for you, then it's right for you!
Original post by bethblur
Hi, I'm applying to History at university level. I have applied to 5 courses.

History at Kings College, London. (AAA including History)
History at University of Sussex (AAB)
Ancient, Medieval and Modern History at University of Durham (AAA)
History at University of York (AAA)
History at Queens University, Belfast (ABB)

I am predicted A*AA at A-level
GCSES: 2 A*, 3A and 5B.

I fear that my GCSEs will let me down? In your opinion, which do you think i'll get offers for?

I know that the personal statement, reference, and overall application is taken into consideration... But, what do you think?

Your GCSEs are similar to mine and same predicted grades (A*AA) I got five offers for History at
Warwick AAA
Kings AAA
Birmingham (unconditional) AAB
Southampton AAB
Royal Holloway ABB
Reply 124
Original post by Magnus Taylor
Your GCSEs are similar to mine and same predicted grades (A*AA) I got five offers for History at
Warwick AAA
Kings AAA
Birmingham (unconditional) AAB
Southampton AAB
Royal Holloway ABB

Thanks. My UCAS was sent off last week. So far, have an offer from Queens (ABB) and Kings (AAA)
Reply 125
Btw, how did your application go? Have you firmed any offers yet?
Reply 126
Original post by Tiwa
Btw, how did your application go? Have you firmed any offers yet?

Got an unconditional from Sussex. Waiting on York and Durham!
Reply 127
Awesome! I wish you all the best.
Reply 128
Original post by Tiwa
Awesome! I wish you all the best.

Yeah i'm really happy with the 3 i've got, but York and Durham are my favourites and i'm scared i'll get rejected from both :frown: it's been ages
I think a History degree would be useful for a variety of careers. Thanks for your opinion.

+1
+2
Original post by jambojim97
She will be making a good investment by studying History and Politics IF she knows what she wants to do. She then needs to be proactive and get work experience, so she can secure a job when she graduates. The sad truth is that most 'professional' jobs these days require a degree.

I would like to go into politics after studying my History and Politics degree, but I can't go into it in England and I despise the workings of Northern Ireland, so I will probably end up in the civil service. I can't do much about work experience for that where I live (such a challenge even to get 4 days at the local museum and Guildhall) so I will have to make most of my efforts at university.

Besides, these days, doesn't any job with a decent wage require a degree?
Original post by CescaD96

Besides, these days, doesn't any job with a decent wage require a degree?

Not all, but many.
Reply 133
Have offers from Kings, York, Queens and Sussex! Just waiting on Durham now! Just got York there now... SO relieved! I think York or Durham would be my firm
Have offers from Kings, York, Queens and Sussex! Just waiting on Durham now! Just got York there now... SO relieved! I think York or Durham would be my firm

Well done!

Incredible, I hope to be in your position next year!:smile:
Reply 135
Original post by constantino_chr
Well done!

Incredible, I hope to be in your position next year!:smile:

Thank you! Are you thinking on applying to the same places for History next year? :biggrin:
Thank you! Are you thinking on applying to the same places for History next year? :biggrin:

History and Politics, York is one of my top picks at the moment:biggrin:
Reply 137
History and Politics, York is one of my top picks at the moment:biggrin:

Oh, nice! If I could go back, I'd probs change Sussex to Sheffield. Apart from that, I'm happy with my other choices! I'm going to visit York in 2 weeks for a post-offer day. I recommend trying to get into summer taster events before next year, as it will really boost your application, especially if you went to one for the university you like. Btw, if your GCSEs aren't straight A/A* don't be put off. I have 4 and a half Bs at GCSE, and my friend has similar, and he got to the interview stage at Cambridge and has an offer from Warwick and Bristol etc. That was something I wish someone had told me when I was applying! I was petrified of aiming high and receiving a lot of rejections, but truth is, as long as you have a 'healthy' GCSE profile (ie. A*s, As, Bs), a good personal statement, strong AS' and a decent reference, then you can apply anywhere! (Apart from maybe Oxford who concentrate a lot on GCSEs i hear.)
Oh, nice! If I could go back, I'd probs change Sussex to Sheffield. Apart from that, I'm happy with my other choices! I'm going to visit York in 2 weeks for a post-offer day. I recommend trying to get into summer taster events before next year, as it will really boost your application, especially if you went to one for the university you like. Btw, if your GCSEs aren't straight A/A* don't be put off. I have 4 and a half Bs at GCSE, and my friend has similar, and he got to the interview stage at Cambridge and has an offer from Warwick and Bristol etc. That was something I wish someone had told me when I was applying! I was petrified of aiming high and receiving a lot of rejections, but truth is, as long as you have a 'healthy' GCSE profile (ie. A*s, As, Bs), a good personal statement, strong AS' and a decent reference, then you can apply anywhere! (Apart from maybe Oxford who concentrate a lot on GCSEs i hear.)

Thanks! That's really refreshing to hear when everyone on here seems to think you're a failure unless you get straight A*'s (I got 4 B's:tongue:) and do STEM subjects. I am doing 2 taster programs at LSE and King's this summer and have applied for summer schools at Durham and LSE (doubt I'll get either because they're so competitive). Trying to get AAAA at AS but it's pretty much impossible in my current circumstances.

Thanks for the advice, it's really reassuring.
Reply 139
Thanks! That's really refreshing to hear when everyone on here seems to think you're a failure unless you get straight A*'s (I got 4 B's:tongue:) and do STEM subjects. I am doing 2 taster programs at LSE and King's this summer and have applied for summer schools at Durham and LSE (doubt I'll get either because they're so competitive). Trying to get AAAA at AS but it's pretty much impossible in my current circumstances.

Thanks for the advice, it's really reassuring.

Yeah, the people on here worried me too haha. That's brilliant! Glad to hear. I didn't really like the look of LSE's history course for me... But it's a fantastic university for sure. Yeah, Durham is scarily competitive for History. Surprised I haven't been rejected yet for the joint honours with Ancient History! If I got it, it'd be a dream come true. I'd still be happy if I went to York though :smile: I got AAAB at AS, dropped english lit which I got a B in. My advice is to make notes throughout the year, so by the time study leave comes, you just have to learn them. I'm a crammer and it means making good mindmaps in advance is crucial. Sorry to hear about your curent circumstances. You should let your school know when they are writing your reference so that the university can take your circumstances into consideration.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending