The Student Room Group

Scared to join a gym alone

I really, really want to join a gym and get into it. I don't have any friends since they're in uni (I'm a year behind), and all I do is A level work because I have nothing else to do. I'm fed up of coming home from sixth form, only to feel like I'm still there sat at my desk doing more work.

So yeah, there's 2 gyms near me, one is an actual gym and the other a leisure centre. I have the money, and I have the motivation, I'm just too scared to be go alone :-( at the actual gym we have an all womens gym on the top floor, so I don't understand why I'm so scared?! Does anyone go alone? What's it like? I'm sure after the first time alone I'd be fine and I'd get used to it, and go at times when it's not busy.

Also I know my parents won't be too happy if I join and go, because they're concerned I'm doing it to lose weight (I lost a hell of a lot due to stress, pressure and personal reasons). And that's not the reason. I'm not particularly looking to lose weight, I just want something to do, and of course I'd love to tone up and feel healthier. They wouldn't understand...

Can anyone help?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

I know it can feel really intimidating and scary going on your own, but there's really nothing to worry about. A lot of people go to the gym on their own and, ime, no one gives a **** what anyone else is doing so you don't need to think that people will look at you or anything.

You said you want to "tone up", does this mean you want to use weights? If so I'd advise looking at the fitness forum here so you can work out how to lift without injuring yourself with poor form.
I know the feeling, but honestly, people don't care. You've just got to go and do it, and teach yourself not to think too much. Even if you see someone looking at you, it's 99% likely just accidental eye contact, and they're far more worried about what they look like. Think about it - if you're in a gym and you look around at the other people working out, what are you most likely thinking, and how will it affect them? :smile:

Getting started is hard, particularly if using weights, because you won't know what you are doing. It's a good idea to ask a staff member to show you around the equipment first. Look up exercises on the internet, and make sure you are doing them correctly. Someone else can probably help you on this better than I can.
Reply 3
You won't believe me but I'll say it anyway, nobody will notice you, or judge you. Go and do your thing. Even if the first few times you go all you do is sit on a bike pedalling looking around seeing how things work that's fine. Keep at it, don't just go for three weeks and give in, stick at it!
Reply 4
Since when did you get woman's only gyms :redface:

I need to catch up.
Original post by AdamCee
Since when did you get woman's only gyms :redface:

I need to catch up.

They're like, pink and everything, you literally cannot miss then

lol I'm on my iPhone so be gentle with me pls
Reply 6
Original post by lilypear

Oh really? Do they have like... Sequins on the tread mills?
Original post by AdamCee
Oh really? Do they have like... Sequins on the tread mills?

Not sure, but I'm sure they have posters of women pointing at you going like "YOU CAN DO IT GUUURL"

Why go to a women's only gym
swear half the women at my gym only come to mire me
Original post by redeleven
Why go to a women's only gym
swear half the women at my gym only come to mire me

I don't go to a women's gym but I'm assuming that they're conscious of looking like Niagra falls while they work out in front of men...
Most people go alone, you won't be judged or anything.
I don't go to a women's gym but I'm assuming that they're conscious of looking like Niagra falls while they work out in front of men...

i have that effect on women
Original post by redeleven
i have that effect on women

OI Oi!
Original post by Charl0tte_Emily
I really, really want to join a gym and get into it. I don't have any friends since they're in uni (I'm a year behind), and all I do is A level work because I have nothing else to do. I'm fed up of coming home from sixth form, only to feel like I'm still there sat at my desk doing more work.

So yeah, there's 2 gyms near me, one is an actual gym and the other a leisure centre. I have the money, and I have the motivation, I'm just too scared to be go alone :-( at the actual gym we have an all womens gym on the top floor, so I don't understand why I'm so scared?! Does anyone go alone? What's it like? I'm sure after the first time alone I'd be fine and I'd get used to it, and go at times when it's not busy.

Also I know my parents won't be too happy if I join and go, because they're concerned I'm doing it to lose weight (I lost a hell of a lot due to stress, pressure and personal reasons). And that's not the reason. I'm not particularly looking to lose weight, I just want something to do, and of course I'd love to tone up and feel healthier. They wouldn't understand...

Can anyone help?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sounds to me like it might be worth sorting out a couple of hours with a trainer. Would give you a way to get a feel for that particular gym without having to wander around by yourself and would give you the first step towards having a routine that works for you and with what you want to achieve.
Not sure, but I'm sure they have posters of women pointing at you going like "YOU CAN DO IT GUUURL"

What a fantastic idea, these woman only gyms have cracked it
Original post by AdamCee
What a fantastic idea, these woman only gyms have cracked it

I'll have to go into one sometime soon and let you know what I find. If I don't come back youll know what had happened to me...
I'll have to go into one sometime soon and let you know what I find. If I don't come back youll know what had happened to me...

I've got the Missing Persons Hotline, Police, NPSCC and your parents number on hand. I got this.

EDIT: Why the hell would I call the NPSCC... Not them. Forget that bit.
Original post by AdamCee
I've got the Missing Persons Hotline, Police, NPSCC and your parents number on hand. I got this.

EDIT: Why the hell would I call the NPSCC... Not them. Forget that bit.

Isn't it the NSPCC anyway :sly:
I go to the gym alone all the time (I'm male though so might be a bit different) but everyone is friendly there and there's nothing to worry about.
Isn't it the NSPCC anyway :sly:

I have no idea what that means :lol:

But I'm going to pretend I do.

Yeah. It is?:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest