The Student Room Group

Best Universities for Computer Graphics/Animation?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Deadfish41

Tasha's animation, whcih is up on facebook, so im not sure if you would be able to see it, is incredibly technical.

(http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/video/video.php?v=72235465816)

Hope that helps a bit :smile:

Dan.

Cheers, Dan for your information. :smile:

Is Tasha's animation the same as the one in youtube which you mentioned earlier - the nympth? Same like in facebook? I can't access facebook as I haven't registered on it.

What places or companies have you visited so far. Does the uni. take you to any shows/festivals etc.?
The nymph was directd by a guy called Dante, and Tashas is completely different. Its a music video, using mocap, and particles.

I visisted a few companies last year on a trip with the course. Double negative, blue zoo, cinecite, ummm, i cant seem to remember the other ones at the moment! I believe last year, the university went to a festival in France, but only one of my coursemates went. Again, i have a bad memory and cant remember what it was called! sorry!
Reply 582
Deadfish41
The nymph was directd by a guy called Dante, and Tashas is completely different. Its a music video, using mocap, and particles.

I just joined facebook but can't link to her site to watch it - it could be that maybe I'm not on her friends list. Ah well..... Thanks, anyway.:rolleyes:
Reply 583
Its basically an abstract piece, using motion capture but rendered in particles playing along to music (its a music video)

Yeh i went to blue zoo and cinesite too :smile:

as for programming, you really start to appreciate it when opening up maya and writing up a scipt to do nsomething. me and my mate just made a script....we take 8 panels of building props, then using for loops, duplicate them randomly of varying heights and rotations to populate a city scene :biggrin:. its so satisfying when you actually get it working lol

ANYWAY off to programming at 9......then maths....then scripting lolol tough day xD
Reply 584
tomdrum6
Its basically an abstract piece, using motion capture but rendered in particles playing along to music (its a music video)

Yeh i went to blue zoo and cinesite too :smile:

as for programming, you really start to appreciate it when opening up maya and writing up a scipt to do nsomething. me and my mate just made a script....we take 8 panels of building props, then using for loops, duplicate them randomly of varying heights and rotations to populate a city scene :biggrin:. its so satisfying when you actually get it working lol

ANYWAY off to programming at 9......then maths....then scripting lolol tough day xD

Hi Tomdrum6, thanks for your info. above. I know you're in your first year at BU so are you enjoying it very much?

If you have time, would you be able to tell me how it's been for you/fellow students since you started in September? Are you kept busy all the time? I'm just trying to gather as much info. as pos. for my girl as at the mo she can't decide between going to BU or UH - she's got both offers in. She's not interested in going anywhere else so cancelling AIB interview 2moro as somebody said they do 2D only.

What makes you decide on going to BU out of all the other unis?

Is there anywhere on the BU site to tell future students what is covered during each term in their lessons?

How much computing do you do and what other subjects are covered?

I must get myself familiar with all these terms you guys used eg. scripting (?), modelling, rigging etc. Must look up all these terminology somewhere on the web.

Thanks in advance:wink:
Reply 585
yeh im enjoying it loads. Its been hard work, yeh were always busy with something but mostly its stuff you enjoy doing, and theres still enough time to relax and not do anything xD well, if you want to that is.

This course is technical, no doubt about it. Its classed as the best animation course in the uk, and i think that learning the technical side definitely gives a big boost in the industry and getting a job later, but you have to also enjoy your technical stuff. Iv always liked ICT..computing etc. and really enjoy learning the tech stuff, within reason. We do quite a bit of programming (C) which so far just involves creating basic programs (its basically a mini programming course) and we also learn scripting, which is writing code straight into the application to do stuff, like populating a city as i mentioned. This is very useful, and learning C really helps understand it. When looking round the studios, theres often some kind of scripting window open so i think its defnitely a tool to have if becoming an animator.

The difference between herts and BU i think is that in bournemouth the "animation" side in the first year comes mainly from the set project. this is where 5/6 people group together to model and animate a short film etc. You will find most of what you learn is from sitting down with the program (maya) and picking up how to use it. There isnt a huge amount of "teaching". Herts sounds more like you get taught specific animation techniques etc. and its focused around that. When i chose the course, i chose it because i wanted to try and get the best possible job basically. I was also interested in programming and graphic design, and so it wasnt a far stretch.

Subjects...we cover almost everything you can ever want...
Life drawing, cinematography, Still and moving image theory, programming, scripting, Modelling animation and rendering, Maths, Principles of computer systems

Each share roughly 2/3 hours a week. Fridays we spend the day working as a group, learning maya and creating our animation.

Many people hadnt done scripting / programming or ICT before, and so find the technical bit hard. I wont lie, if you find programming and It etc tricky it might take a bit of work. Nobody can do maths, so dont worry about it. just pass the exam...

sorry for essay
Reply 586
tomdrum6

sorry for essay

Don't be sorry - I love essays! Thanks ever so much, Tomdrum6. Every little bit helps (info. that is). At least, everybody's:grouphugs: comments/experiences will give her better knowledge of what each uni. does and how the students are liking their course.

Everyone's comments etc. on this thread is very useful for future applicants in years to come - see this thread is started by Welshboyoman in 2006!

Where do you live now accommodation wise?
What do you guys do when you're free and want to enjoy yourselves?

If she decides to go BU then we're most probably looking at the Student Village for accommodation - don't want to catch bus in the morning. Are there any supermarkets nearby for groceries?

I'm feeling very excited for her indeed - next step in her young life + leaving home and be very independent. Just like you guys have gone through - 1st year's etc.:yep:
behappy8

If she decides to go BU then we're most probably looking at the Student Village for accommodation - don't want to catch bus in the morning.

Are you serious?:confused: When I went to the open day Student village looked nasty man...the house i visited had all these patches on the floor (from spillge or sick) and had a very damp smell:frown: . The rooms were real small and there was 1 shower for about 5/6 people and a toilet.

My parents were like...son you are not staying here.

Have you looked at any other accommedation they have? It might mean taking a bus in the morning but its better living conditions? you decide.

Personally when I get my grades Im applying for accommodation at Purbeck house...you share a flat with 4 or 5 people but everyone has an en-suite in their:biggrin: room (no sharing showers), rooms are a decent size and all you share is kitchen, dining and lounge area. Rooms have a single bed and large desk.

Honestly in my opinion I would say dont go for the student village but its your choice. Sorry I seem full on:smile: ...It's just Student village was a frown for me and I just wouldnt want anyone living in those conditions:smile: .
Im finding it a bit of a decision deciding between the student village for the whole onsite accomodation. but then again its far from asda if you wanted your shopping. and aye i want to apply to purbeck house. nicest accomodation by far. my mate is in exactly the same setup in sheffield and its very nice. the sofas in the shared lounge are not comfy in the slightest but you know.

and also some of these rooms would have double beds! i want to know about the double beds situation. when i went to sheffield my mate and her uni mates from the different flats always mentioned how there was always one person per a flat having a double bed. I would love a bigger bed so that my boyfriend can stay when he comes to visit. after an 8 hour train journey its not going to be fun to try and fit in a single.
Reply 589
TashanLewis
Are you serious?:confused: When I went to the open day Student village looked nasty man...the house i visited had all these patches on the floor (from spillge or sick) and had a very damp smell:frown: . The rooms were real small and there was 1 shower for about 5/6 people and a toilet.

Hi Tashan, The room they showed us during the open day (small room downstairs) seems OK with us although abit small - didn't see anything on the wall and there's a sink in it too. There are various size rooms available.

Our criteria are:
1. Budget - cheaper than Purbeck + no additional cost of travelling.
2. Convenience - easy to get to & fro eg. on doorstep for lectures etc. and can go back for lunch break - again saving.
3. Can rest more, no need to get up early to get bus to lectures, she don't like travelling that much. She has some health problems - some days are better than others but this does not stop her from going out and enjoying herself. It's just easier if she live on campus.

Will still need to pick some other places if she doesn't get into the Student Village - hopefully we can write a strong case for this.
Ashtonised
Im finding it a bit of a decision deciding between the student village for the whole onsite accomodation. but then again its far from asda if you wanted your shopping. and aye i want to apply to purbeck house. nicest accomodation by far. my mate is in exactly the same setup in sheffield and its very nice. the sofas in the shared lounge are not comfy in the slightest but you know.

Lol it was one easy decision for me lol...Student Village lol was a big frown to me as I sed.

Yeah its far from Asda lol...where as Purbeck is close to asda (easy food access:biggrin: , not to metion possible job if needed:smile: ). Yeah I agree man Purbeck is real nice accommedation...looks clean and the en-suite topped it for me...I aint one to share showers man:rolleyes:.

LOL hard sofa lol...dats a minor im sure a few cusions culd sort dat:P ... culd just get my own bean bag lol:biggrin: love them things :P.

@ Ashtonised - The lil animations on your site are nice. good work:biggrin:
behappy8

Our criteria are:
1. Budget - cheaper than Purbeck + no additional cost of travelling.
2. Convenience - easy to get to & fro eg. on doorstep for lectures etc. and can go back for lunch break - again saving.
3. Can rest more, no need to get up early to get bus to lectures, she don't like travelling that much. She has some health problems - some days are better than others but this does not stop her from going out and enjoying herself. It's just easier if she live on campus.

Well yeah if you got a budget then yeah I hear what your saying and with the health problems, then yeah I agree it would be easier for her to stay in student village, on those basis and would be the wisest option in this case.

I was just giving a heads up but obviously everyone is different and are taking different criteria into consideration when deciding.

Personally I think with the mentioning of health problems, they'll be more than likely to offer her a place in the student village..seen as it only a stone throw away from the Uni's medical centre.
USEFUL LINK:

ANYONE WHO HASN'T HAD A CHANCE TO SEE ALL ACCOMMODATION HERE A LIL' VIDEO YOU CAN WATCH:

Accommodation Video for BU

Hope its useful

Hola
TashanLewis
Lol it was one easy decision for me lol...Student Village lol was a big frown to me as I sed.

Yeah its far from Asda lol...where as Purbeck is close to asda (easy food access:biggrin: , not to metion possible job if needed:smile: ). Yeah I agree man Purbeck is real nice accommedation...looks clean and the en-suite topped it for me...I aint one to share showers man:rolleyes:.

LOL hard sofa lol...dats a minor im sure a few cusions culd sort dat:P ... culd just get my own bean bag lol:biggrin: love them things :P.

@ Ashtonised - The lil animations on your site are nice. good work:biggrin:

BEAN BAG! That! Sorts everything out! Cant belive the idea never came across my head. a bean bag is the thing ya need!

and thank you very much! tashan :smile:
Reply 594
Hey guys...

I phoned on monday, and i dont think ive made it. I think their system is to accept the people they want fairly quickly and the people they dont they turn them all down at the end.

She said she had a pile of applications that haven't had a decision made on them yet and i was in there. She said that she had interviews on wednesday and will get round to it on thursday. so yeah.... I think they have made a decision and they are just dragging it out until they've accepted the people they want.

p.s i suck
orb
Hey guys...

I phoned on monday, and i dont think ive made it. I think their system is to accept the people they want fairly quickly and the people they dont they turn them all down at the end.

She said she had a pile of applications that haven't had a decision made on them yet and i was in there. She said that she had interviews on wednesday and will get round to it on thursday. so yeah.... I think they have made a decision and they are just dragging it out until they've accepted the people they want.

p.s i suck

ID SAY IT AINT OVER TILL THE FAT LADY SINGS...SO DONT GIVE UP UNTIL UCAS TELLS YOU THAT YOUR APPLICATION WAS UNSUCCESSFUL...ANYTHING COULD HAPPEN.
Reply 596
orb
Hey guys...

p.s i suck

Sorry:sadnod: to hear about this, Orb, chin up and keep going. There are still other good unis out there so don't despair. Where else have you applied? Been to other interviews yet? I heard Glamorgan, Teeside + Hertfordshire are pretty good too.

You said - "She said she had a pile of applications that haven't had a decision made on them yet"
Maybe they're keeping that pile to be reviewed again at a later time depending on how many applicants they have already given offers to + who knows maybe some applicants might prefer to study elsewhere therefore some vacancies would become available later?
Reply 597
@ tashan
Yep thats true, although they still haven't said anything. why won't you sing fat lady?

@behappy
thankyou, yeah i've just bummed myself out for a few days so I gotta get back on track. I gotta prepare for interview at hertfordshire and westminster soon. Teeside sounded good too but its too far from home for me. Hertfordshire looks amazing so I'm getting excitedly nervous for that one.
Good luck to your daughter on which uni she chooses :biggrin:
awww orb. :frown:
I think you just still need to hang in there!
How do you think the interview went for you? What stuff did you show them?
behappy8
I just joined facebook but can't link to her site to watch it - it could be that maybe I'm not on her friends list. Ah well..... Thanks, anyway.:rolleyes:

Hey, one of the group members has uploaded it to youtube if you're sill interesed in watching it, the link is :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7DZWEM-Cig&feature=channel

Dan.

Quick Reply

Latest