The Student Room Group

Best Universities for Computer Graphics/Animation?

Hey

I'm trying to find good universities that provide good courses in Computer Graphics and Animation, and one that has a reasonable high entry requirements (e.g. 300+ points).

I've looked at Bournemouth, and although the campus wasn't great, the course is one of the best, it also has a mix of programming, animation etc, allowing me to go into different areas of the industry afterwards.

Was just wondering if anyone here knew of any good places they might be able to recommand.

Thanks very much
Chris :cool:

Scroll to see replies

I looked at Teesside, who have another skillset accredited in Computer Animation, campus isnt great there either but there's about to be a new build finished for the digital media/computing faculties, and it seems to be their speciality, there's tons of courses in digi media/computing/animation/effects.

Check out skillset too, on their site are the 6 accredited animation courses.
Reply 2
ive applied to bournemouth for computer animation i was realy impressed
i looked at portsmouth but the course is new and the man at the open day was rubbish
erm teeside looked good but its too far for me
from all the research i did i couldnt find anywhere else that was good that did it
let me know if you find anywhere because if i dont get in at bournemouth im going to have to go through ucas extra and i cant think of anything else id want to do
At bournemouth you have to sit a maths and life drawing exam at the interview.

The maths element of the course put me right off.
Reply 4
yeh you have to do a logic test as well
has anyone done the entrance tests? or know someone who has?
i kind of want to know what to expect
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=260499&highlight=animation

If that helps.

I'm now at Herts, which I wasn't when I wrote that.

Edit: I couldn't find the Bournemouth unofficial course forums (though I'm sure they have some), but here is Portsmouths and here is Hert's (which is very busy most of the time, and i'm a moderator - it's also a great place to just chat!).

I know it sounds like i'm sexing up Herts a lot, but i'm really enjoying the course, learning a lot, meeting a lot of cool people and generally loving it. If you have any questions, i'll try and answer them.
Reply 6
I've applied to Teesside, Bournemouth and Staffordshire. Hopefully my portfoloi will be good enough, we'll just have to see. But i should be alright at the Bournemouth exams, if i ever got past the interview and portfiolo, because i do Maths and Computing.
The guy who didnt like portsmouth.. did you look at the Bsc or BA course?? The Bachelor of Science did look rubbish, and the technician smelt of alcohol, but the BA seems good.
Reply 8
Best uni for animation is bournemouth.. it has the NCCA there, and well the students work from there seems to be the best ive seen. However hertfordshires work is pretty good as well.
Ive applied to both of them, as well as teeside which is meant to be good as well..
anyways gd luck..
If you get an offer from Teesside and are thinking of going there - visit first, the course is good but the place isn't for everyone.
Reply 10
Yeah i already visited Teesside before i applied, and got 3 offers from there yesterday.
I thought the place was alright, especially the facilities that i saw.
They're building 2 new buildings at the moment, and if i rember correctly from the open day, 1 building is a sort of drawing and designing building. A building set out more relaxed so it's easier to draw etc, as opposed to sitting at a desk that is cramped with computer keyboards etc.
And the other is a clay building is something, seems quite good, but was a long time ago i last visited it.
They've also got motion tracking sensor equipment that i had a go with (strapped some pads on me and walked arounf the room), and it was really good.
And the people there were nice aswell, and teacher enthusiatic and funny.

But the course in 3D Digital Animation at Hertfordshire that DanGrover was talking about, the entry requirements for that are around 200 UCAS Points, which is 2 D's and a C... Hardly challenging for me whose aiming for a B's and poss an A.

But i have my interview at Bournemouth at the end of the month, which i need to get ready for after exams are over. Hopefully i'll be alright, we'll juts have to see.
Reply 11
good luck with the bournemouth interview, mines on the 17th :biggrin:...

im guessing your welsh from your name?... newport and glamorgan are meant to have good animation courses as well..
Reply 12
Good luck with your interview, 2 weeks before mine, i think that's when mine was suppose to be but i changed because of exams.

I'm not welsh, just a saying our teacher had at school becuase he was welsh, plus no one has the same user name so it's sort of unique, and you don't have to keep on changing it becase someones already taken the one you want.

I looked at your myspace slide show, those life drawings are well good, you should be alright at Bournemouth (art side def).
Reply 13
lol cheers mate... one of my friends are having there interview on same day as you.. 31st Jan?...

ill let you know how hard the entry tests are after mine...

those life drawing stuff were done realllllly quickly, because i had an interview for southampton, and they asked to see a whole sketchbook full of it. so i spent about 5-10mins on each one. i didnt actually go to the southampton interview in the end, cause i have offers from herts/teeside which id rather go to over southampton...
Reply 14
Yeah mine is on the 31st January.

That would great if you could tell me how hard the tests are after your interview.

A whole sketchbook full of life drawing for Southampton Solent! That's loads.. When i sent my portfolio up to Teesside they only required about half a dozen life drawings, i did about 10 or so, and got in.
Isn't the entry requirements for Southampton Solent 120 Ucas points? The equilivant of 3 E's?! Not really challenging at all..

Have you been to any of the open days at Bournemouth orTeesside?
Reply 15
ive only been to one open day, and thats bournemouth's... im not really interested in going to any other university for animation other than bournemouth. I got an offer from teeside without an interview! thank god for that.. i really wasnt looking forward to the long journey up there..
(im from london..)
the entry requirements doesnt make much difference to me, as i already have 290 points from my first year :biggrin: (4A's and a B)..
anyways yeh ill let you know how hard the entry tests things are..
ive heard the life drawing is quick minute poses or sumthing for half an hour.
Reply 16
Yeah i didn't have to go to an interview at Teesside which i was happy about. I live in Reading, which is basically West of London, so traveling times up there would be roughly the same, 6 hours!

What did you think about the accomadation and campus at Bournemouth?

Chris
Reply 17
I got the dvd thingy from the open day... i havnt watched it since the open day... but yeah it seemed quite good for me. I cant really compare to other uni's cause i havnt been to other open days.
I cant remember what the names of the buildings are, but i prefered the ensuite rooms, or the accomadation on campus.
Hope i get in first man.

Have you been to a staffordshire openday??
when i was searching up courses through ucas, they did LOADS of game design/animation courses, but again.. the area, and uni were a bit of a turn off for me, so i didnt apply there.
Reply 18
Yeah i went to an open day and an interview there.
To be honest it was more of a back up choice, incase Teesside didn't want me. I'm glad to applied just for the back up, but i'd rather go to Teesside anyday over Staffordshire. The course was sort of alright, even though most of the students can't draw... Which was a bit of... And when i showed him my art work he didn't really seem interested.

The Accomodation is Miles better than that of Bournemouth, but i guess if you haven't seen other Uni's, it's hard to compare whats Bournemouths like.

But i didn't really get to see much of the facilites at Bournmouth (hopefully i might at the interview), but Teesside have good facilities and new buildings on the way.
Welshy, ignore UCAS points. Bradford has one of the highest entry requirments for the course, but from what I've heard, it's a pretty gash course.

Quick Reply

Latest