The Student Room Group

Best Universities for Computer Graphics/Animation?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
I wasn't saying that i didn't like BU, just that its wasn't as good as i thought it would be, the course looks like the best for me, as although the arty side is fun, i am much better at scripting/programming and the technical side in general. I already know the foundations of both MEL/MAX scripting but wish to become better, the arty side is easy to improve on in my spare time, same with modelling and animating so I'm not too worried about them only teaching the basics.(which if you have creative ability most will be able to do this)

Plus i have brothers who are experts :biggrin: so i can drain some knowledge out of them, still im very indecisive.

Thanks to all those already at Bournemouth and Herts, who have been giving me needed info. lately as well!!! (will post my portfolio soon, maybe you guys could spot somethings that i should have done or changed).

EDIT:
Also im a maya user and they seem to focus on that, (only uni i have seen that teahces melscript, and maths as part of the animation course).
Reply 181
How about 2D animation in bournemouth?
just for 3D animation course?
Reply 182
Okay guys, after I wrote about my experienced colleague who doesn't script, another one was struggling because he didn't know how to sort some code out... eheheheheh I just take everything back. Maybe if I go to BU I will be able to take their job next year.... ehehehehehehh. I've done Java and have some C++ very basic notions. Can someone please tell me exactly what kind of programming/scripting languages they do at BU and also the level possibly?

Cheers and sorry for the minestrone-discussion

PS where are the emoticons.... ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh???

Wow I cant even find the emoticons how can I code ehehehehe what a disaster
Reply 183
Sanghokim I see you too are veeeeeeeeeeeeeeery clear about what you want to do ehehehehehehehhe what a bunch of potatoes we are!

I bet I'm gettin a warnin 4 this.
Reply 184
FIVE, did you have a interview? I have the interview at 6th Feb.
I don't know how to use MAX or MAYA but just Photoshop.
I am going to take just my fine art works. I am still worried about my English.... nervous....... :frown:
Reply 185
Hey Sangho no I sent out my applications to Tees and London only a few days ago, I'm going to send my feet and hands to BU this morning -yes I know it may sound a bit disturbing...-. I am not sure about the times for the MA applications.... they say to be patient. I will look like Moses when/if they call me.....?

Anyway thats very good news you have this interview, do not worry, seriously. Just go there and show them how good you are and that you really want to learn. Be poso!!! -and smile a lot... well, smile normal!

Also you are going there to learn the software so neeeeeeee bother.

Ok I can't sleep so I'm having a croissant instead.

If we all get accepted, we really need to organize a meeting or something!

Talk to u soon.
first and 2nd year they teach us C programming, and 3rd year they teach C++.

if you want to see they kind of stuff programming/maths we do in the first year get these books;

C programming in easy steps,
mathematics for computer graphics.

the scripting at the moment is teaching us how to create procedures, windows, customising your own GUI, stuff like that.

yesterday we had a presentation and workshop class with 2 professional animators, one who has worked with richard williams, and the other whos been at disney and worked on a few feature length films. i thought it was really good, and they showed us how to animate 2D walk cycles.

For 2D animation look at the course at the arts institute bournemouth. they do an Animation Production course, which is credtited by skillset.
Reply 187
Hey just wanted to know more about life at Bournemouth, i now know a lot about the course and what will be expected of me if i choose it, but whats it like there. Nice atmosphere, the people seemed really cool and friendly especially others taking the interview with me and students around the campus.

Good clubs? student life, any information would be great.
I have a fair bit of experience in the 3d design field, and i recieved a significantly reduced offer for bournemouth, which is pretty much unconditional. im not sure whether to go to herts or to bournemouth?
bournemouth night life is amazing :biggrin:... i live in purbeck house, which is basically 5minute walk from all the clubs, only bad thing is trying to wake up in the morning for lectures the next day. Also Asda is 5minutes walk from purbeck too, so food shopping is really easy, and its really cheap too. the area is really nice, and everywhere in town theres students, its not really an "old peoples retirement" area. however there are quite a few tramps (even more than in central london!!) around, mainly because theres homeless shelter near purbeck.

dont forget you have the beach really close, so summers will be loads of fun too. :smile:
Reply 190
yeh i heard there are alot of clubs around lol.

And Sabrenoose: From wat i can make out, if you want to be a 3d animator focusing on the environment or animations only, go to herts. Bournemouth gives you skills to programme, script etc and get the best jobs as technical director or something or other, which should ultimately allow you to manage the team of animators (best job basically).

Or thats how i see it
Reply 191
lol sounds good, social life looks awesome at Bournemouth, i remember when i was younger and we use to go down there, was full of old rich Jewish couple, but now its a really young town. Didn't have a chance to see the beach my sister went down when she was waiting for me, and said it would be really nice in the summer.

here is some of my portfolio, sorry about the poor quality i just took some pic quickly of some of the pages, and added some of the original digital copies.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/h696jw

@sabernoose
how did you manage to get a reduced offer?? do you have incredible grades in the right subjects, and an amazing portfolio, or is it because you have been in the industry?
Reply 192
Con:
lol sounds good, social life looks awesome at Bournemouth, i remember when i was younger and we use to go down there, was full of old rich Jewish couple, but now its a really young town.

Why... is there something wrong with old rich Jewish people? Please can you explain?

Much appreciated.
Reply 193
FIVE
Why... is there something wrong with old rich Jewish people? Please can you explain?

Much appreciated.

Nope, just wasn't a young hang out, with clubs and stuff, looks really kl now, isn't the beach pretty far though? (from the actual campus)

What i like about herts is that its just a 20 mins from central London.
Reply 194
FIVE, yes, I hope we all get accepted and a meeting will be great!
Thank you for cheering me! that is really make me relax...
hope you have an interview soon. :smile:

Con:, tomdrum6 and Deadfish, thank you for informations :smile:
by the way, I have heard that they didn't ask why somebody chose this course or something. Then, what they ask at the interview?
Reply 195
Con: ... Ok, thanks.

Sangho... I hope so toooooo. Btw... have you heard back from Teesside yet?

Deadfish... sorry I forgot to thank u for the info previously.
:biggrin:
Reply 196
I haven't heard back yet,,,, I am not sure I am going to Teesside because of the location...
I am waiting for a message from Hertfordshire and Newport. :biggrin:
Reply 197
:p:

I hope they get back to me very soon. Teesside is actually my first choice.

#nodots#
#elmo# #elmo# #elmo# #elmo# #elmo# #elmo#
#nodots#
Reply 198
sanghokim
I haven't heard back yet,,,, I am not sure I am going to Teesside because of the location...
I am waiting for a message from Hertfortshire and Newport. :biggrin:

Yeh that was the reason i didn't apply, i figured if i was going to travel all that way to stay at a uni, i would choose one which is best for my course (Bournemouth).

Also the course at Herts and the one at Tees is really similar (their focus) and i personally preferred Herts.
Reply 199
:toilet:

:party: :party: :party:

Cool bro!

I'm getting obsessed with the smilies.... sorry.

Quick Reply

Latest