The Student Room Group

Could someone please explain IB to me?

I'm considering taking IB instead of A levels, but I don't really know very much about how it works and I have heard conflicting opinions about it. Doyle have to take maths and a science? What does HL/SL actually mean? How is it viewed by universities? Is it a lot harder thanA level? What subjects are commonly available? Thanks
Original post by Lucyea
I'm considering taking IB instead of A levels, but I don't really know very much about how it works and I have heard conflicting opinions about it. Doyle have to take maths and a science? What does HL/SL actually mean? How is it viewed by universities? Is it a lot harder thanA level? What subjects are commonly available? Thanks

Hi,

So basically, it's a very rigorous, internationally recognised pre-university qualification, and although the choice is entirely yours, I'd definitely choose the IB if I were you. It definitely makes you more rounded and prepares you better for university.
To answer your question, SL and HL simply mean standard level and higher level. There are 6 subject groups in the IB system, and you choose at least one subject from each group, except group 6, which is optional. You'll have to take 3 subjects at standard level (SL) and three at higher level (HL). Naturally, your HL subject choices are entirely up to you, only you know what you want to do as a career.

The subject groups are as follows:
group 1. studies in language and literature, aka. language A (usually your native language or a language you're fluent in. The literature course is available in at least 80 languages, if I remember correctly, whereas the joint language and literature course is only available in 17 languages. The difference between A-level English literature and IB English literature is that the IB English course is not just about *English* literature, as it also covers literature in translation, plus I've heard it's more indepth.)
group 2. - language acquisition (a second language) - Again, there are two options. If you've been learning a certain foreign language for 2 to 5 years and have some proficiency in it, you can take it as language B. If you wish to learn a new language from scratch, take ab initio. (Naturally, before you choose a language, make sure your prospective school/college offers it.
group 3. - humanities and social sciences - history, geography, psychology, sociology, philosophy, economics, ...
group 4 - experimental sciences - physics, chemistry, biology, design technology, environmental systems and societies (ESS), computer science (If you don'T want to take a natural science, take computer science, that's what I'll do too.)
group 5. maths Don't worry, if you don'T need maths for your future studies, you can just take maths studies, the lowest-level maths. Then there's maths SL, maths HL and further maths HL, which covers most of the first year of university, according to my friend anyway. but I doubt you'd be interested in that, just take studies
group 6. the arts - dance, visual arts, music, theatre, film studies - This group is optional, so you can take another subject from one of the other groups instead.

Ok, this could get long, so I'll explain the core requirements in a new post.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Wow, that's very in-depth - thanks.
Could you tell me anything about the theory of knowledge, extended essay, and the CAS (?) I have looked these up but I'm not sure I really understand what they are.
Original post by Lucyea
Wow, that's very in-depth - thanks.
Could you tell me anything about the theory of knowledge, extended essay, and the CAS (?) I have looked these up but I'm not sure I really understand what they are.

Theory of knowledge (TOK) is basically philosophy. It teaches you to think critically about the knowledge you gain, i.e. how not to believe everything you're told. It's a compulsory subject every IB student must take.

The extended essay (EE) is a research-based essay of maximum 4000 words on a topic of your choice. As I don't want to write a book, I've sent you a link to a very in-depth explanation on another site. Please check your pms.

As for the CAS, though, I'm not sure on that one either, I'm afraid. :frown:
Reply 4
Original post by dorababy1995
Theory of knowledge (TOK) is basically philosophy. It teaches you to think critically about the knowledge you gain, i.e. how not to believe everything you're told. It's a compulsory subject every IB student must take.

The extended essay (EE) is a research-based essay of maximum 4000 words on a topic of your choice. As I don't want to write a book, I've sent you a link to a very in-depth explanation on another site. Please check your pms.

As for the CAS, though, I'm not sure on that one either, I'm afraid. :frown:

Hi there,

CAS is a 3 part extra-curricular activity that you have to complete in your 2 years that you do the diploma. It stands for Creativity, Action, Service. Similar to the idea of DofE, you have to carry out 50 hours of creativity, 50 hours of action and 50 hours of service as well as a project that incorporates 2 or more of C,A or S. Most people bs their CAS as much as they can to tell the truth. But I honestly like doing CAS because my IB diploma is all academic based and CAS allows me to be creative!
Original post by fran-11
Hi there,

CAS is a 3 part extra-curricular activity that you have to complete in your 2 years that you do the diploma. It stands for Creativity, Action, Service. Similar to the idea of DofE, you have to carry out 50 hours of creativity, 50 hours of action and 50 hours of service as well as a project that incorporates 2 or more of C,A or S. Most people bs their CAS as much as they can to tell the truth. But I honestly like doing CAS because my IB diploma is all academic based and CAS allows me to be creative!

Thank you so much for clearing it up! I knew what it stands for, I just didn't fully understand what all the fuss was about.

Considering I'm blind, what could I do? Does music count as creativity?
Reply 6
Original post by dorababy1995
Thank you so much for clearing it up! I knew what it stands for, I just didn't fully understand what all the fuss was about.

Considering I'm blind, what could I do? Does music count as creativity?

Oh definitely! CAS is really open to what can be counted for it. Whether it's tackling a really hard piece, practicing for grade 8 or even learning a new instrument - it's all creative. You could start up a school newspaper - that counts for creativity and service. Anything to do with film, art (i.e. painting etc) or drama.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending