The Student Room Group

Applying to Oxford for 5 year affiliated Medicine. Advice please?

Hi there.

Basically I'm keen on applying for Medicine at Oxford. I have a 2:1 in a Bachelor's degree and currently studying towards Master's. However my Bachelor's is in an Arts subject and therefore doesn't qualify me for the GEP. I'm instead looking at the standard programme which I believe can be done in 5 years if applying as a graduate.

Is there anyone here who is currently studying Medicine or knows someone studying via this route?

My A-levels were taken some time ago and weren't really great; AAB, before the A* came into place. I would be looking at doing my A-Levels again perhaps in the Summer or next Autumn (if I do it via Cambridge Exam Board right?).

I was thinking of applying to Oxford for the 5 year programme plus 3 GEPs (Nottingham, Warwick and King's) or switching Oxford for another 5 year programme say Aberdeen or Bristol. Additionally I'm looking at Ireland too (GEP and TCD as a mature).

So basically I'm looking for any pointers from Oxford medics and also, I will be 32 by the time I start the course (if I got in), would that be way too old?
Hi jazzy

Re-taking A-Levels would definitely be a good start before applying for medicine. However Oxford might not accept re-takes they're bit strict perhaps you should aim for a different university. They do ask for A*AA.
Reply 2
Hi.

I mean strictly speaking would they not be regarded as new A-levels given the length of time from the last sitting? I suppose I should write to them and ask.
Reply 3
bump
Original post by Jazzy Foot
Hi.

I mean strictly speaking would they not be regarded as new A-levels given the length of time from the last sitting? I suppose I should write to them and ask.

If they are different subjects then they are new a-levels no question. Even if they weren't I'm certain your case would be considered on an individual basis.

Not many graduates apply for Oxford's undergraduate program, and even fewer get in. 26 applied, 2 got interviews, 0 got in last year. Its unclear whether that's because Oxford is tougher on graduates or because they tend to be of lower quality.

http://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics

You would indeed be a decent amount older than the average (which i'd estimate no older than 19). I wouldn't necessarily anticipate that being a problem - oxford students do tend to be more mature than most. Even if it was, at college level you would be able to integrate with other graduate students and 3rd year onwards you'd be joined by the graduate entry students.
Reply 5
Original post by nexttime
If they are different subjects then they are new a-levels no question. Even if they weren't I'm certain your case would be considered on an individual basis.

Not many graduates apply for Oxford's undergraduate program, and even fewer get in. 26 applied, 2 got interviews, 0 got in last year. Its unclear whether that's because Oxford is tougher on graduates or because they tend to be of lower quality.

http://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics

You would indeed be a decent amount older than the average (which i'd estimate no older than 19). I wouldn't necessarily anticipate that being a problem - oxford students do tend to be more mature than most. Even if it was, at college level you would be able to integrate with other graduate students and 3rd year onwards you'd be joined by the graduate entry students.

Hi.

Yes I had read those statistics before and that's what concerns me. Should I ask them when I email them etc as to how they view grads for the standard course?

I know Cambridge specifically have a set number for affiliated entry at some of their colleges and I could apply there for the GEP given they consider any subject. However I get the impression that without the BMAT they are incredibly tough on who they call to interview.
Original post by Jazzy Foot
Hi.

Yes I had read those statistics before and that's what concerns me. Should I ask them when I email them etc as to how they view grads for the standard course?

I know Cambridge specifically have a set number for affiliated entry at some of their colleges and I could apply there for the GEP given they consider any subject. However I get the impression that without the BMAT they are incredibly tough on who they call to interview.

I don't know much more I'm afraid. Its worth e-mailing to see what they say, though I suspect the response will be vague.
Reply 7
Thanks again.

I will write to them but upon reflection it probably isn't worth my while applying to Oxford given the apparent difficulty for grad students to gain admission to the standard programme and Oxford would be the only reason I would be wanting to spend time doing A-levels again. I might focus my attention on Cambridge but would need to do Chemistry A-Level but it would be better spending time doing one A-level (and the money) with a slightly better chance of admission than with Oxford where it appears my chances are 0.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending