The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I honestly don't know where the idea of people not asking people not to rape coming from. Maybe it's just me but did you guys grow up learning that rape is OK? Because I didn't.

Just because people say you could've avoided being raped or mugged doesn't mean that they are saying rape is OK. Everybody says rape is not OK.
Original post by Drunk Punx
Everyone should be able to get wasted and pass out wherever they damn well feel like it without having to fear being raped.

/thread

Exactly

The way some puritans go on about how we should all avoid alcohol is pretty weird tbh, we don't all want to live in the Taleban rules?

Loads of guys go out and get smashed every weekend and end up passed out in their own vomit, they don't expect to get taken advantage of sexually by another guy do they?
Original post by Olderandwiser23
Violating a man or a woman's body sexually cannot be compared to being mugged. One ruins a life the other is annoying as you have to get a new phone and replacement cards

So many assumption. Rape potentially ruins a life but being mugged could also potentially ruin a life. For example, you could be severely injured and handicapped for the rest of your life.

Actually, my grandfather got killed whilst getting mugged. I guess that's just annoying as he had to get his life back but it didn't ruin his life?
Everyone should be able to get wasted and pass out wherever they damn well feel like it without having to fear being raped.

/thread

And everyone has the right to walk in dark fields at night alone.. but they dont as theres a risk of some weirdo killing you. The world's not a nice place, takinh these risks and playing victim after gets no sympathy from me. Was she unaware of the dangers excess alcohol consumption brings? I assume she was so no sympathy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Violating a man or a woman's body sexually cannot be compared to being mugged. One ruins a life the other is annoying as you have to get a new phone and replacement cards

Irrelevant.
Reply 45
Original post by clh_hilary
I honestly don't know where the idea of people not asking people not to rape coming from. Maybe it's just me but did you guys grow up learning that rape is OK? Because I didn't.

It's a handy way for people with strange gender politics to demonise all males.
Original post by MagicNMedicine
Exactly

The way some puritans go on about how we should all avoid alcohol is pretty weird tbh, we don't all want to live in the Taleban rules?

Loads of guys go out and get smashed every weekend and end up passed out in their own vomit, they don't expect to get taken advantage of sexually by another guy do they?

No one is asking you to avoid alcohol lol ... It's only being asked that you avoid drinking too much of it. Didn't your mum tell you not to drink too much?

Those guys don't expect to get ****ed over by a group of lads either ...
if you rape a passed out woman you deserve the death penalty thats number one.
Number two we need to teach a lot of women and men for that matter in england to stop drinking so ****ing much

/thread

Wrong. We live in a world full of rapists and murderers. It's just naivety to think you can get fully wasted and not have any consequences
Original post by matthewduncan
if you rape a passed out woman you deserve the death penalty thats number one.
Number two we need to teach a lot of women and men for that matter in england to stop drinking so ****ing much

Raping someone does not require a death penalty No way
Original post by Clip
It's a handy way for people with strange gender politics to demonise all males.

I also don't understand why people, ie 'feminists', are refusing to admit that rape laws do put females at an advantage in many ways. Hell, for the longest time males couldn't even be legally raped. And still couldn't in some countries.
Reply 51
I also don't understand why people, ie 'feminists', are refusing to admit that rape laws do put females at an advantage in many ways. Hell, for the longest time males couldn't even be legally raped. And still couldn't in some countries.

The only issue I have with sexual offences law is the issue over victim / defendant anonymity, which is a very difficult one. Other than that, I don't see what the big deal is.

I was mugged at knife point by two youths weeks before the summer holidays ... I was in a very dark place indeed.
Original post by Anonymous
http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/30401469

Of course rape is a horrible event and no one - no woman or man - should suffer from it, but, in "Maria's" occasion, couldn't it have been avoid by alcohol moderation?

My opinion might cause some to think I'm misogynistic ... but it just seems to me more could have been done to avoid it.

She talks about how she's allowed to drink as much as she wants ... but putting yourself into a state where you pass out is bad - very bad.

She's obviously right about 'it's his fault for raping me' ... don't get me wrong, he should suffer for it ... but saying it's not 'my fault for passing out' ... is stupid because it was. She had the choice to drink "as much as she wanted", she knew how dangerous alcohol can be, and is.

Anyway, what do you guys think?

/thread

OP is very wrong. BLAME lies with the culprit i.e. the racist. However it would be wise of women who don't want to be raped to not get so drunk to begin with
Original post by Clip
The only issue I have with sexual offences law is the issue over victim / defendant anonymity, which is a very difficult one. Other than that, I don't see what the big deal is.

I'm not saying it's problematic though I think defendant should've anonymity at least until they are charged and age of consent should be entirely replaced by Romeo and Juliet laws, I'm just saying that 'feminists' I know insist that any discussion about anything is inherently suppressive to females. They don't understand the concept of innocent before guilty and therefore believes that anything but to jail all accused rapists automatically would be sexist.

Don't be so stupid as to imagine being mugged is simply like being pick pocketed
Original post by DontCallMeMongo
Don't be so stupid as to imagine being mugged is simply like being pick pocketed

I'm not saying it is. But you get over it a lot easier than someone who rapes you.
I'm not saying it is. But you get over it a lot easier than someone who rapes you.

A lot easier? No. It still causes anxiety and causes people not to leave their homes
Original post by DontCallMeMongo
A lot easier? No. It still causes anxiety and causes people not to leave their homes

I'm assuming you've never been raped.
Reply 59
I'm not saying it's problematic though I think defendant should've anonymity at least until they are charged and age of consent should be entirely replaced by Romeo and Juliet laws, I'm just saying that 'feminists' I know insist that any discussion about anything is inherently suppressive to females. They don't understand the concept of innocent before guilty and therefore believes that anything but to jail all accused rapists automatically would be sexist.

It depends if you think that any of these people actually believe or understand what they are saying - or if it's just another branch of adolescent politics.

Walking around university there are always people who will tell you about the evils of capitalism, kill the Tories, Freedom for Gaza, and so on.

Walk around almost anywhere else, and these are extremely marginal issues.

People have time for this kind of thing at this age, and spout whatever it is they want. When they grow up, most people kind of forget all about it and get on with their lives.

Latest

Trending

Trending